Anyone still using Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm yellow picks?

Tortex 1.14
I was hooked on Tortex 1.0, but found it just a bit flimsy.
Moved to Tortex 1.14, but found it thick, and still a tad flimsy lol...... so picky :rolleyes:

Then i stumbled on the Ultex 1.0, and found that its stiffer on the tip than the 1.14 Tortex, and thinner.

Now that I've been hooked on the Ultex for so long, I thought that was it.......
My son occasionally leaves a JP Jazz III pick next to my Fractal, once in a while. :oops:

I tried it, found it tiny obviously, and also thought, "this is way to thick".
After looking at it closely though, i realized that the tip isn't thick at all, and has a slow, smooth as glass taper.
Grrrrrrrrr, what do i do, besides give it a go. I found it to be percussive, and very fast, but lacking for dynamic strumming, since you're always so close to the tip.It's also not quite as warm, for slower lead playing.

So, for me, it's the reason for this post, from the beginning lol.
I'm thinking using both would be like trying to pitch left and right handed, and during each switch, time to adapt.

I'm going through an arpeggio phase, which puts me right on the fence ugh!

This Forum is awesome btw.
Instead of seeing what everyone had for dinner on Fakebook, we can talk about things that matter to six string slingers...... 7,8,10,20 whatever lol.
It's amazing what matters to us, right down to Bias Excusion omg, won't go there. :)

Yeah, I wouldn't have believed that. That's nuts.
The first pick i ever used was a Fender thin, on a peavey T-15 in 1981.
When i got good enough to learn faster lead playing, i thought, "how am i going to alternate pick like Al Dimeola, with this thing. This is a strumming pick." To imagine that Paul Gilbert uses .50mm picks, and is able to percussively execute lightning fast palm muted runs, is unbelievable to me. Guess its a fact though, but extremely rare. He must have bionic ball and socket joints lol.

That said, I have this nagging suspicion that after 20+ years of playing guitar I still don't know shit about picks or picking. Gilbert plays with a bendy 0.5mm Tortex nowadays and he's easily twice as fast and more articulate on his worst day as I am on my best. I have the same exact pick. I don't understand how he does it. To me this means that if you "have it" then pick choice sort of doesn't really matter.
For the best part of the late seventies it was more or less Fender medium, then during the eighties heavy’s and this lasted till about 10-15 years ago. After that started experimenting with all the latest and greatest size, shape and gauges, but as far as gauge always around the 1.14 to 1.50 mark. Then a few years ago seen Paul talking about using the Tortex .50 and how he liked the sound of them hitting, and also coming of the strings. Turn’s out, so did I!
Basically forced myself to work with them, (Tortex .50’s) because there were problems in the beginning! For me, playing fast was not the problem. Two main problems had a tendency to become very sloppy on the 5th and 6th strings especially with the slower tempo’s.
In the end started using .60 Tortex and Ultex (depends on my mood) for acoustic I’ll go to a .73 or .88.

Back
Top Bottom