anyone tried a roland JC120 as a power amp for the axe

frankiev

Experienced
A friend of mine is selling his JC120 and Im tempted to try the power amp section of it with my ultra . Unfortunatly he lives about 6 hours away . I was hoping someone here might have tried this or is familiar enough with th amp to offer advice Im wondering how flat the JC120 power section . Any info on this is appreciated

I own 2 of them, they are flat but the problem is you can,t use the cab sims so
you have all the amp sims on a open 2*12 and thats why i orderd 2 atomics FR amps so i get full use of the Axe.

It is a ok option but not a perfect one imho.

frankiev said:
Thanks for your info , Im assuming you plugged into the power amp (loop return)

No i have the old editions frome beginning 80,s i think .. with thumble on/off switch and they don,t have a loop
but they have a neutral/in on the back ...
For the Roland you don,t need a loop ... the Distortion build in is so bad that nobody uses it.

So my 2 outputs frome the axe going straight in the inputs from the JC,s

Still love that amps for clean sounds and they handle distortion pedals very well.. and the chorus is stunning.

I was just assuming there was a loop since I havent actually see the amp . Ill probably drive to my friends house this weekend and check it out . I dont know what a thumble is but it sounds interesting . Can you clarify what a neutral in is supposed to be ,sounds like a power amp in .

frankiev said:
I was just assuming there was a loop since I havent actually see the amp . Ill probably drive to my friends house this weekend and check it out . I dont know what a thumble is but it sounds interesting . Can you clarify what a neutral in is supposed to be ,sounds like a power amp in .

On the back of the amp there are 2 ins that bypass treble bass and mid and volume, see it like a normal fx loop of a headamp.
Anyway i use the front in so i can still adjust treble etc, for my band i still use the poweramp of my marshall 6100 but that has way more treble than my neutral in on my JC,s, that,s why i use front in so i can adjust and that way i won,t have to change equalizer
on the Axe every time.

You can check if you have the old or new edition by the on/off switch.. the new ones have a button you must push and the old ones has a switch, but again a loop for a Jc with the Axe is not needed, just plugin to the inline.

My english is not good but i hope you understand..

Here is a link of the manual from the JC

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_supp ... UCT=JC-120

Again i don,t think you have the best solution for the Axe here, in Holland a used JC goes for about 400/500 euros and for that money i rather pay some extra and really go FRFR .. But maybe you get it way cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom