Anyone use/like keyboard amps as FRFR?

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
Like most everyone I'm looking for an inexpensive FRFR. A Roland keyboard amp was recommended (a 65W one is $350). Any use or like keyboard amps and can recommend one as a monitor/-in-the-room amp?

No.

I use an SLA-1 into a VHT 2x12 at present. I have tried many FRFR solutions to date, and have my Own cheapish PA, and a Pro-Tools recording setup with nearfield monitors.

I tries a couple of the Roland Keyboard amps a few weeks back as a possible solution (as I play keys too I thought 2 birds etc).

I can honestly say t was the worst solution I have ever tried. Iw was OK in teh low/mids but the top end was harsh harsh harsh. I couldnt tame it with either the amps EQ or anything in teh Axe.

Id really look elsewhere. Having said that the Traynors have has some fair reviews on here - just dont use the rolands.

IMO of course

Got on e-bay for a good price, the atomic will be full-price for some time,and he preferred it anyway. check out the adds bud' and hope to be lucky :D

I tried a pair of Traynor K-1s, and liked them pretty well, the I/O options and headphone option are pluses on them. They were cute and powerful enough to hold up with ease in a rock mix.

jiagap said:
They were cute and powerful enough to hold up with ease in a rock mix.

Did they sound guitar-amp like? I'm debating between a solution like stereo K1's or a Reactor FR.

I've been using a Traynor K4 with the Axe-Fx on live shows for about a year. It's pretty good, especially if you can get a gently used one.

I run the Axe-Fx through Channel 1 and a Moog Little Phatty through Channel 2, and submix these to FOH through the L/R balanced direct line-outs on the back (XLR).

I also use the Traynor K4 in its "kick-back" position as a stage monitor. It has a fourth channel that's designed to take a line-level monitor feed from the board and mix it in with the instrument channels. From this one unit, I get Guitar (Axe-Fx), Keys (Moog) and a monitor mix on stage.

Manufacturer's product page: Traynor K4

yyz67 said:
jiagap said:
They were cute and powerful enough to hold up with ease in a rock mix.

Did they sound guitar-amp like? I'm debating between a solution like stereo K1's or a Reactor FR.

I may not be the best person to ask that - I am not sure if I have the acumen to speak authoritatively to the specific question. I liked them and would have kept them had not one of them fritzed out on me a couple weeks into it. I got great tones out of them.

I have a Traynor K4 and it wasn't good at all for modelled guitar - nor as an FRFR of any kind - the Keyboard purists say it's terrible even for Digital Piano - the top end was impossibly harsh. I don't have an Axe Effects, just a POD HD500.

I'm actually on a serious search right now for an FRFR for all the instruments I play - Keys, Electric Guitar (through a Modeller) and acoustic guitar. If price is no object the choice would be easy - a pair QSC K12's (or similar) - Atomic CLR's.

For a solution under $1000 - ( and if any chance lower than that ), I have been looking at Keyboard amps that might have a better sound quality like the Motion Sound KP 200 or 500, used powered wedges - Yorkville E10p's come to mind. I have heard of a trick where a Fender Mustang II-III with all its own modelling bypassed (using the aux in - mini plug straight to the power amp) sounds good with POD HD500's (sort of by accident) Apparently the speaker is quite characterless. There's also the Tech 21 Power engine. ( fine for electric guitar but not acoustic and Keys)

Right now I've rented a brand new FRFR Powered monitor from Yorkville called the NX10C - its a 300 watt 10" coaxial driver in a tiny box.... One of them sound fabulous with a modeller, even without any EQ.... all it really asks for is another one to play in stereo.

I'm interested, as I have a K4 and I'm scratching my head on a way to make a modeller sound good through it - what sort of guitar tones are you using with the Fractal and the K4? Maybe I built my HD500 patches at home with headphones and it just didn't translate to getting blasted out the K4 in the live space. I'll out the editor on a Laptop and try again. I as well use Keys and guitar live through one amp.

If it's possible to get the K4 to run a Modeller - I want to know how to do it.

if i'm forced to use a keyboard amp for guitar, i usually cut all the bass and treble with the amp controls - keyboard amps always hype those. sometimes i turn the mids up too.

I use an old roland cube 60 in my B rig.

Light, cheap and definetely not bad sounding at all.

Yes, I use an old bass/keyboards FBT combo amps when i need something small and light. IMO tho, "cheap FRFR" is a contraddiction in terms and won't lead you to satisfaction, unless you happen to come across something which sounds the way you like it (which would not be "FRFR" anyway). My FBT does colour the sound, I use an output preset in order to compensate and get a sound I like. But on areally linear system my sound is rather different. :)

Back
Top Bottom