Anyone use the No-headphone-jack FM3 with headphones yet?

What kind of headphones you gonna use? Most of the cheap HP amps are OK for ear buds, but I'd spend
more if you're using studio headphones or really good IEMs.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the headphone amp vs mixer? I’m planning to buy a small mixer if got an invite, cost the same as headphone amp

What is the difference between the headphone amp vs mixer? I’m planning to buy a small mixer if got an invite, cost the same as headphone amp

The headphone amplifier is a circuit and some jacks/controls.
It can be in a box by itself or added to anything - like our laptops. :)
The cost is factored into the mixer if you go that route.

Last edited:
Might be worth trying the y-cable before spending more money on a headphone amp. The AX8 worked just fine with in-ears and headphones with just the adapter. Can't see the FM3 being that much different as far as output goes.

Might be worth trying the y-cable before spending more money on a headphone amp. The AX8 worked just fine with in-ears and headphones with just the adapter. Can't see the FM3 being that much different as far as output goes.

Gonna depend on whether your headphones are high or low impedance.
Less expensive and smaller headphones might work without an amp.
I'm betting his ATs are high impedance and will need some extra juice.

The headphone amplifier is a circuit and some jacks/controls.
It can be in a box by itself or added to anything - like our laptops. :)
The cost is factored into the mixer if you go that route.
Thanks Donnie.
I might have another question since my stuff always have headphone out. If we are using mixer or headphone amp, does it color the amp tone from FM3 at all?

Gonna depend on whether your headphones are high or low impedance.
Less expensive and smaller headphones might work without an amp.
I'm betting his ATs are high impedance and will need some extra juice.
True, I used the AX8 with "less expensive" Skullcandy headphones and ear buds but used 64 Audio A3's and AKG K271 Studios as well and they were just fine without a headphone amp. But who knows. 64 Audio and AKG might fall into the "less expensive" category as well since they don't require an amp.

Most Audio Technica headphones are low impedance (<50 ohms) so anything from the AD series should work well. The R70x are the only ones I've seen with a high impedance that aren't active.

True, I used the AX8 with "less expensive" Skullcandy headphones and ear buds but used 64 Audio A3's and AKG K271 Studios as well and they were just fine without a headphone amp. But who knows. 64 Audio and AKG might fall into the "less expensive".

Just to be clear, I'm not equating less expensive with 'cheap' in any way at all.
Impedance relates more to size than cost really.
A larger voicecoil usually means a higher impedance.

64 Audio A3 = 11 ohms
AKG K271 = 55 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT880 = 250 ohms

This is why it depends.

I've got an old pair of Sony consumer headphones. They are probably 25 years old. I have no idea what their impedance is. Anyway, I plug them in halfway to "FX Send L" and they work, sound great, albeit mono.
Output 2 pot controls the volume and they get plenty loud. Fine with me for practicing. HTH.
If you're hot for an FM-3, don't let the dedicated headphone jack keep you from jumping on one of these early boxes. They are awesome!

My studio monitors now suck in comparison.
Taking a blind guess but check the room acoustics (might be wrong, of course). It can make a huge difference. If in doubt, try them outdoors (facing away from a wall or ideally a camping table in free space).
Also, studio monitors aren't meant to sound pretty (E.g I've had JBL Control 1 and Genelec 1030 stand in the same spot in my living room, which is acoustically rotten. The JBLs are more pleasant if you just listen casually).
Just pointing that out, headphones rule out the room acoustics. Might be a free lunch :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom