Anyone still using Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm yellow picks?

I like the Ultex as they don't easily slip in your hand. Lately I have been using the 2.5mm Dunlop Prime Tone and 3.0mm Stubby jazz picks. I drill a hole in them about a 1/3rd of the way above the tip.

I like the Ultex as they don't easily slip in your hand. Lately I have been using the 2.5mm Dunlop Prime Tone and 3.0mm Stubby jazz picks. I drill a hole in them about a 1/3rd of the way above the tip.
Once in a while i use a little dab of "Gorilla Snot", for super grip ;)

Jazz III XL Black forever now. Ultex is a bit too bright for me, but glad they finally have an XL version. I keep trying other ones but I’m soooo used to the XL black. It does everything I need.

1.14 Ultex sharps here too. When I was playing live a lot, I used to do some incisions on the picks to get a better grip when sweaty.

Same here. The BlueChip seems not to wear at all, has a nice sound and has some weight to it. Nice grip also. But it is expensive.
My ex-wife gave me a BlueChip jazz pick about 10 years ago. I used it for about 3 years before losing it. It immediately sped up my picking in a noticeable improvement. Fortunately that transferred to other picks so now I use the ones that are a buck or two and not 50.

I use the 1.14 Ultex sharps. I swap between them an Dunlop Gel mediums (the reds). Depends on my mood.

Those are the exact same picks I've settled into using for the last few years. I love the sharp point and the material 'sounds' much the same as a regular Fender standard pick and wear down a lot less.

I have to score grooves into both sides of Ultex picks with a knife so I can hold onto them; if I don't do that I can't control them at all.

My ex-wife gave me a BlueChip jazz pick about 10 years ago. I used it for about 3 years before losing it. It immediately sped up my picking in a noticeable improvement. Fortunately that transferred to other picks so now I use the ones that are a buck or two and not 50.
$50 ???

I use the 1.14 Ultex sharps. I swap between them an Dunlop Gel mediums (the reds). Depends on my mood.
Do you notice any difference in tone between Regular Ultex and sharp? I ordered regular Ultex online, and got sharp by mistake. Sometimes I like sharp for fast alternating string skipping, but find the tone in the pick attack to be weaker in general.

Back
Top Bottom