Anyone sell all their tube amps?

Sold my Boogie Road King II Head last year and ended up buying a nice Martin acoustic with the cash I got for it. I've kept my MKV35 though. I've not turned it on for a while. I tried the FM3 via the 4CM back July but haven't turned the amp on since. Sold all my pedals though I don't own a single one now.

Just sold my last tube amp, 1997 Fender "The Twin" with red knobs. No more tube amplifiers here. Just Fractal and a tiny Roland Cube.

Genuinely curious.... I've gone back and forth between analog and digital a few times and think I may be settled on digital. I just sold 3 of my 5 tube amps and all of my pedals, to both pay some bills and to get another III, and I don't regret it one bit.

It comes down to one question: what inspires you to PLAY MORE GUITAR? I realized that I was writing and playing the most guitar when I had the III. I think it comes down to convenience, which is a huge factor for me personally. I live in a small apartment, so unpacking and hooking up an amp, load box (headphones) and pedal board with a dozen cables just became a deterrent to be honest.

With the III, having so many pro-grade amp and effects tones with the flip of 1 switch, it almost feels like cheating.

The 2 amps I have left are amazing, but I guess I'll need to see how often I play them, to make a better decision. The GAS is tempting though, as there are a couple more guitars calling my name, which could easily be funded by selling these.
I sold my whole touring rig after watching a few YouTube videos and chatting to a few people as I was convinced it was the way to go. A fender twin, blackstar artisan and a Soldano SLO 100 (I still have one of these in storage). Also a ton of pedals on a massive board that costs ridiculous money to ship anywhere. Had the axe only a few days but I love it already. The fact that I can turn up and play anywhere with just a rack unit and a guitar, and have my tones sound just like they do on record is a godsend. Also no need for a guitar tech. Bands are able to tour much more economically. Super exciting that the tech has finally caught up.

I sold my Roland Jazz Chorus 120 head to help fund my FM3 after confirming I liked the JC model in the FM3 more than the real deal. Now that I'm moving up to the Axe III, I originally planned to sell my Blackstar Series One 1046L6 (my core sound the last 9 years) along with my Blackstar 10th anniversary Series One combo. Thankfully I am no longer in a position where I must sell them.

For now I'm keeping them for sentimental value, but I liked the amp sounds I was getting out of the FM3 more than my Blackstars. Will be interesting to try tone matching the 1046L6 as this was something I always wanted to try, but never thought I would get the chance to.

I sold all my amps after I got a Helix. My main draw to Fractal was to lose the rest of my pedals. I still had a sizeable board with a Drop, Freqout, and BigSky. Now I just have the Freqout tucked in my rack in loop 3.

The bonus was the better modeling across the board.

Quoting myself from March 9, on this thread.
It's funny you say that, I may pick up a Fender Princeton in the near future (week or so). I want it for the living room, "functional art".
It will go with the decor and just a great sounding amp.
I did grab the amp and glad I did, it's quick easy, no temptation to tweak while playing (But that's my issue not everyone else).
Have the Axe Fx III going through a FRFR system. Sounds great: yeah of coarse! But since it is FRFR a mic is involved with the sound.

Could get a cab with a guitar speaker and a separate power amp that would solve the problem of using a IR for a cab sound and cut the mic out of the equation. But that's kind of neutering a major ability of the Axe Fx. (Yes I know you can set it up to have your cake and eat it too.) But kind of referring to home use here.

Bottom line I like it both ways. The little Princeton (which sounds glorious! btw) has a totally different feel then going FRFR with the Axe. Even have a little Fender Champ 600, one power switch, and a volume control, no tone controls of any type. Keep the amp maxed and control volume and tone from the guitar. The Champ sound's ok -- ish; but it keeps you honest IMO. If I can get it to sound good on the Champ, going to sound fantastic on everything else.
Have had thought's about getting another combo amp but low wattage. Even when I had the big powerful amps back in the day could never get great sounds for the simple fact could not pump the volume enough to get them to sing. Well Axe Fx takes care of the problem and many others.

