Anyone tune down a 1/2 step? re-tweek presets?

jazzgtrl4

Experienced
Hi, anyone have to tune down a 1/2 step to accommodate a vocalist? I have to do this with the bass player/vocalist i work with from time to time. Does it effect your presets etc that you have tweeked and worked on in A440? it sure seems like that is happening to me. I don't know how to explain it but nasely, more bass obviously from tuning down just that whole step, etc..guess i need to make 1/2 step down patchs now :( Any setting you guys prefer to help with that. thanks

maybe you should go bigger strings. 1/2 step should not effect the tone other then being able to 1 note lower. I do drop d a lot and have no problem. definately should not get nasely

maybe you should go bigger strings. 1/2 step should not effect the tone other then being able to 1 note lower. I do drop d a lot and have no problem. definately should not get nasely

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This helps TREMEndously, I tune to Eb and D quite often, and HATE floppy strings, go bigger gauge strings and leave your presets alone.

You may have tuned a bunch of frequencies just right (bass in the cab, etc). Check those

Edit: LF Resonance I meant. Because I play very... tonally certain music (read: thrash metal, lots of pedal tone riffs), I tune the LF Res to the key I'll be playing in, or the fifth if it's too far from the default number.
Refer to this cheat sheet if you want to be as mathematically certain as I do:
Frequencies of Musical Notes, A4 = 440 Hz

So, when playing in standard, and songs in E, I tune the amp to 82.41hz if it defaults near that (ie, defaults to 90hz) - but many default near 110hz, so I tune those to 123.47hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: mak
OK thanks for the info..im using 11's on all my guitars, not heavy enough?

Maybe i shouldn't say nasally, maybe its my guitar and the preset?..and not the tuned down strings..not sure. It just seems something sounds different with the axe when its tuned down a 1/2 step to my ears.

btw im using two CLR's

Maybe i shouldn't say nasally, maybe its my guitar and the preset?..and not the tuned down strings..not sure. It just seems something sounds different with the axe when its tuned down a 1/2 step to my ears.

There's definitely some subtle tonal differences when you tune down, particularly if you're used to that guitar tuned up. Also, songs you play in Eb that you're used to hearing in E will sound "different". But it certainly shouldn't be making a substantial difference to your tone.
Take a day off, listen to some music, reset your ears. We get too critical and too clinical very easily with the Axe-Fx. Sit back and jive with it.

All my presets are done on an Eb guitar, with 0095 - 044 d'Addario strings. I can't use heavier gauge because of tendinitis

I'm down to Eb and then sometimes up to F. My tone stays the same in that regard, I use either 10s or 9s depending on how my hands are feeling.

Why do we tune down again?

I can never keep up with the latest fashions

first it was Eb then it was D then C, then we added more strings 7, then 8, then 9

Now a budding guitarist cant be happy until he has 13 strings all below 12hz with the tension of a pubic hair caught in someones teeth

Just kidding!!!!

However seriously though, 1 of the bands i play in is addicted to standard D tuning, the standard standard turning

Personally, the whole detune thing (for me) is a pain in the arse, as i only have 1 suhr!!!

Last edited:
I keep one guitar standard and another 1/2 step down and don't have to tweak the presets any.

wouldn't you have to tweak your presets more by doing this? Every guitar sounds different, especially with different pickups and tonewoods etc...

You may have tuned a bunch of frequencies just right (bass in the cab, etc). Check those

Edit: LF Resonance I meant. Because I play very... tonally certain music (read: thrash metal, lots of pedal tone riffs), I tune the LF Res to the key I'll be playing in, or the fifth if it's too far from the default number.
Refer to this cheat sheet if you want to be as mathematically certain as I do:
Frequencies of Musical Notes, A4 = 440 Hz

So, when playing in standard, and songs in E, I tune the amp to 82.41hz if it defaults near that (ie, defaults to 90hz) - but many default near 110hz, so I tune those to 123.47hz.

Excited to try this! I play in Drop C so hoping this will help!

OP,

Is this something you notice live, or in recordings? If the latter, perhaps you could post a couple of clips to illustrate what you're hearing.

I use my patches with LP style guitars tuned to either E standard, Eb standard or drop D, and have not felt the need to tweak my sounds. Once you get to D standard and below, I agree that the tonal/timbral character does change, and I would probably tweak my presets accordingly if I was playing in lower tunings than those mentioned. But not for 1/2 step down. I suspect Wolfenstein98k is right - take a break and give your ears a rest?

Downtuning, as well as heavier gauge strings, will by physical necessity increase the amount of bass and lower mid frequencies in your guitar sound.
You will always have to adjust accordingly.

I've done half down for 20 years.. standard sounds wrong to me now. never had any issues with sounds.. I used 10-46's.

This is known as the Van Halen effect, whenever you tune a half step down your tone starts to sound like Van Halen :mrgreen Seriously I have not had this issue and change tunings all the time and do not notice anything other than String tension and that I'm playing a half step lower.

Wolfenstein98k - do you mean the Speaker > Low Res Freq setting on the amp?

If I am in Drop C would you tune this to 65.41 or 98 (G) ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom