Anyone tested in-ear monitors with the Axe?

wembley

Inspired
Just curious: Instead of using standard monitors, have anyone tried a decent IEM-system as a monitoring system for the Axe? If the IEMs are half decent, they'll provide the Axe-user going direct with a better listening environment than most wedges, I guess?

w

I run direct and monitor via EIM all the time. Used to use the Hearback IEM system and it's performance (not the axe) was horrible. I then ran Axe and a feed from the monitor board to a Rane M44 in mono and monitored via IEM and the sound was a whole lot better. Recently switched to Aviom without the Rane and the sound quality is great. I use Westone UM2 EIM. Hope this helps!

Chris

I've not used the axe live with in ears yet, as it's just too much of a hassle to get a good mix, but everytime I listen through my livewires while practicing or at home, it sounds great.

gdgross said:
I've not used the axe live with in ears yet, as it's just too much of a hassle to get a good mix, but everytime I listen through my livewires while practicing or at home, it sounds great.

I use LiveWires as well to monitor w/ Aviom system at church going direct FOH. Sounds great !

When using IEMs do you monitor your own feed from the Axe-FX and mix in everyone else, or just rely on FOH's send for everyone as well as yourself?

-rob

I use IEM at Church every week through the Hearback system.

It's a workable solution with many benefits. I do not prefer it, it removes the interaction between a speaker moving air and the guitar. But it's a great solution if a silent stage is required and it is easy to do with the Axe-FX.

I use IEM as my main monitoring option for the Axe Fx - love it.
On most jobs we have a dedicated monitor tech that gives each musician their own individualized IEM mix, and a FOH tech for well.......FOH :D .
On small quick jobs I just mix a stereo FOH signal with the stereo output 2 from the Ultra to get a level mix I´m comfortable with.
Hope this helps
RB

Back
Top Bottom