Anyone still using QSC k12 need help with what to do with EQ blocks?

Hi All,

Still trying to get the best out of the axe fx 2.

I'm worried I made the wrong investment in the QSC k12 for a stage monitor. I'm just using EQ, Amp, Cab and Reverb block to keep things simple. I play classic and alternative rock on a Strat.

I'm seeing postings that the k12 is not really FRFR and my buddy is getting such a great live sound with an hd500 and 2 matrix q12a's on stage. The fact the q12a's are always sold out in minutes has me thinking they are the end all complement to any and all modeler?

Does any one still use QSC k's and have a preset showing the right EQ cuts and where to place them in the signal path? I am currently using k12 on floor with the high cut switch on.

I have just been using a parametric EQ in front of amp block blocking the high at 8000hrz and lows at 95 on the 1+5 bands but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks

Try increasing the low cut up to 125 or even higher. There will still be plenty of low end left due to resonance and harmonics.

The K series is great. I used a pair of k10s for a long time and didnt need to notch out anything, just cut high and low shelves like you are doing.

Don't be afraid to experiment and set your freq cut offs more extreme just to hear what it does, then back it off till it sounds good to you.

Hi @Rivertownrocker i have the QSC k12 , its a great sounding monitor, do you have the right settings at the rear of the QSC ?

Mine are this :

LF : EXT SUB
HF: FLAT
LINE IN (obvious one)

I have some clean and lead patches for Live use but im on firmware 17.04 , maybe we can exchange some presets, i made some changes to the Global EQ of the AXE front panel and it works.

Mind to share some of your patches or EQ tips?

Hi All,

Still trying to get the best out of the axe fx 2.

I'm worried I made the wrong investment in the QSC k12 for a stage monitor. I'm just using EQ, Amp, Cab and Reverb block to keep things simple. I play classic and alternative rock on a Strat.

I'm seeing postings that the k12 is not really FRFR and my buddy is getting such a great live sound with an hd500 and 2 matrix q12a's on stage. The fact the q12a's are always sold out in minutes has me thinking they are the end all complement to any and all modeler?

Does any one still use QSC k's and have a preset showing the right EQ cuts and where to place them in the signal path? I am currently using k12 on floor with the high cut switch on.

I have just been using a parametric EQ in front of amp block blocking the high at 8000hrz and lows at 95 on the 1+5 bands but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks

If I read that correctly, you're using the EQ BEFORE the amp block. That's cutting what's going into the tone rather than after. Personally I view EQ use as a "mastering" tool, used at the end of your signal chain. That's like putting an EQ pedal before your amp in a traditional (real) amp setup

Have you tried making the cuts in the cab block? I usually go 100hz low cut and 7k hi cut.

Would you guys mind to share some Pics of thos low cuts and hi cuts? i have trouble understanding this.

Or maybe links for some tutorials in this subject.

Thanks,

If you have a chance, try tweaking some of your patches on your friend's Q12A's since you like the sound of them so much. Once you've dialed in the tones, move to your K12 and use only post-amp/cab EQ to shape.

That way, you eliminate the variable of amp block settings being overcompensated from tweaking on a monitor that isn't flat.

The K was my first powered wedge. Last year I had to use a K again for a few shows and I always had great results. The trick for me was simply I did all my hi/ low cuts in the cab block. No extra ew blocks for me. I did low cut at 120(might have been 125) and hi cut between 6k and 7k (I kept alternating between the two) also if using it in wedge position turn on the ext sub switch. In my amp block I usually run my lows low like 3 and my highs are usually at 5/6. You can def eht good tones with the k. The matrix is a good unit that is why they sell out fast. As is the rcf, CLR and xitone. Everyone is raving about the freeman too

These are the settings I use for my cab block 99.9% of the time live.

Regardless of the IR I cut at 100 and hi-cut at 7k

Edit: also. I hardly ever use the EQ block. On anything. I find I get everything in the amp block to shape my tone.

Here's a rig rundown of my presets if you're interested.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 15
I've always been curious about this, but what is the difference between using a PEQ at the end of your chain as opposed to tweaking the Global EQ for Output 1 (when it comes to tweaking for different FRFR cabs) ?

I had luck putting a 2 inch square of tape over the grill on the tweeter, those highs beamed too much. They are my backups and had to use one when one my CLR's got dropped. They still hold up next to a CLR. Just prefer the CLR's

If I read that correctly, you're using the EQ BEFORE the amp block. That's cutting what's going into the tone rather than after. Personally I view EQ use as a "mastering" tool, used at the end of your signal chain. That's like putting an EQ pedal before your amp in a traditional (real) amp setup

Have you tried making the cuts in the cab block? I usually go 100hz low cut and 7k hi cut.
I knew I was doing something wrong did not think tpotry that I have to in the morning i just went up to quantium 1.5

Edit: also. I hardly ever use the EQ block. On anything. I find I get everything in the amp block to shape my tone.

Thanks very helpfull

Do you guys find once you have the QSC dialed in the way you like it then when you send that same signal to a board and to a decent random PA it still holds up?

Hi @Rivertownrocker i have the QSC k12 , its a great sounding monitor, do you have the right settings at the rear of the QSC ?

Mine are this :

LF : EXT SUB
HF: FLAT
LINE IN (obvious one)

I have some clean and lead patches for Live use but im on firmware 17.04 , maybe we can exchange some presets, i made some changes to the Global EQ of the AXE front panel and it works.

Mind to share some of your patches or EQ tips?
Hi thanks Im set up the same way but don't realy have anything worth sharing yet

Going through you video I noticed something I had been coming across in early forums regarding the sm57 and royer121 trick is that the IR you are referring to? If yes I would love to try it how did you make the blend is possible with just axefx or do I need cab lab?

Going through you video I noticed something I had been coming across in early forums regarding the sm57 and royer121 trick is that the IR you are referring to? If yes I would love to try it how did you make the blend is possible with just axefx or do I need cab lab?

Yeah. I can't share the IR specifically because it's from the fractal cab pack but I generally just used r121 and Sm57 for everything.

My blend is from cab pack 10, the tx star cab (Forgive me I'm Doing this from memory)
"R121" and sm57 "B" blended 50/50 or 1:1 ratio. I can double check when I get home.

I used cab lab to blend the IRs. That's pretty much it. I'm not very picky and it sounded good to me. Enough low end from the r121 and still had that midrange cut/honk/bite from the 57 to cut through live.

Super common trick in the studio to blend a ribbon mic and a sm57 for a full guitar sound.

Back
Top Bottom