Anyone use the Axe-Fx with an Acoustic?

@BreadTooth used to do primarily acoustic stuff, but I think he had to stop playing due to health issues.

I know others have gotten good results with piezo equipped electrics and tone matched acoustics.

I do. Gibson J-45 with under saddle pickup (LR Baggs).

I've done a lot of acoustic stuff with a Maton EM 425c 12 string and a Kay Yiari Nylon. I've had great results very happy with the sound I got.

I can share a patch if you'd like.

Another J-45/L.R. Baggs user here. Works great. I can feel like Tim Reynolds with the swells and the delays. :)

Hang on... Are we talking about Acoustic guitars with Piezo pickups or Electric guitars with Piezo saddles?

I made my own tonematch of two of my acoustic guitars and it works great. I just set up a mic like I was going to record the guitar, then plugged in the piezo pickup and tonematched the mic against the piezo. The pickup sound is vastly improved.

Yep, for someone trying to get realistic mic’d acoustic tone, using impulse responses or tonematch are the best option (assuming you have a decent guitar and pickup to start with). I use a Fishman rare earth blend pickup (magnetic PU + gooseneck condenser mic), and when blended and tonematched to a mic’d up acoustic, it sounds amazingly like the mic’d guitar.

I use a Logidy EPSi (hardware impulse response loader) when I want to downsize or do a simple solo acoustic gig where it’s more about the vocals, and I use my Axe FX if I am playing guitar in a band (acoustic and/or electric) or leading worship. I have the same selection of impulse response (“cabs”) on both devices.

I tried, but went back to my sound I can get for my acoustics.rig which consists of a Pendulum Audio SPS-1 to a Yamaha REV500 for reverb. IMHO, the Pendulum Audio preamp is the best sound for my acoustics. I have been using that rig since the 80's.

I have some pretty affordable Samick Greg Bennet electro acoustic and it sounds amazing through the Axe FX II.

I'm using a L.R. Baggs Lyric mic on my J45 and run it through my AX8. I'm using a parametric eq before the tube pre and a filter for a boost
after the pre. Compressor, chorus, reverb and delay are on foot switches if needed and a volume pedal is used for boosting solos.

Can someone please do a video of tonematching an acoustic guitar? I mean and actual acoustic guitar with a built in pick up being tonematched with the sound of really good mics?

I have a Washburn acoustic/electric that I've plugged into my AxFx. Works quite well and I got some pretty interesting tones with it. However, I've never setup a specific patch for this type of rig but I would be confident that I could create something that works perfectly fine for any situation.

I've done a lot of acoustic stuff with a Maton EM 425c 12 string and a Kay Yiari Nylon. I've had great results very happy with the sound I got.

I can share a patch if you'd like.

What do you think of the Maton 12 string? I am looking for a new top 12 string. Had Taylors and some others but still not fully satisfied. Thinking about Guild F512 or so now.

If you can post the 12 string patch that would be great. Always good to see how others do it.

Back
Top Bottom