Anyone use Input Dynamics?

Do you use Input Dynamics in the Amp block?

• No

Votes: 156 60.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 102 39.5%

• Total voters
There are many features that have been added to the Amp block in particular specifically so you don't need to add another block.

Output Compressor
Input Dynamics
Input EQ
Boost (and later, boost types)
Etc, etc...
And I think that is great! Is that your position on the input dynamics versus dynamics in the compressor too then I assume?

Last edited:
It's in my list above ;)

Honestly, I don't use most of them (at least not regularly), but it's great that they are there. I do occasionally experiment with them and other more advanced options.
Sorry... missed that!

I’d rather he leave it in and just add the new feature too and let the folks who are complaining of too many parameters just learn to skip over what they don’t use. For the life of me I don’t get that complaint. I do it for all the features I’m not ready for yet as I continue to learn the unit. But I was trying to be understanding of the position he must be in.

Sorry... missed that!

I’d rather he leave it in and just add the new feature too and let the folks who are complaining of too many parameters just learn to skip over what they don’t use. For the life of me I don’t get that complaint. I do it for all the features I’m not ready for yet as I continue to learn the unit. But I was trying to be understanding of the position he must be in.
Well... Being new you've not experienced the "history" of parameters getting removed... ;)

Or amp models getting updated... Etc.

For every person that loves the latest change to X, there is another one whose whole rig is predicated on the old X.

It's a circus! Good thing Cliff is a tolerant guy :D

I think it would be a great feature if the original amp controls could be highlighted or some way indicated in the interface. It would be especially helpful when using an amp you have no experience with... But I'm totally fine working in the current paradigm.

Well... Being new you've not experienced the "history" of parameters getting removed... ;)

Or amp models getting updated... Etc.

For every person that loves the latest change to X, there is another one whose whole rig is predicated on the old X.

It's a circus! Good thing Cliff is a tolerant guy :D

I think it would be a great feature if the original amp controls could be highlighted or some way indicated in the interface. It would be especially helpful when using an amp you have no experience with... But I'm totally fine working in the current paradigm.
Well I did read about the “Character” parameter being removed not long after I discovered it was a thing.
That was disappointing and I never even used it. So I can imagine the pain of what you are speaking of.

I find that at some point I slowed down on using the advanced parameters, especially with the AXE3. I still use sag, negative feedback, dynamic presence, and a few others on some of my presets. But even though I don't use them a lot, I do like the fact that they are there.

I just changed my vote to “yes”.

This thread caused me to focus on this parameter all day yesterday. Actually quite cool. Tried it on both fenders, comets, and the dumbbell clean & ODS.

From now on I will always look to this parameter. Really changes the way the amplifier reacts to string amplitude or guitar volume knob.

Can’t believe I never noticed.
Doh! :eek::confused:;):):cool:

FracPad (free Windows version) has a skin that only shows "Realistic Settings" and the real amp and drive names

That's what the non-tweakers need

FracPad.jpg

This is just crazy talk.... another version for firmware/interface?

Axe-Edit already has "Realistic Settings" (if you think about it). Just stay at the top level and you're a "non-tweaker". No one if forcing you to delve into low-level areas. Problem solved.

Having the advanced params there is not hurting anyone.

I find in most cases the stock block is usually fine, with a few high-level adjustments I'm good to go. However, it's nice to know you can go there (low-level) in those rare cases (IMHO).

This is just crazy talk.... another version for firmware/interface?

Axe-Edit already has "Realistic Settings" (if you think about it). Just stay at the top level and you're a "non-tweaker". No one if forcing you to delve into low-level areas. Problem solved.

Having the advanced params there is not hurting anyone.

I find in most cases the stock block is usually fine, with a few high-level adjustments I'm good to go. However, it's nice to know you can go there (low-level) in those rare cases (IMHO).

The difference between staying at the “basics” page and using a “skin,” like in the picture in the comment you quoted is this: consider something like the Morgan AC20 models. Those amps have all of 3 controls, while the “basics” tab still provides you with the same controls as every other amp. Or consider a Recto, which doesn’t have a resonance control. The “skin” (presumably) could strip those parameters not found on the “real amp” away.

I’m not disagreeing with your comment about the basics tab being plenty for 95% of applications, but the skin is a neat idea and I think might be enjoyable to those with “real life” experience with a certain amp.

What I’ve asked for previously is that
A) the controls that are actually on the amp could be highlighted, or the other controls deemphasized graphically, and
B) that resetting the block would take you somewhere other than noon or naught on all the controls...I.e. having more reasonable defaults when resetting.

What I’ve asked for previously is that
A) the controls that are actually on the amp could be highlighted, or the other controls deemphasized graphically, and
B) that resetting the block would take you somewhere other than noon or naught on all the controls...I.e. having more reasonable defaults when resetting.
"A" could be accomplished in several ways, for example by creating an additional page where the "authentic" controls are replicated (and they should appear/disappear based on the selected amp model obviously)
Probably it'd be more functional (you'll have all the controls in one page) and easier to implement than highlighting them.

The Dynamics type in the Compressor block is the same thing with more control.

I was just tweaking this parameter and wondering what, exactly, it is doing. It is listed under "Output Compressor" but seems to behave as an input compressor (before the pre-amp).

Where does it sit in the chain? Is putting a Dynamics Compressor block pre-input give the same effect?

I was just tweaking this parameter and wondering what, exactly, it is doing. It is listed under "Output Compressor" but seems to behave as an input compressor (before the pre-amp).

Where does it sit in the chain? Is putting a Dynamics Compressor block pre-input give the same effect?
To my ears, it’s a compressor/expander that sits somewhere downstream for the amp’s input, but uses the input to feed its sidechain (I could be wrong about its location, so don’t take that as gospel). It seems to influence output level more than an input-mounted compander would.

Last edited:
Please don't replace the Input Dynamics parameter. I do use it quite a bit to tweak reactivity.

People have complained about the number of parameters for years now and my advice is always the same; I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them. My hunch is that most people who complain about the number of parameters don't really use most of the advanced parameters anyway.

Last edited:
I use it when the sound im after asks for it. It can be useful but i can do with the Comp block, unless its post input trim.
Is it pre input trim or post? Never checked.

I use it when the sound im after asks for it. It can be useful but i can do with the Comp block, unless its post input trim.

Having it instantiated in the Dynamics section of the Amp block is really convenient, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom