Anyone Try 11B through a matrix GT1000FX into a regular Guitar cab?

I don't see anyone insisting on using tube amps.
I have just been posting my personal findings. (I have not slighted any manufacturer or product)
As far as I'm concerned the "right"' way to use an Axe Fx is however it sounds best for the guy who's plugged into it.
people are getting too defensive far too easily around here these days

I have just been posting my personal findings. (I have not slighted any manufacturer or product)
As far as I'm concerned the "right"' way to use an Axe Fx is however it sounds best for the guy who's plugged into it.

And how it should be. Whatever you´re using. If it sounds good to you, you will play better. That´s what´s matters.

people are getting too defensive far too easily around here these days

I must have misunderstood many of your comments then.

And how it should be. Whatever you´re using. If it sounds good to you, you will play better. That´s what´s matters.

Yes, true.

But...... :mrgreen

If one chooses to run with a setup which is different than what the unit is designed for, then one should deal with the consequences.

Kmanick connects his Axe-Fx to a Fryette tube amp, which definitely is set not neutral (Depth higher than zero) on purpose. And power simulation on the Axe-Fx is switched on too.

Existing presets on that setup will get too boomy after installing fw 11 beta.
I don't get it that Kmanick complains about 11 beta making his presets too boomy (another thread).
It's a logical consequence of that setup and it's easy to solve.

Last edited:
Yes, true.

But...... :mrgreen

If one chooses to run with a setup which is different than what the unit is designed for, then one should deal with the consequences.

Kmanick connects his Axe-Fx to a Fryette tube amp, which definitely is set not neutral (Depth higher than zero) on purpose. And power simulation on the Axe-Fx is switched on too.

Existing presets on that setup will get too boomy after installing fw 11 beta.
I don't get it that Kmanick complains about 11 beta making his presets too boomy (another thread).
It's a logical consequence of that setup and it's easy to solve.

that problem has been solved,
I re installed and dialed down the compression to zero and brought it
back it to taste and lowered the depth from noon (where I was running it with 10.12)
down to about 10:00 and instant awesomeness.
11 B is sounding great with the fryette now.
I was not aware that this unit was not designed to be run with a tube power amp. Is this opinion or
did I miss this in the owners manual?

that problem has been solved,
I re installed and dialed down the compression to zero and brought it
back it to taste and lowered the depth from noon (where I was running it with 10.12)
down to about 10:00 and instant awesomeness.
11 B is sounding great with the fryette now.
I was not aware that this unit was not designed to be run with a tube power amp. Is this opinion or
did I miss this in the owners manual?

Good to hear it's solved!

Yes, you can use a tube amp.

When the Axe-Fx is in charge of ALL sound processing (= power amp simulation switched on), the amplification device should be as neutral (flat) as possible. That's because the Axe-Fx already takes care of Presence, Depth, Resonance etc. No need to have the tube power amp do that as well.

Some tube power amps are flat by design. Retro Channel, Atomic 50/50, and some others.

The VHT / Fryette 2/50/2 is a guitar power amp. To get it flat (neutral) as possible, there should be no added Presence, Depth on the Fryette.

Or switch off power amp simul. entirely. as advised here in the manual:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...-Fx_II_with_Power_Amp_and_Guitar_Speakers.pdf

If you set those controls on the Fryette to zero, you probably don't have to decrease Comp in the amp models in the Axe-Fx as you said you did.

Some tube power amps are flat by design. Retro Channel, Atomic 50/50, and some others.

Even tube power amps that claim they are flat are not. It is nearly impossible to get a tube power amp to have a flat response.

As I said before, though it seems to be ignored, set Presence and Depth/Resonance/what-have-you on the tube power amp fully CCW (unless it's a Mesa power amp).

Good to hear it's solved!
Or switch off power amp simul. entirely. as advised here in the manual:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...-Fx_II_with_Power_Amp_and_Guitar_Speakers.pdf

If you set those controls on the Fryette to zero, you probably don't have to decrease Comp in the amp models in the Axe-Fx as you said you did.

I think I will give this a try tonight. I have my patches set up so I can run them FRFR to out1 and into the Fryette from out 2 so I cannot turn off the Power amp
on those patches.
I think I will try some new patches from scratch with the Sag set to zero and try using the depth and presence from the
Fryette up from zero (I run presence on zero all the time, depth at about 10:00 o'clock) to see how it works.
Maybe with some "Power amp specific" patches I'll be able to run the compression levels up where they are defaulting now(70% does seem kind of high to me though

Cliff I don't think anyone is ignoring your suggestions , I just think the people who are using tube power amps like what the depth and pres controls add
in.

Okay, success!

And see the link in my earlier post about setting up a single preset, feeding both FRFR (power amp sim. ON) and a tube power amp (power amp sim. OFF). Requires two Amp blocks, alas.

Okay, success!

And see the link in my earlier post about setting up a single preset, feeding both FRFR (power amp sim. ON) and a tube power amp (power amp sim. OFF). Requires two Amp blocks, alas.

that may be the next step if I prefer what I get with the sag off as compared to what I'm getting now (which I think will be hard to beat :) )

that may be the next step if I prefer what I get with the sag off as compared to what I'm getting now (which I think will be hard to beat :) )

Too bad you don't still have the Matrix to try this out with, Nick. Would have been interesting to see what the differences would have been with both power amps feeding a guitar cab with the dual amp block preset like yek and I described.

I do think you'll dig your Fryette/real cab combo more than the FRFR setup though, knowing that you prefer real guitar cabs. :mrgreen

Too bad you don't still have the Matrix to try this out with, Nick. Would have been interesting to see what the differences would have been with both power amps feeding a guitar cab with the dual amp block preset like yek and I described.

I do think you'll dig your Fryette/real cab combo more than the FRFR setup though, knowing that you prefer real guitar cabs. :mrgreen

ya that would've been interesting, but alas it's on it's way to Calgary:)
I dialed in a couple of patches from scratch this weekend (a Friedman HBE , which surprisingly has never really won me over) and a JMP-1.
Damn they sounded really good, I've thought since 9.02 that the JMP-1 is a very overlooked amp sim
paired off with the 4X12 25 watt (sm57) and the 4X12 V30(R121) mixed it can really deliver a great rock/somewhat metal sound. very good for playing lead, and it translates great thru the Fryette and the Avatar

links don't work

Maybe guys just need to get one of these:

raysonic-maple-tube-monoblock-pair-power-amplifier-pi-3583.html

Raysonic - Red Maple Tube Monoblock (Pair) Power Amplifier [Red Maple] - $10,845.00

If you are using a tube power amp you should set any Presence, Depth, Resonance, etc. controls to their minimum positions on the amp (assuming they are conventional controls, Mesa is different).

Cliff - while I am saving my pennies for, say, a Matrix and FRFR setup ... any way to run my Axe FX II into the stereo left and right line-in jacks in the back of my 1982 Roland JC 120 and get a decent sound out of the set up (or should I not waste my time because I would have to tweak presets in parallel for both set ups).

LOL. Be gentle now - I'm green - I just picked up my Axe FX II at Dweezilla camp.

Back
Top Bottom