Anyone use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for SPDIF Reamping?

GotMetalBoy

Power User
So I'm still trying to find a USB Audio & MIDI Interface to reamp with SPDIF. Anyone use a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for SPDIF Reamping?

Can it be set to Slave? I contacted FAS Support & they said the Axe-Fx II has to be the Master?
Can you hear the mix & the reamp at the same time, so you can tweak the reamp while listening to the mix?

I bought a Tascam US-366 from Musicians Friend & had mixed results. I tried calling Tascam support & the guy I spoke with was clueless about SPDIF & said no one ever uses SPDIF Inputs & Outputs at the same time, so he couldn't help me. Musicians Friend allowed me to return it and paid for the shipping bc their tech support had the same issue w/ Tascam & we couldn't determine if I was doing something incorrectly or if the unit was defective.

Below are my previous post:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-these-usb-souncards-work-spdif-reamping.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/74930-need-help-spdif-reamping.html

I have a Focusrite 8i6 and have been using it with the Axe. I haven't been doing reamping with it, but I have been using SPDIF from the Axe II to Focusrite with Axe II set as the master. Focusrite works fine with Axe as master and the Mix Control software is very flexible in terms of routing.

I would expect to work exactly the same as any other interface on SPDIF.

I posted here how to do it. I have a Presonus but its all the same. You only need the two SPDIF cables between the AXE and Interface, no midi or other cables.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/74930-need-help-spdif-reamping.html#post916190

Hope this helps.

I was about to buy a PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL but noticed the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Musicians Friend has a sale and the PreSonus is about $160 more than the Focusrite, so I'm hoping I can save some $ bc I'm only going to be using the interface for reamping bc I can do everything else I need w/ my Axe-Fx II USB or Line 6 UX2.

I have a Focusrite 8i6 and have been using it with the Axe. I haven't been doing reamping with it, but I have been using SPDIF from the Axe II to Focusrite with Axe II set as the master. Focusrite works fine with Axe as master and the Mix Control software is very flexible in terms of routing.

Any chance you can please try reamping with your Focusrite Scarlett 8i6? You can follow MusicGenX instructions: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/74930-need-help-spdif-reamping.html#post916190

The sale ends today, so I'm hoping I can find out if it will work before I order it.

I'm trying to save $ and not buy the PreSonus bc 2 of my dogs died in the past 2 months, so I lost all 3 of my dogs in the past year due to old age and I'm about to buy a puppy which will put me in debt for a while bc of all the puppy shots and getting it fixed but it will be worth it.

Not sure if I can do it today or not. I've got a busy night and don't have another digital cable where my interface is. If I were trying to save $, I'd go to GC used and buy the Scarlett used. You can still return it if it doesn't work and it's WAY less $ than other options.

Not sure if I can do it today or not. I've got a busy night and don't have another digital cable where my interface is. If I were trying to save $, I'd go to GC used and buy the Scarlett used. You can still return it if it doesn't work and it's WAY less $ than other options.

My local GC in Rochester, NY doesn't allow any returns on recording devices and they have nothing in stock that has SPDIF to even try out in the store. I'm going to call Musicians Friend and see if they will let me buy the PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL & Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and return which ever one doesn't work the best.

It works! I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 on sale from Musicians Friend and can now reamp with spdif while listening to my recorded tracks at the same time :) I'm planning on writing a step by step tutorial so there'll be no more confusion.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my posts and especially MusicGenX for all the info he shared bc without it I'd still be scratching my head

It works! I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 on sale from Musicians Friend and can now reamp with spdif while listening to my recorded tracks at the same time :) I'm planning on writing a step by step tutorial so there'll be no more confusion.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my posts and especially MusicGenX for all the info he shared bc without it I'd still be scratching my head

Cool, looking forward to your tutorial
I need an audio interface and the 6i6 is on my list.

GotMetalBoy:

Any luck with the tutorial? I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and I am looking forward to trying this out.

Regards,

Chizzy

GotMetalBoy:

Any luck with the tutorial? I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and I am looking forward to trying this out.

Regards,

Chizzy

+1

I've had my AF2 for 4 years but never had interfaces that we're conducive to ramping, now I have a Focusrite 18i8 and very much want to start working with reamping.
1- I really want to be able to do it in the mix so I can more accurately dial in my tones.
2-The way I have experimented with up til now is introducing some latency. I have been using the USB, route DAW track out to Axe in, then USB out to armed record track in DAW.

I have been messing with so many settings I don't know if I changed something in between, but I reamped 2 guitar tracks (guitar 1 and 2 L/R) using Mark IVs, then reamped the same guitar 1 and 2 dry tracks with Marshall models to blend the 2 tones. Guitar 1 Mesa 100%left, Marshall 80% left and Guitar 2 Mesa 100% right, Marshall 80% right.
The problem is that the G1 Mesa and G1 Marshall tracks both reamped from the same dry track had that comb filtered sound that tells me they were out of phase, I used the same preset just changed amp models. The same goes for the G2 (other guitarists tracks). Has anyone ran into something similar?

Thank you for ANY HELP anyone can offer.

Last edited:
GotMetalBoy:

Regards,

Chizzy

I can't remember if I ever posted it and tried to do a search on here to see if I did and nothing was found.

Someone else made a similar tutorial: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guide-re-amping-with-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771

I'll look for my tutorial because it's specific for the Focusrite Scarlett Series that have SPDIF. If I can't find it, I'll recreate it.

I've got this interface and it pretty much works except when reamping I can still hear the raw (unamped) guitar file underneath when trying to reamp and it's a bit off putting.

I'm still working on the Tutorial but here's the link to my Dropbox - Axe-Fx II ReAmp with Scarlett 6i6 Shared: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

It has screenshots of the Scarlett 6i6 MixControl and SONAR Platinum. It has a Scarlett 6i6 MixControl Snapshot file that you can load, so you don't have to manually configure it. It also has a folder with Forum Member shasha's Reamping Tutorial (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/guide-re-amping-with-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771) because the links to his Tutorial file aren't working.

I'm hoping I'll have time tonight to finish the tutorial. Once it's complete, I'll add it to the FAS Wiki Reamping (http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping)

GotMetalBoy:

Thank you so much for doing this! Your work is very detailed and precise! I can only imagine how much time something like this takes to do.

Regards,

Chizzy

GotMetalBoy:

Thank you so much for doing this! Your work is very detailed and precise! I can only imagine how much time something like this takes to do.

Regards,

Chizzy

You're welcome!

Sorry it took so long to finish but I just uploaded the completed version. I'm Dyslexic, so it takes me forever to write stuff and review it. I complied a bunch of my notes to make the document. I tried to make it real descriptive because I know I'll forget how to ReAmp the next time I go to record haha

Here's the link to my Dropbox - Axe-Fx II ReAmp with Scarlett 6i6 Shared:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7y0d1t78py5e4ri/AACbtdbjE5KZMQSS2Z_RI6Iha?dl=0

It contains the Tutorial, Scarlett 6i6 MixControl config files you can load for each step in the process, Screenshots of each process and how to convert WAV files to 48K 24bit.

Make sure to backup your Axe-Fx II before following my Tutorial!!!

Let me know if I need to Change, Add or Delete anything

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom