Anyone sell all their tube amps?

I sold them all except for 2. 1: A Dr. Z Jetta that's in the shop. Once it's fixed, it's getting sold. 2: A limited edition Blues Jr IV I bought last year that's pretty killer. It will be the only actual amp I keep, along with a few selected pedals for an alternate old school setup whenever I'm bored or wanna hear something different than my FM3 rig.

Bought whatever i sold back and more. Fractal just made it clear to me that nothing in life can replace anything else. Fractal is great if i have no time or patience to set up a recording chain on a real amp or to experiment and have fun, but it can never replace a tube amp for me. Not in a million years.

I sold 1 of my 2 1993 Marshall Plexi reissues. I still need to sell the other. I should also sell my Triaxis. The Axe Fx does the Triaxis better than the Triaxis does.
Only a few of the pointless amps. My tube amps are appreciating. Plus they are all terrific. The benefit of the III for me, is that they are all inside a small and relatively lightweight box!

So I did a bit of a 360 on this one a couple of months later from my post. An amazing deal on an amp and 212 came my way and after trying it, I made the decision to take it home. Still really enjoying it and using my Axe III as well. Kind of nice to have both here now. I sold quite a few guitars about 3 months ago and paired it down to only 3, so this worked out well for me.

So I did a bit of a 360 on this one a couple of months later from my post. An amazing deal on an amp and 212 came my way and after trying it, I made the decision to take it home. Still really enjoying it and using my Axe III as well. Kind of nice to have both here now. I sold quite a few guitars about 3 months ago and paired it down to only 3, so this worked out well for me.
That’s not a bad starting strategy. Most guitars sounds wonderful through a great amp. An amazing guitar will sound like crap through a terrible amp.

The sample group here will be weighted heavily towards people who are all-in on Fractal.

I used to build my own amps and gigged them at shows for years. The Ultra cured me of that because it sounded better than my amps.

Over time, I gravitated back to amps because I really enjoy the tactile experience of traditional knobs and switches. I also still enjoy doing Amp mods. Im thankful that I don't have to sign some declaration of allegience to one or the other.

Fractal introduced me to Friedman and I've got a variety of Friedman related tube amp stuff as a direct result. I guess Friedman is pretty well known now but back then, I'd never heard of it.

The Fractal gear hasn't really replaced my tube amps because it's a different playing experience. Fortunately, they coexist nicely. I think there is room in a player's heart for more than one device

I think there is room in a player's heart for more than one device
Agreed. I personally just have no more need to own the physical amplifiers anymore. I'm older now, and don't want to have to carry heavy things around.
After my first real amp, a used Peavey Deuce I bought in '80, I got a Lab Series L11 head and cab brand new in '82, since my guitar teacher had the L9 combo, and I liked it.

Went from that to a Mesa Boogie MKIIC that I ordered direct and got 4 months after placing the order in '84 (the shared tone stack between clean and dirty was hard to deal with - one would sound good, and the other wouldn't). Put it in the back seat of my Mustang and ripped the seat once. Now I only put equipment in the trunk of my car!

Traded that one in for a Fender Red Knob "The Twin" in '87. Loved that amp, but it weighed 80 lbs! Was still using an Alesis Quadraverb and my Tom Scholz Chorus with the Boogie and the Fender.

In '91, bought and set up a complete MIDI switching Rig with my ADA MP1, Quadraverb, Tom Scholz Chorus and split stack and all of that. for 20 years.

I used an Eleven Rack for a year after that before my AXE II. I used a 3rd Power stereo power amp the last year I used the ADA, and the year of using the Eleven Rack - made the ADA sound like a total monster! The Eleven Rack wasn't running FRFR, so I had to make the presets "sound good" for the power amp and Spit Stack ADA cabinets

Got the AXE II, and was determined to go to FRFR so I didn't have to remake my presets for recording VS live. Got a Matrix Power Amp and 2 of their CFR12 Wedges for live. Sounded fantastic! Went to the AXE III, and then changed my band over to In-ear monitors almost 2 years ago so the hard-of-hearing bassist and drummer wouldn't deafen me (started to hear my ears ringing due to excessive snare and head-splitting bass - bassist uses an AX8 with some @austinbuddy presets that came out just in time!)

Sold the ADA 2 years ago, the Fender and Lab Series amps last year. Down to my AXEII, AXIII, AX8 and my Spark Amp that I haven't used much, but it has a speaker in it for when the wife isn't at home, but usually use the monitors on my PC when practicing, to keep things quiet.

I still stop by my favorite guitar shop and plug into their real amps a couple of times a month, and talk with their staff, so I get my real amp fix in! However, they only stock small combo amps anymore, no stacks or 4x12's - not a great market for that in NE Iowa, I guess - everyone's tired of moving big iron. It all changed in the past 3 years.

Reactions: ESW
Actually, after a while with the new Cygnus on the FM3, I will be sending the Savage 60 away and keeping the Fireball. I'm absolutely happy with the FM3. Also during our last band session, our lead guitar players PV5150 power tubes failed because of bad connection on the guitar cab. That makes the Fractal + SS power amp combination a lot better and reliable alternative to a tube amp.

I'm actually buying more. Admittedly, I don't have an Axe Fx III, but I still use my II in my studio.

I don't get to do it as often anymore, but there's just such satisfaction that takes over when I crank a tube amp through a real cab.

I have sold all of my amps (Bogner's, Mesa's and Fender Prosonic's) except a real 1965 Super Reverb that was my dad's. I will never sell that. I think the Super in the Axe FX III sounds just as good as the real Super. Cygnus has made me hear all of the artifacts that I heard in the real one. You know the ones where you think you are hurting the amp because you are pushing it so hard.

Yep...sold it ALL. All rack effects, tube pre amps, mixer, pedals, cabs. I feel like a minimalist with just a furman, axfx3, and stereo power amp in the rack. I actually bought vented blank fillers to put in the rack....NOW THATS A FIRST. Lol

Yep...sold it ALL. All rack effects, tube pre amps, mixer, pedals, cabs. I feel like a minimalist with just a furman, axfx3, and stereo power amp in the rack. I actually bought vented blank fillers to put in the rack....NOW THATS A FIRST. Lol

I also have my wireless receiver in my rack, and I have my Freqout pedal in the rear running through one of the loops - I have to remember to press the button on it to turn it on sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom