Anyone Try 11B through a matrix GT1000FX into a regular Guitar cab?

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I'm curious as to whether the changes Cliff made have added in that special "something" that I get from my Fryette.
Using the Fryette with 11B was a total low res overload so I went back to 10.12 but I still have my matrix here and I could
give it a try.
Several earlier FW's were like this with my mesa 50/50 (the crazy low res overload)
but 9.02 and 10.12 don't have it.
anyone?

Anyone Try 11B through a matrix GT1000FX into a regular Guitar cab?
I'm curious as to whether the changes Cliff made have added in that special "something" that I get from my Fryette.
Yes, I've tried FW11-->GT1000FX into 4x12 V30 and Mesa Thiele 1x12 EV.
FW11 seems to have more "juice" - in comparison FW10 is a bit "drier" sounding.
Maybe that is what you were missing... but really the only way to know is to try it.

Using the Fryette with 11B was a total low res overload
This I haven't tried yet (have a 2/50/2). Did you dial either the Axe or the Fryette depth control to zero?
Having them both up would probably make a mess.

Also, since the Fryette is interacting with the real cab, I would dial the AMP block SPKR page resonances down.
This of course assuming that you were using the Axe poweramp emulation (sag>0) ...?

Yes, into a Carvin 4x10 with V30's. There is definitely a noticeable low end thump that's not happening on previous firmwares. However, I consider it desirable as I have tried to get that sound (balls without the mud) for awhile now. Didn't really have to dial it in, it was just there. I have the low res frequency adjusted to 107 (seems to work well for my cab but I'm not 100% it's "correct") but haven't changed any of the other parameters in the resonance page.

Then again, I have never heard anything I would consider a low res "overload" on ANY firmware. I mostly play through the Corncob (and now Triptik classic) models with the input drive very low, master high, and get my gain incrementally from filter and drive blocks. I have never really gone for distortion from just the amp drive.

Yes, I've tried FW11-->GT1000FX into 4x12 V30 and Mesa Thiele 1x12 EV.
FW11 seems to have more "juice" - in comparison FW10 is a bit "drier" sounding.
Maybe that is what you were missing... but really the only way to know is to try it.

This I haven't tried yet (have a 2/50/2). Did you dial either the Axe or the Fryette depth control to zero?
Having them both up would probably make a mess.

Also, since the Fryette is interacting with the real cab, I would dial the AMP block SPKR page resonances down.
This of course assuming that you were using the Axe poweramp emulation (sag>0) ...?

yes I found with 10.12 I can run the depth on the Fryette at a little bit below 12:00 noon and it sounds killer. (I mean really killer :) )
I had to dial it down to zero with FW11B and it still was too much. Istarted to mess with te low res settings too but
I run my patches with a real cab out to output 1 and then branch off to an FX loop to output two, so making changes to the amp block for the Fryette was changing my FRFR sound so I bailed.
and now it seems that FW11 has left some low end remnants on my unit. Even going back to 10.12 has resulted in extra boom that was not there before.
when palm muting it sounds like my speakers are going to explode. I had to reset a bunch of amp blocks and 'fix" my patches.
Not a real smooth couple of nights for me :(

Ah, OK... so you need FRFR at the same time. I can see how that can be problematic.
I hope that you can make it work with the Matrix.

I noticed an immediate difference. I feel like I'm *fairly* good about having a bias (example : "Omg new firmware sounds amazing") but i truly felt a real connection with the notes i was playing.

Right after FW10 came out, i had the opportunity to play on a NOS plexi clone, and i felt that when i played, that i was 'inside of the note'. It really felt like i had absolute control of the sound. Going back to the Axe FX, i felt like some amps had that, and some severely lacked. Not that it's a problem either, it just wasn't the 'same'. (With that being said, I still take Axe > Amp), but with FW11, I felt that IMMEDIATELY after turning on the unit.

FW11 really did some unique things to the feel, and i believe really opened up the top end. The top end was very noticeable for me at least, especially on the vox or marshall settings, it had a 'glassy' character to it that was very pleasing :)

Nick, I was actually wondering if v11 would get you that "something" back with the Matrix that you were getting with the 2/90/2 and v10. Using my Port City Wave OS 2x12 w/V30s and Matrix GT800FX, I noticed the improvement in the feel immediately after trying v11, just like Sean did. If it's not too inconvenient, I'd surely suggest that you give v11 with the Matrix a try.

If you are using a tube power amp you should set any Presence, Depth, Resonance, etc. controls to their minimum positions on the amp (assuming they are conventional controls, Mesa is different).

Hi Cliff,

I am using a Mesa 2:90...should I be setting the Presence knobs to zero?

Thanks for an incredible product! :)

D

Axe into Matrix GT1000 into 2x12 EVM Sounds Awesome!! I use the SLO as my main amp! Nice job Cliff!

Our guy's F*%$*n smart!

The Presence control on Mesa amps is most neutral around noon. If you turn it up it boosts the highs, if you turn it down it cuts the highs. On most other power amps it only boosts.

The Presence control on Mesa amps is most neutral around noon. If you turn it up it boosts the highs, if you turn it down it cuts the highs. On most other power amps it only boosts.

With mine all the way off, it is still pretty bright with the Triaxis or the Axe!

o I thought I'd give this another try and re installed !!B
and did some tests with the Matrix and my Fryette.
I got it sounding pretty f'n kick ass through the Fryette now (I usually run presence off and depth at noon on the Fryette with the Axe)
I turned the depth down to about 10:00 oclock and dialed down the Compression (on some of the sims to off) and man oh man this thing is kicking.
I haven't even turned on my Monitors yet so I have no idea what I'm getting for an FRFR sound but right now my Atomica hi is like hearing VH II
right in front of me :)
Brit super is singing
Cool! :)

yes I found with 10.12 I can run the depth on the Fryette at a little bit below 12:00 noon and it sounds killer. (I mean really killer :) )
I had to dial it down to zero with FW11B and it still was too much. Istarted to mess with te low res settings too but
I run my patches with a real cab out to output 1 and then branch off to an FX loop to output two, so making changes to the amp block for the Fryette was changing my FRFR sound so I bailed.
and now it seems that FW11 has left some low end remnants on my unit. Even going back to 10.12 has resulted in extra boom that was not there before.
when palm muting it sounds like my speakers are going to explode. I had to reset a bunch of amp blocks and 'fix" my patches.
Not a real smooth couple of nights for me :(
should'nt you use out 1 for frfr cab block at end of chain cab sims on and out2 to fx loop would branch off before cab block so no cab sims

Back
Top Bottom