Anyone use Sirius XM?

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I just bought the wife a new car and it came with a trial subscription to Sirius. Is it just me or is it the absolute worst sounding piece of crap product ever? I'm not an audio snob by a long shot; this is nothing but the factory premium system and it sounds more than adequate with MP3's, FM, etc. I put it on Sirius and it's just swooshy garbage.

It really can't be that damn bad can it?

I buy a new ride every 2 years due to the mileage I put on them for business.. Every one I get with premium sound packages. You are not the only one who thinks that way. It is complete garbage! Overly compressed, super thin sounding, and very few channels I'd even consider listening too. Not to mention around tall buildings it gets worse and fades out a lot. Don't pay for the subscription when the trial runs out. They will call and mail you stuff repeatedly begging you to buy into it.

Shouldn't sound any better or worse than the radio or mp3. I would contact Sirius. All formats sound similar quality in my TL.

I buy a new ride every 2 years due to the mileage I put on them for business.. Every one I get with premium sound packages. You are not the only one who thinks that way. It is complete garbage! Overly compressed, super thin sounding, and very few channels I'd even consider listening too. Not to mention around tall buildings it gets worse and fades out a lot. Don't pay for the subscription when the trial runs out. They will call and mail you stuff repeatedly begging you to buy into it.

FWIW, when my trial runs out, I negotiate for the 'trial price' again. Silly game but they'll play it to keep subscribers. I have about 8 stations I bounce around on plus the traffic station helps. So for $35/5-6 months(after stupid tax), it's worth it for me. Reception is not great around power lines and trains.

I have it in my Pathfinder.
Compared to the regular radio stations....I agree, it's mushy.
When I flip to a station that is not XM, it has a larger stereo spread, is louder and fuller.

I bought a new truck this year with a 1 year to XM. Not going to renew it as it sounds like AM radio. I got 5k plus songs on my Microsoft Zune that sits plugged into my trucks USB. I use that and bluetooth on my phone.
I checked into the sound system and I would have to upgrade it to a HD version to get any kind of decent noise from XM radio.
Anyone go HD on XM ?

I have it and use it a bunch; both in my car and on my phone. I have noticed that some channels do have a lo-fi feel to them, but for me the channels and programming outweighs the negatives.

At least you can get Sirius!

I'm in Saudi Arabia & most of the cars here are US imports, mine included & I have a mustang with the sirius option &..... No sirius here! D'oh!

That said, if its as bad as you say, I now miss not having it less. :pride:

Merry Christmas to you all.

If you drive cross country it's fine, no need to find local channels. For my one mile commute, it's not necessary so I let mine lapse.

I had it for a year. The quality depends on the station. The highest is 128kbps, but the most of them are worse. More like 96kbps.
It is OLD technology!!!!

Terrible sound!!!!

It's not great but it beats dealing with a gazillion commercials and DJ's who insist on talking over the beginning and end of songs. Strangely I find the quality loss less noticeable than Pandora. Perhaps due to the environment. For some reason I cannot listen to Pandora. It sounds like there is a brick-wall lowpass at 8 kHz.

I have a 32GB mini USB 2.0 plugged into the radio. Its about 70% full. Put it on random shuffle and let it ride. Also, having a mini USB 2.0 stick keeps the USB out of the way because its damn near flat mount.

Also, no commercials or DJs haha

I have the same thing, 32gb goods of USB goodness. Works great for those moments when you can't find anything good on the satellite, which does happen from time to time.

Sent from Moto X

We have it on our Dish satellite subscription. I've run through the channels (with their goofy names) and there hasn't been anything I wanted to listen to.

I just bought the wife a new car and it came with a trial subscription to Sirius. Is it just me or is it the absolute worst sounding piece of crap product ever? I'm not an audio snob by a long shot; this is nothing but the factory premium system and it sounds more than adequate with MP3's, FM, etc. I put it on Sirius and it's just swooshy garbage.

It really can't be that damn bad can it?

Its not you. I canceled as soon as my free subscription was up. The codec they use sucks. The cymbals on drums turn in to a swishy mess. It sounds like internet radio from the 90s. I just use Rhapsody on my phone w/ high quality.

I agree...had the trials on a couple of my vehicles and never renewed it. Why pay the money when you can stream from a device for free and get pretty much the same tunes that they play over and over. Quality isn't there with Pandora, Aol Radio, Accuradio and others....but, it's free and better than the FM DJ's and commercials. Not worth the hype anymore.

It's not great but it beats dealing with a gazillion commercials and DJ's who insist on talking over the beginning and end of songs. Strangely I find the quality loss less noticeable than Pandora. Perhaps due to the environment. For some reason I cannot listen to Pandora. It sounds like there is a brick-wall lowpass at 8 kHz.

Agreed, which is why I prefer Spotify. I find Spotify has the best sound of the streaming services and I can get the most leveraged control over it.

They claimed I had Sirius on my car when I bought it -they forgot to mention there was no antena ha- . But since I have headers , no cats , muffler deletes and a blower I cant hear anything inside the car anyway. Just listen to the sweet sound of V8 power !

They claimed I had Sirius on my car when I bought it -they forgot to mention there was no antena ha- . But since I have headers , no cats , muffler deletes and a blower I cant hear anything inside the car anyway. Just listen to the sweet sound of V8 power !

My kind of car. What kind of weapon is this?

Back
Top Bottom