Anyone Use Celestion-plus Brand IRs?

RackAddict

Previous handle "Djenter"
Im still looking for Impulse responses that 'hit the spot.' With any of my modeling or DI stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with the Celestion brand Impulse responses sold on the celestionplus website? The clips sound pretty decent.

Bought a ton of them and really don’t like them. I’d recommend only trying one before trying to jump in on a bundle deal.

That sucks.
I wonder if they are capturing their chinese made speakers or their english made ones.

From your username I assume you are into heavier styles of music? If so I can highly recommend Mesa V30 cab packs from:

York Audio (his latest pack is amazing)

Valhallir (I just picked up the MB-1992 pack of his and it too is just amazing with a huge range of mics, including mid and far field captures which can add some nice beef)

ML Sound Lab (my favourite is his latest pack of a Mesa Traditional Cab). But for Djent he actually has a few packs built for Periphery - can’t get much better than that as an endorsement. York also has a great Zilla pack too.

And actually ive been listening to some Ownhammer clips and they sound quite pleasant.

(As for my amp modeling, I am just on an HX stomp but wanting to upgrade to an Axe FX 3 or FM3.)

Last edited:
From your username I assume you are into heavier styles of music? If so I can highly recommend Mesa V30 cab packs from:

York Audio (his latest pack is amazing)

Valhallir (I just picked up the MB-1992 pack of his and it too is just amazing with a huge range of mics, including mid and far field captures which can add some nice beef)

ML Sound Lab (my favourite is his latest pack of a Mesa Traditional Cab). But for Djent he actually has a few packs built for Periphery - can’t get much better than that as an endorsement. York also has a great Zilla pack too.

Yes what VidarAus said. ML and York are my favorites. Never liked the Celestion offerings. Ownhammer has some great stuff too.

I spoke with someone who shoots IR’s and he also heard the weird high end response thing. I know there are pros who get a lot of mileage out of them but I just don’t dig them. Not for lack of trying...I have about a dozen of their cabs including the Suhr pack. And I love the concept and format...just not the execution.

Ownhammer just released an IR pack that I picked up yesterday called the Revolution bundle. It’s got 8 different speaker cabs and runs $20. Compared to the old packs it’s more stripped down which is a good thing for them. I’m pretty much just using one cab type for everything (Marshall 4x12 with old greenbacks) but that would be a good place to start if you’re branching into IR’s IMO.

Beyond that, I would play with the Fractal and see which factory cabs you like and explore more from that brand. York Audio, ML, ValhallIr, Celestion, Ownhammer, etc.

So what I am gleaning then is apparently the quality of a signal in an axe fx 3 depends heavily on the impulse response.
When I had the afx 2, I noticed that the factory stock ones were ok. Mediocre.

Some third party ones were a tad better like the own hammer and redwirez, and but other companies or impulse brands or packs absolutely horrible very wooly and dull (like a home studio recording) - I will not say which so I dont offend the wrong company, but likely the bad ones were made on cheap converters and dull mic pres (as those people's home recordings of real mics on cabs also sound just as weak). On top of that, they are probabily sending the sweep of the impulse response to a guitar head which makes it sound even woolier and was not even reccomended by the fractal support staff emails to me so I dont know why the hell such companies are even allowed to be selling stuff like that. (I should have been asking for my money back but its whey after the fact now)

So apparently then, what would happen then if someone or some firm just went nuts and used a 10,000 dollar D to A converter with the sweep going through that, amplified by a 10,000 + dollar Power amp (not a guitar head nor a cheap power amp), to the cab to the mic, into a very expensive mic pre as well without color so you get the full depth and full airy sound (maybe Api or some very transparent preamp) and then into a 10,000 dollar A to D converter and that is the impulse response?
And if one goes tha crazy then may as well have these done with at least 10, grand in cables.

I request this is because any company I have ever listen to that makes impulse responses still does not quite sound quite as airy like this. (Recommended to be listening with studio headphones or monitors).

Can some company please do this and make some ultra expensive impulse responses? I mean whats this Segborn guy using? He says its api pres. That explains the more open top end than the neves in this sound. But api is not more expensive its just different. Maybe its more about the conversion. Maybe this guy rented some crazy converter for this experiment that is worth more than a new mid sized sedan.

Sure most people filter the top end but filtering something so high resolution has such a unique quality in the filtering.
Also the bottom end in that clips is so freaking deep.

So if the Axe 3 puts out a proper amp simulation from the signal, then if the impulse is ultra great, then maybe it will be ultra satisfying too.

Last edited:
*and im not saying that neves dont have the air, im just saying that one needs to do everything possible to get the full depth in the impulse to make up for the fact that its all a model as much as possible. Because there is such magic that happens when you put a mic in front of a cab and you have good stuff to capture it on. Its unexplainable and you can tell if you have the sensitivity in your ears.

I mean this clip is just insane. I mean that thing is breathing completely free.

But with that being said, I find the debates in the industry so hilarious to listen to because a lot of the guys sticking their mics in front of their cabs sound more dull than the digital modelers. Which testifies further to the theory that needs to further be tested.

Last edited:
So what I am gleaning then is apparently the quality of a signal in an axe fx 3 depends heavily on the impulse response.
When I had the afx 2, I noticed that the factory stock ones were ok. Mediocre.

