Anyone tried the Eurekaprom 3.1?

atquinn

Power User
Looks like the Eurekaprom 3.1 version added effect state feedback for the Axe FX units as well as remote tuner display. Very cool!
http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom

I used a Eurekaprom 2 chip and FCB1010 when I had my Axe FX 2 MkI. It got the job done but I wish the preset switching used a bank method instead of the current one.As it was I adapted by using Scenes extensively and setting the expression pedals for controlling other parameters so I didn't have to switch presets very often and didn't miss access to IA switches (not a fan of using IA switches that don't show the actual state of the effect in question, so I didn't uses Effects mode).
-
Austin

I just got my EurekaProm this week. Everything works as advertised, except that I am having trouble with the 2-way communication with my Axe-FX 2 XL. With just midi out from the FCB1010, you can change presets, scenes, access the looper, access favourite presets and effects on/off. However, you can't see the tuner on the display or the effects status in effects mode. Neither are deal killers for me, but it would be nice if I could get the midi in from the Axe-FX working. It seems that the sysex messages coming from the Axe-FX are confusing the FCB, causing it to freeze. If I disconnect the midi in (FCB) cable in or turn the "send realtime sysex" to off on the Axe-FX, the FCB unfreezes, but then you can't receive the tuner or effects status features. I have tried different cables and checked to see if midi in is working on the FCB and that the midi out is working on the Axe-FX, so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Perhaps firmware revisions have changed the sysex messaging and the EurekaProm can't read it. Or perhaps I am not setting the midi parameters correctly on the Axe-FX. I have had a couple of instances where it seemed that 2 way communication is happening, but it doesn't persist for long.

If anyone has success with 2-way midi, please let me now.

I just got my EurekaProm this week. Everything works as advertised, except that I am having trouble with the 2-way communication with my Axe-FX 2 XL. With just midi out from the FCB1010, you can change presets, scenes, access the looper, access favourite presets and effects on/off. However, you can't see the tuner on the display or the effects status in effects mode. Neither are deal killers for me, but it would be nice if I could get the midi in from the Axe-FX working. It seems that the sysex messages coming from the Axe-FX are confusing the FCB, causing it to freeze. If I disconnect the midi in (FCB) cable in or turn the "send realtime sysex" to off on the Axe-FX, the FCB unfreezes, but then you can't receive the tuner or effects status features. I have tried different cables and checked to see if midi in is working on the FCB and that the midi out is working on the Axe-FX, so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Perhaps firmware revisions have changed the sysex messaging and the EurekaProm can't read it. Or perhaps I am not setting the midi parameters correctly on the Axe-FX. I have had a couple of instances where it seemed that 2 way communication is happening, but it doesn't persist for long.

If anyone has success with 2-way midi, please let me now.

Are you sure the Eurekaprom you received was a 3.1 unit and not 3.0 (which apparentley doesn't support 2-way communication)?
Have you contacted Eurekasound support?
-
Austin

Yes, it is the 3.1 version. I am working the the good folks at EurekaSound and they are trying to help me out. I'll let you know when/if we get things figured out. They have not tested 3.1 with the Quantum 2 firmware, yet, but will be doing so soon to see if they have the same issue.

Dave

EurekaSound is working on the issue. I sent them some sysex data recorded during start-up and it appears that the device ID number is different for the Axe-FX 2 XL than for the previous versions of Axe-FX hardware. They have tested the 3.1 chip on Quantum 2 for the standard Axe-FX 2 and it works fine.

Thanks for doing the initial plowing with EurekaSound.. I'm in the same snowdrift as you. If you hear back anything new from Eureka, will you please please please advise for this post?

Cheers!

Sure, I'll let you know when I hear back. I can't speak for the company, but from the quick response so far I think a solution will be available "soon" (to use the non-committal vernacular I see a lot around here!).

Update: EurekaSound is sending me a beta chip to test with my XL to make sure the device ID issues are resolved. It should be here next week and I'll report back.

I received an email from EurekaSound yesterday saying the following:

"EurekaPROM 3 released!

The
EurekaPROM gets even better!

• The Kemper configuration now includes looper control, & with tuner info displayed on the FCB1010 display.
  • The Fractal configuration now includes effect state feedback for Mark II, along with tuner info on the FCB1010 display. Also supports up to 512 presets for XL!
  • Added one new configuration: IO for programmers
  • Improved wah pedal response and range
  • Improved LED brightness
  • Other minor bug fixes"
With regards to 3.1's compatibility with the XL, I think the second dot point is ambiguous at best......

Update: I received a beta 3.2 chip today, and 2 way communication seems to work fine with my XL. If you have an XL or XL+, you will want to wait for the 3.2 chip to be released before ordering. If you have the standard AXE-FX 2, version 3.1 will work fine.

With this issue fixed, I think that the FCB1010 with EurekaProm is a great alternative.. You can access presets, toggle up to 10 effects of your choosing along with the 2 expression effects, view tuner, tempo and effects status, access 8 scenes, access favourite presets and the looper. Once you get used to toggling through the modes and functions, it is pretty powerful for not a lot of dough.

Update: I received a beta 3.2 chip today, and 2 way communication seems to work fine with my XL. If you have an XL or XL+, you will want to wait for the 3.2 chip to be released before ordering. If you have the standard AXE-FX 2, version 3.1 will work fine.

With this issue fixed, I think that the FCB1010 with EurekaProm is a great alternative.. You can access presets, toggle up to 10 effects of your choosing along with the 2 expression effects, view tuner, tempo and effects status, access 8 scenes, access favourite presets and the looper. Once you get used to toggling through the modes and functions, it is pretty powerful for not a lot of dough.

Awesome! Thanks for the update.
-
Austin

I just scored a mint fcb on eBay for $75 shipped! Seeing as it will be used with an XL+ I'm going to wait for the release of the new 3.2 firmware.

Back
Top Bottom