Anyone sell all their tube amps?

Yeah, I have a triple rectifier that I'm getting rid of at the moment. I'm still keep my Rivera Knucklehead Tre that's been used twice since I started using Fractal 5 years ago as a backup and also because it's not modeled in the Axe FX III.

It's good to keep a tube amp around for those times when you question whether the modeling is as good as a real tube amp, specifically so you can plug it in and realize once again that it's as good or better.

Re: packaging, if you are worried about it you can pay fedex/ups/etc to pack your amp for you. If it's a common amp, your local dealer may still have the shipping materials.

This is quite a bit more expensive but for those rare instances where something gets damaged/destroyed it's worth the cost. 9/10 they will try to weasel out of insurance claims if they didn't pack it themselves.

Yes. Back in 2008. I did keep a 1967 Princeton that I would fire up once in a while...but I could achieve the same tone from the black box so I sold it six years ago.

Yeah I am tube ampless and loosk like I will stay that way. Have had a bunch of nice tube amps in past few years (Mesa,Marshall, Carol Ann, Bogner, Splawn, Fender, Ceriatone, PRS, etc).
I have also had a ton of modelers and every Axe FX product for years.
The Axe Fx 3 really is excellent.

I finally got to read all the way through this thread, and it’s a testimony to the Axe Fx that so many feel no need to have anything else. For the first decades of my playing career, I only kept one gigging amp (mostly Boogies) and a backup, and as I said earlier, the Axe Fx covers all the ground if you’re only going to have one. There’s no better one-stop option.

I did acquire a number of amps, guitars, and FX boxes over the next few decades of gigging (yes, hit 60 this year, so it has been that long). In late 2018, I began a project to improve my collection of guitars by selling off everything I didn’t play frequently and then compressing the inventory to fewer guitars that I liked better and played more. As you might imagine, these were generally higher cost instruments. That worked out fantastically, so I did a similar thing with pedals. Amps will be on the list next, though I don’t have as many (12 or so).

Some of those amps are classics that can’t be bought anymore, at least not for a decent price. They’ll be staying. The others will become another amp worth trading 2/3 to 1 to own. Maybe another Axe Fx III for home use.

Not trying to convince anyone to keep or sell anything, just elaborating on how I came to my earlier response. I’m very happy it isn’t an either/or proposition for me.

Last edited:
Just sold the 1983 JCM800 50w Head, have two Fenders to move, 1995 Prosonic and a Supersonic 100. Although I really like those amps they have to go. Personally I can't see myself ever going back to amps again. Have been passing a few on to my sons so maybe I'll just do that.
I only have a few pedals left an old 1980's Boss DS-1, TC Mojo overdrive and a TC Electronic G-System..I must part with them :(
Need to get rid of a few guitars too and consolidate under stairs storage. :)

Sold the second to last one today.
20 year old Marshall 2x12 combo JTM60 from England.
No regrets. Good memories.

I went from 2 CLRs to a Matrix GT1000FX 2U w/ a 2x12 loaded with EVM12Ls, then to the Adam 2.1 setup and now got 1 CLR back for the 2nd Axe III (my son is always using the setup with the Adams). I definitely preferred the sound with 2 CLRs over 1, but don't really need 2 for noodling in the living room. I don't have any experience with Freidman or Xitone, but if you're wanting that extra bit of sound I would try and snag a used CLR to add to your existing one. Even being able to set the FF/Tilt/BL switches different between the 2 when stacking them lets you "sculpt" the tone a bit more than you can with the one IMO..

I can’t believe after 4+ years with 2 CLRs that I never thought of stacking them and setting the switches differently!

Basement only player:

Sold mini Recto, Peavey Valve King, Traynor YC40,

Still have my 2 Mesa 112 cabs powered by GT1000fx, 2 Atomic Reactor passive fr cabs powered by Ehx Magnum 44s, 5w BlackStar Tube Combo.

Thinking lately as I close in on 60 yrs old I could probably ditch the cabs and ss amps also and be quite content just into Yamaha HS8s w sub.

Last edited:
Gonzo. No tube amps for about 4 years. Don't really miss them. I may buy a used Fender Blues Deluxe just to have something at home to mess around with.

Sold everything but 2 amps that have personal meaning to me (4x10 hot rod deville and Mesa studio pre). They gather dust, but they are home.

I owned many tubes amp (HK GM36, Diezel Einstein, fender clone, Viktor amp) and still have a nice Twin clone 3-tubes preamp into the return of my Katana Head 100W (BTW a great power amp class AB).
Love my AFX3 coz'...nothing can replace it ! :D 🤘

But it is makes me smile to push some nice OD/Fuzz pedals into my tube preamp/katana, with my cab. Just a different sound, not better, not worst, just different. I see no reason to stay away from any of these pleasures;) !

Back
Top Bottom