Anyone try to connect AXE FX II to a HiFi home system!?

Toneboner

Hi,

sorry if it's a stupid noob question but I don't have my AXE FX II yet (being shipped right now) and I have not seen anyone saying anything about connecting to their Home HiFi system.

Isn't that supposed to be a pretty Non-coloring system for any source of sound?
And also full-range in all ways!!!

Just asking!

/Mats (hiding from all the battering cause of my question! lol)

Am I just stupid or what!?

My thoughts: I have an amp with 7*130 Watts of power and a sub with 150 Watts and very nice Focal speakers (5.1 system) in my living room. Why won't that work as trying out/setting patches on the AXE FX II?

home stereo's are most definitely not flat, maybe they are at higher end, but never any i've ever heard. It might sounds great for just jamming for yourself, but for translating patches to other systems, you will likely have some trouble.

Well ,my home stereo system is High-End with automatic equalization though a microphone connected to the amp. It is in the 5-6000$ range when it comes to amp and speakers so why would it not be flat?

Tone,
How do you like the Vox Tonelab through your stereo, its a modeler as well right? For years I played modelers through stereo Hi Fi amp/speakers and was happy with the results. I am a first time Axe owner (II) since July when it came out and this to me was a night and day difference compared to the X3 or Gt-8 and now with firmware 5!!! OMG (tears of joy welling up in eyes). I was monitoring through some vintage Infinity OVTR-2 (kick ass speakers for Hi fi) and wrestled with "is this the best"?, how flat are they? They are awesome for listening to a final mix/recordings etc. However I really wanted to design the sounds/patches and mix recordings without color influence and broke down an got some powerful studio monitors and there is an appreciated noticable difference. The monitors, I believe, allow me to replicate what I am really supposed to be hearing as the designer intended as if i was in the room with that tube amp connected to that speaker cab. I do not play out, just in my man cave, but like it loud to hear all the dynamics (just like i like to listen to the stereo LOUD) Be patient and wait for the Axe and I will bet you will love it and then down the line get monitors to design patches/mix recordings etc if you feel your missing something ;)
Greg

Thank's for the reply "gabbenate"!

I don't run my Tonelab through my HiFi system. I run it through one of my amps (in the power amp in with the cab simulations off)) when I'm at home. I almost only play with my band at our occasional rehearsals and I have been gigging out for about 10+ years regularly. Nowadays I play in a 50-60-70's cover band. But I started playing in the late 70's in a band so I've been around for some time. lol

My thought was that the AXE was much more "exact" in the sound than my Tonelab SE so maybe i would hear more real life tone if I connected it to my HiFi system. Don't know but will in a few days when I get my AXE.

/Mats

I don't know about the flatness of your system, but I do know about shredding hi fi speakers playing guitar through them. It's been a long time since I did it, but it's my general impression that the transients of playing guitar through home stereo gear threaten the longevity and functionality of your speakers. My guess is that it would be ok at moderate volume, but not so much cranked.

I'm curious to hear others' experience with guitar through hi fi gear. I know I'm not the only one to trash my stereo speakers that way.

Well ,my home stereo system is High-End with automatic equalization though a microphone connected to the amp. It is in the 5-6000$ range when it comes to amp and speakers so why would it not be flat?

Because flat response may not have been a design goal. The system, for example, may have been tuned to be "pleasing" to the listener. Colouration may have been purposefully introduced. That seems rather common in home / consumer audio. The standards necessary to produce a truly accurate system seem to be of more importance to products targeted at studio applications, or other reference driven environments (broadcast, etc.).

That said, you may really enjoy how your AxeFX sounds through your home stereo, whether it's linear or not. Give it a go!

Terry.

I don't know about hi-fi gear, but, I played through my home stereo speakers using a GT-8 for years. The speakers were old 70's era Realistic... 12 inch woofer and 2 horns for mids and highs... these speakers were (are) bulletproof, however... it sounded horrible (though I didn't really notice just how bad at the time). There was no consistency AT ALL. Every time I played a live show using a PA, it was a complete mystery as to how my guitar would sound. I would spend hours dialing in a tone based on previous live experience... thinking, "Ok, I'm pretty sure this is going to translate..." I'd vary the volume... I'd listen as though I were hearing it loud and filling in the Fletcher-Munson frequencies with my mind's 'ear'... NO DICE.

I could get the GT-8 and those speakers to sound good under only one circumstance... a specific volume with a specific patch tweaked for that specific volume... it NEVER translated in the 'real world' (not even in the ballpark).

Still have the speakers because they sound decent for my stereo... and they're big, heavy and beautiful...

I have been playing with my band for almost 10 years and have so far been able to with not much effort dial in a pretty nice Gig level sound by doing it at home through one of my Vox amps.
When we gig I mic the Vox combo up with a SM57 to the PA and only have my Vox as monitor on stage.

Guess I will just try out all different setups and we will see what works! Can't hurt to try!

/Mats

It certainly does not hurt to try... this is what I do these days... try, try, try! (and try again)

I used to play my older Line6 equipment through a decidedly not so Hi-Fi Hi-Fi system. I was using a Sony receiver thru some Polk towers. I had reasonable success thru it all things considered. One thing to keep in mind is if you will be connecting via RCA jacks, they assume a different input level than 1/4 / XLR pro audio inputs. I don't recall which is which but I remember doing some research on this. You might need to play with your levels as a result. From what I have read, the biggest issue with using HiFi can be whether your amp can deal with the transients. Since you have a powered sub hooked up this might be less of an issue.

I figured that if the recorded guitar on a given CD sounds really good and my intent with the Axe is to replicate that recorded sound then it should sound good thru the HiFi too right(?)

All of that said, when I updgraded to my Axe2 I also purchased a "proper" set of studio monitors / sub. Therefore, I can't offer any feedback on how the Axe sounds thru HiFi gear.

Hello,
10 years later... another newbie coming in :)...
Got recently my FM3, getting organized in rehearsal room with proper monitor, while using headphones at home to work on presets. So, why not give a try to my HiFi system? Having read all the above - and similar threads - I think will try it, knowing it won't match my main setup, but fine.
Main question I am left with is: how to connect? My amp is a Rega Elex-R, its input specs are:
  • Line input sensitivity: 164mV (40KOhm)
  • Line max input level: 10V

So, first question: would it be OK to connect Output 2 (unbalanced) to Line inputs, as suggested in another thread?
If yes, what is the best connector to use for this?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid... I really want to try, but not to blow my amp or speakers (nor the FM3 of course!).
Thanks a bunch,

Luca

Hi Luca,

Yes that will be fine.
Thanks
Pauly
Hello,
10 years later... another newbie coming in :)...
Got recently my FM3, getting organized in rehearsal room with proper monitor, while using headphones at home to work on presets. So, why not give a try to my HiFi system? Having read all the above - and similar threads - I think will try it, knowing it won't match my main setup, but fine.
Main question I am left with is: how to connect? My amp is a Rega Elex-R, its input specs are:
  • Line input sensitivity: 164mV (40KOhm)
  • Line max input level: 10V

So, first question: would it be OK to connect Output 2 (unbalanced) to Line inputs, as suggested in another thread?
If yes, what is the best connector to use for this?

Sorry if this all sounds stupid... I really want to try, but not to blow my amp or speakers (nor the FM3 of course!).
Thanks a bunch,

Luca

Back
Top Bottom