I‘ll be honest. I was a big skeptic of going the Axe route. Stuck in an old school way of thinking and didn’t realize what was possible, endlessly debating this topic with my band mate. He eventually got an AxeFX3 and after being real impressed by it, I decided to get one. It would be “good for practice only”, wouldn’t replace my amps for recording, live jams. About a month after it arrived I sold all my amps - JVM 410h, Orange OR15, Friedman BE50 Deluxe - all gone, including a few cabs, bunch of pedals. This was a year ago. Not one single regret since.

Sold my Friedman BE100 Deluxe with 4x12 Cab and countless pedals etc.
I loved that Amp but with the Axe Fx III I can play any time with Monitors or over PA, or even at home with Headphones if nessesary and I don't have to call all my band members fot help to carry all my stuff :cool:

At this point, had initially thought I would keep my last tube amp and cab but I already have a buyer for it...so that is pretty much a done deal.
For me, being able to use the FM3 or the Axe III through a good FRFR monitor that I like using (especially in stereo! ❤ ) and running the other output to FOH has been so much easier. I have a lot less to carry around, have a faster setup and teardown time and so many great sounds in one box...more then I could ever ask for and reliability.

We have no gigs for the foreseeable future at this point but we are regularly rehearsing and working more on our original stuff to record. After using the Axe III for many gigs for 2.5 years now, it just works and sounds the best of the bunch. I have really grown to love how easy this unit is to use. The way it works is logical to me. No issues using the front panel in absence of the editor when playing live.

I have the FM3 coming now so am really looking forward to an even more portable setup.

As always, a HUGE thanks to all here for the help and advice when needed.

Last edited:
Until I got my Axe Fx IIXL+ about 4 years ago I was running an FX8 with two Mesa Boogie Mark V amps in stereo. I sold the lot when I got the Axe FX II and never bought or wanted a valve amp again. I upgraded the the Mesa Boogies from 2 Genz Benz El Diablo 100 heads with Marshall 2x12 cabs and a G system - man that took a lot of moving around.

I just have a 6U rack and a board with the FC12 and 2 expression pedals now.

I first got a Kemper. Profiled all my amps in multiple 'dial-ins'. Then I sold them all. They paid for the Kemper, and bought me most of my Axe FXII XL+. Sold off most of my pedals (except for some semi-collectibles) to finish paying the Axe off..

I just tried my #1 amp again since purchasing my Axe. I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I am by my amp... I will still be keeping it for the near future with COVID and not really wanting to have sellers over/not wanting to ship it, but wow I'm surprised it's not as good as I remember. Props to the Axe for sounding and feeling so good! I definitely want to try some tone matching stuff before I would move toward selling it.

I just tried my #1 amp again since purchasing my Axe. I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I am by my amp... I will still be keeping it for the near future with COVID and not really wanting to have sellers over/not wanting to ship it, but wow I'm surprised it's not as good as I remember. Props to the Axe for sounding and feeling so good! I definitely want to try some tone matching stuff before I would move toward selling it.
What amp is it? Does fractal have a model for it?

Before my FM3 was delivered at about 3 and a half weeks ago, I was wondering if it would be good enough that I would find myself willing to sell of my Friedman JJ Jr. The thought kind of bummed me out, because I really liked that amp.

After about an hour with the FM3, I was like, "Well, I can sell the Friedman!" With no bad feelings whatsoever. In fact, it's already gone, plus the 2x12 cab and Fryette PS2. Through the Blue Mix-Fi headphones, it's like someone wired 200+ tube amps straight into my head.

I've also got a bunch of pedals boxed up to sell--including recreations of classic pedals I thought were lifetime keepers. I A-B'ed with the FM3, and in no case did I clearly prefer the analog pedal. To my ear, the FM3 was always as good or better. I still have a couple of Mu-tron-ish envelope filters because I have not been able to accurately recreate those on the FM3. But the minute I find those settings, they will be going, too.

For now, I'm keeping my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, because I love that amp and would feel a bit heartbroken to see it go. But I'm not sure how much I will play it. It could just be a long goodbye.

The FM3 just turned my world upside down.

Back
Top Bottom