1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Input Dynamics?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by FractalAudio, Jan 4, 2019.

?

Do you use Input Dynamics in the Amp block?

1. No

97 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Yes

38 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. #81 King’s X - Jason, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    King’s X - Jason

King’s X - Jason
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

And I think that is great! Is that your position on the input dynamics versus dynamics in the compressor too then I assume?

2. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

It's in my list above ;)

Honestly, I don't use most of them (at least not regularly), but it's great that they are there. I do occasionally experiment with them and other more advanced options.

King’s X - Jason likes this.
  3. King’s X - Jason

King’s X - Jason
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Sorry... missed that!

I’d rather he leave it in and just add the new feature too and let the folks who are complaining of too many parameters just learn to skip over what they don’t use. For the life of me I don’t get that complaint. I do it for all the features I’m not ready for yet as I continue to learn the unit. But I was trying to be understanding of the position he must be in.

4. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Well... Being new you've not experienced the "history" of parameters getting removed... ;)

Or amp models getting updated... Etc.

For every person that loves the latest change to X, there is another one whose whole rig is predicated on the old X.

It's a circus! Good thing Cliff is a tolerant guy :D

I think it would be a great feature if the original amp controls could be highlighted or some way indicated in the interface. It would be especially helpful when using an amp you have no experience with... But I'm totally fine working in the current paradigm.

5. King’s X - Jason

King’s X - Jason
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Well I did read about the “Character” parameter being removed not long after I discovered it was a thing.
    That was disappointing and I never even used it. So I can imagine the pain of what you are speaking of.

6. bdrepko

bdrepko
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I find that at some point I slowed down on using the advanced parameters, especially with the AXE3. I still use sag, negative feedback, dynamic presence, and a few others on some of my presets. But even though I don't use them a lot, I do like the fact that they are there.

7. ∞Fractals

∞Fractals
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I just changed my vote to “yes”.

This thread caused me to focus on this parameter all day yesterday. Actually quite cool. Tried it on both fenders, comets, and the dumbbell clean & ODS.

From now on I will always look to this parameter. Really changes the way the amplifier reacts to string amplitude or guitar volume knob.

Can’t believe I never noticed.
    Doh! :eek::confused:;):):cool:

APOGEE123 likes this.
  8. DLC86

DLC86
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

It seems that Cliff wanting to remove a parameter actually makes people use it more. LOL!

bdrepko and ∞Fractals like this.
  9. bdrepko

bdrepko
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

We all want what we cant have.

DLC86 likes this.
  10. Sharka

Sharka
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

This is just crazy talk.... another version for firmware/interface?

Axe-Edit already has "Realistic Settings" (if you think about it). Just stay at the top level and you're a "non-tweaker". No one if forcing you to delve into low-level areas. Problem solved.

Having the advanced params there is not hurting anyone.

I find in most cases the stock block is usually fine, with a few high-level adjustments I'm good to go. However, it's nice to know you can go there (low-level) in those rare cases (IMHO).

11. Brian Angiel

Brian Angiel
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

The difference between staying at the “basics” page and using a “skin,” like in the picture in the comment you quoted is this: consider something like the Morgan AC20 models. Those amps have all of 3 controls, while the “basics” tab still provides you with the same controls as every other amp. Or consider a Recto, which doesn’t have a resonance control. The “skin” (presumably) could strip those parameters not found on the “real amp” away.

I’m not disagreeing with your comment about the basics tab being plenty for 95% of applications, but the skin is a neat idea and I think might be enjoyable to those with “real life” experience with a certain amp.

Piing and DLC86 like this.
  12. greiswig

greiswig
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

What I’ve asked for previously is that
    A) the controls that are actually on the amp could be highlighted, or the other controls deemphasized graphically, and
    B) that resetting the block would take you somewhere other than noon or naught on all the controls...I.e. having more reasonable defaults when resetting.

13. DLC86

DLC86
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

"A" could be accomplished in several ways, for example by creating an additional page where the "authentic" controls are replicated (and they should appear/disappear based on the selected amp model obviously)
    Probably it'd be more functional (you'll have all the controls in one page) and easier to implement than highlighting them.