Some third party ones were a tad better like the own hammer and redwirez, and but other companies or impulse brands or packs absolutely horrible very wooly and dull (like a home studio recording) - I will not say which so I dont offend the wrong company, but likely the bad ones were made on cheap converters and dull mic pres (as those people's home recordings of real mics on cabs also sound just as weak). On top of that, they are probabily sending the sweep of the impulse response to a guitar head which makes it sound even woolier and was not even reccomended by the fractal support staff emails to me so I dont know why the hell such companies are even allowed to be selling stuff like that. (I should have been asking for my money back but its whey after the fact now)

So apparently then, what would happen then if someone or some firm just went nuts and used a 10,000 dollar D to A converter with the sweep going through that, amplified by a 10,000 + dollar Power amp (not a guitar head nor a cheap power amp), to the cab to the mic, into a very expensive mic pre as well without color so you get the full depth and full airy sound (so then Neve is out of the question and instead maybe Api or some very transparent sterile power amp) and then into a 10,000 dollar A to D converter and that is the impulse response?
And if one goes tha crazy then may as well have these done with at least 10, grand in cables.

the reason I request this is because any company I have ever listen to that makes impulse responses still does sound like this. (Listen to this with studio headphones)

Can some company please do this and make some ultra expensive impulse responses? I mean whats this Segborn guy using? He says its api pres. That explains the more open top end than the neves in this sound. But api is not more expensive its just different. Maybe its more about the conversion. Maybe this guy rented some crazy converter for this experiment that is worth more than a new mid sized sedan.

Sure most people filter the top end but filtering something so high depth has such a unique quality in the filtering.

Also the bottom end in that clips is so freaking deep.

So if the axe 3 puts out an amp sim from the signal, then if the impulse is ultra great, then maybe it will be ultra satisfying too.

I’ll say this as an appreciation for anyone who makes impulse responses... it is truly a labor of love and passion. And it can get very expensive. I read your post, crunched some numbers, and learned that if my space burned to the ground, it would cost me (and don’t tell my wife) $27,775 in gear to do what I do now. And that doesn’t include my computer, software, my Fractal, cabs to shoot,
guitars for testing, or the cost to build my own studio and professionally treat it... let alone the time it takes to gain knowledge and experience in order to make the captures accurate and musical.

A small number of trusted artists and friends who have watched me make IR’s can attest to the fact that when you load one of my IR’s, it is IDENTICAL to the actual mic’ed up cab in a studio. Every IR producer has their “sound,” so I think you just have to buy some packs from various producers to see which flavor resonates with you. The great part about living in the digital age is that even though it costs a lot of money to make these, the consumer can get their hands on some of the world’s most coveted pieces of gear for the price of a delivery pizza.

So explore a little bit. You’ll know when something hits that sweet spot for you, and you’ll value it far more than the 15-20 bucks you invest in a cab pack. :) Enjoy the journey! It’s worth your time.

I’ll say this as an appreciation for anyone who makes impulse responses... it is truly a labor of love and passion. And it can get very expensive. I read your post, crunched some numbers, and learned that if my space burned to the ground, it would cost me (and don’t tell my wife) $27,775 in gear to do what I do now. And that doesn’t include my computer, software, my Fractal, cabs to shoot,
guitars for testing, or the cost to build my own studio and professionally treat it... let alone the time it takes to gain knowledge and experience in order to make the captures accurate and musical.

A small number of trusted artists and friends who have watched me make IR’s can attest to the fact that when you load one of my IR’s, it is IDENTICAL to the actual mic’ed up cab in a studio. Every IR producer has their “sound,” so I think you just have to buy some packs from various producers to see which flavor resonates with you. The great part about living in the digital age is that even though it costs a lot of money to make these, the consumer can get their hands on some of the world’s most coveted pieces of gear for the price of a delivery pizza.

So explore a little bit. You’ll know when something hits that sweet spot for you, and you’ll value it far more than the 15-20 bucks you invest in a cab pack. :) Enjoy the journey! It’s worth your time.

Ok thanks buddy, I heard good stuff about your packs. Will try those out.

I have 3 very rare oversized Marshall mode 4 cabs that I need to get captured.

Two of the mode 4s are the Bottom cabs but one is 16ohm. One of them has the english v30s made for marshall similar to the mesa v30s which are also english. The other MF is the MF400B 8ohm with the k100s. And a third one is the angled with 75s. Looking for a 4th Bottom cab to put in 2 mesa v30s x shape with 75s.

Problem is need a proper power amp to push the sweep and Im not sure if I trust a 1000 or so power amp to be neutral enough. Running out of budget completely here after this axe fx 3 purchase. Nothing left in terms of going for proper gear for IR capture such as the power amp.

I need to find someone with the right gear to capture these in the area in Ontario here.

Last edited:
So far out of all IR brands ive auditioned, 3 sigma sounds like it has the most depth to me with the airiest sound and fullest bottom end. I wouldnt be surprised because apparently its based on Avid HD I/O conversion according to the manual and SSL pres. Thats definetly a fine sounding set of IR's.

Does anyone have experience with the sigmas on an Axe Fx 3?

Last edited:
I got a pack of them, not liking the thing too much, for the Axe FX III do you download the labeled as "Fractal" or make a custom 48KHz 500ms? the default for Fractal according to their page is 200ms.

Back
Top Bottom