Anyone tried JUST the cab block with real tube amps??

flash6969

Inspired
Hey all

I thought I might try running a line from my Two Notes Torpedo Live unit to try all the great cabs in the Axe FX.
Has anyone tried running a line from a load device into just the cabs??
Anything I need to consider??
Cheers

Ive done it before and sounds great. Bogner XTC into my old Marshall powerbrake as a load. I also ran the speaker out into a transformer isolated lineout box I made. That line level signal then hit the Axe with just a cab block and some time based effects. Sounded wonderful.
But why not just use the cabs in the torpedo? Or do they not have many decent preset cabs in the box?

Works great. I used to run the line out from my Aracon attenuater into the Axe and do just that with a cab block, and sometimes so reverb and other post cab effects. Awesome being able to easily stick a delay on there etc and not mess with a hardware WDW type setup.

Honestly found though that the Axe amp models sounded every bit as good as the hardware amps so it seemed a bit silly to drag around a head and heavy attenuater plus the Axe as a cab emulater so ended up just using the Axe for everything and selling the amps

Dang, when I read the thread title, my heart almost stopped. I guess I expected to read that someone took a cable and ran it from their 8-ohm (or 16-ohm, or 4-ohm, or 2-ohm) out, directly to the input of the AxeFX! Whew, glad that wasn't the case. Ok, I'm fine (wiping coffee off of shirt, and finally breathing again). Carry on.

Dang, when I read the thread title, my heart almost stopped. I guess I expected to read that someone took a cable and ran it from their 8-ohm (or 16-ohm, or 4-ohm, or 2-ohm) out, directly to the input of the AxeFX! Whew, glad that wasn't the case. Ok, I'm fine (wiping coffee off of shirt, and finally breathing again). Carry on.
^
||
Exactly the same thoughts

Definitely. I have a Palmer used as a load, full range out that fits above the AxeII in the rack with some ventilation room.
Using the Axe as IR and FX.
Set up the Axe's FX loop to send to the amp head and return from the load.
Humbuster cables help, but I have to use an iso box (Suhr iso boost) in the send line to avoid hum and squealing for high gain tones.

My favorite way to go DI.

Last edited:

One take, lots of mistakes. The powerbrake isnt great for slaving a tube amp as its a resistive load. There are alot of better reactive load options these days ( like your Torpedo) that dont compress the tone as much, but it still sounds ok I think. By the way Flash, this is the 101b you bought from George.

Last edited:
How'd you know. Yes it's the same 101B I got from George

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll give it a shot this weekend

How'd you know. Yes it's the same 101B I got from George

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll give it a shot this weekend

'Cos George is a mate and i owned the amp before Georgy! He came home after dropping it off salivating over the rest of your gear. You almost kick started his G.A.S. again, lol.

Imade it with ma H&K GM36 head, using my Koch LB120, and plug in rear IN, line level of the AFX. Just using the cab block, through my 2 Matrix GM50 and passive cabs.
It sounded great, and I can clearly hear all the influence of the Cab on my sound.

Back
Top Bottom