Anyone seeing Buckethead on this year's tour?

Nice playing. Had to look them up - hadn't a clue about em living under a rock like I do apparently. thanks for sharing. Don't really get the chicken bucket facemask thing but if you can play like that I guess anything goes!

Nice playing. Had to look them up - hadn't a clue about em living under a rock like I do apparently. thanks for sharing. Don't really get the chicken bucket facemask thing but if you can play like that I guess anything goes!

It's always great to discover new musicians, glad I could help.

BTW it's a he, not a them :)

Also some people would have you believe all he does is shred which is not the case. I actually prefer his down-tempo more melodic stuff personally, such as these:

The discography is huge and hard to navigate, let me know if you want any suggestions on albums etc.

Last edited:
Every time he come to NYC area, I go for the past few years.

Amazing guitar player that is just one with the instrument across a variety of styles a in very non-wankery way.

As a bonus, you get a martial arts demo, sometimes robot dancing, non-verbal puppet show, and toy giveaway.

His show is unlike any show you will ever see, it's very unique and always seems to change in an interesting way.

The fact that he could hold an audience in the palm of his hands without speaking once to them tells you how well he communicates to his audience through his art. First time I went, I was a naysayer but my friend had an extra ticket that was going to go to waste. Buckethead won me over with his performance and converted me.

I'm coordinating with my guitar hoarder friend whether we are going April 10th or 11th.

Once I know which date I will be attending, if any of you Fractalites want to meet up for a beer, let me know.

He doesn't do any shows in EU, so no. I've asked but there's no answer.

There's a very long and not so proud history of loads of American artists NEVER playing Europe. I remember seeing Live Aid in the 80's and not knowing half of the artists playing in the Philadelphia stadium. The US is huge and many an artist can make a very comfortable living playing only there. Which seems to be the wet dream of many a European artist as well. U2 for instance plays more in the US then Europe. But I reckon it can be worse. Many US artists only tour Europe if they do go abroad. You live anywhere else you get even less chance of seeing those artists.

There's a very long and not so proud history of loads of American artists NEVER playing Europe. I remember seeing Live Aid in the 80's and not knowing half of the artists playing in the Philadelphia stadium. The US is huge and many an artist can make a very comfortable living playing only there. Which seems to be the wet dream of many a European artist as well. U2 for instance plays more in the US then Europe. But I reckon it can be worse. Many US artists only tour Europe if they do go abroad. You live anywhere else you get even less chance of seeing those artists.

Not going to some territory is a combination of these things most of the times:
- not enough offers
- not enough interest (artist or booking agency)
- artist is too busy
- artist hates flying

I know some artists suffer from fear of flying, so it can be that too. Looking at his current tour I understand he has enough shows to do in US. So why bother, we are so far anyway :p

The same with a lot of European bands. In fact, a lot of bands I listen to never come to the US. The ones that do go from playing Wacken to some little club downtown to maybe 200 people. I don't blame them one bit.

Buckethead suffers from a lot of anxiety issues and a heart condition.

The only times I have heard of him touring extensively outside the US was in his Guns 'n Roses stint.

Every time I have seen him in the NYC area, he travels with 2 Marshall Silver Jubilee full stacks , a pedal board, two of his signature guitars, occasionally one bass that he may whip out for a tune, occasionally an acoustic guitar he may whip out for a tune, nunchaku, occasionally magic trick props, occasionally some hand puppets, some toys he gives away to fans, and his iPod that plays his backing drums/bass/key tracks. He travels with one assistant.

I would imagine that he buys the toys at every tour stop or ships them to arrive at the hotel of his tour stops, otherwise he might not be able to travel as light as he purportedly does. How that would work in the EU or elsewhere, even if he didn't have his anxiety and heart issues, I don't know.

The only times I have heard of him touring extensively outside the US was in his Guns 'n Roses stint.

Every time I have seen him in the NYC area, he travels with 2 Marshall Silver Jubilee full stacks , a pedal board, two of his signature guitars, occasionally one bass that he may whip out for a tune, occasionally an acoustic guitar he may whip out for a tune, nunchaku, occasionally magic trick props, occasionally some hand puppets, some toys he gives away to fans, and his iPod that plays his backing drums/bass/key tracks. He travels with one assistant.

I would imagine that he buys the toys at every tour stop or ships them to arrive at the hotel of his tour stops, otherwise he might not be able to travel as light as he purportedly does. How that would work in the EU or elsewhere, even if he didn't have his anxiety and heart issues, I don't know.
I see. That's not an easy task to do abroad without additional people. Sad to hear about his health condition. I hope all the best for him.

Not going to some territory is a combination of these things most of the times:
- not enough offers
- not enough interest (artist or booking agency)
- artist is too busy
- artist hates flying

I know some artists suffer from fear of flying, so it can be that too. Looking at his current tour I understand he has enough shows to do in US. So why bother, we are so far anyway :p

I get the impression with some bands and their management that they still think its the 1980's. There's only Western Europe and every country has different rules and regulations. Especially U2 still seems to think like that. The wall however has come down, there's a common EU market. The world and potential markets have gotten a lot bigger. I reckon that any band that has to live off touring, as nobody buys CD's anymore, should take advantage of that.

The same with a lot of European bands. In fact, a lot of bands I listen to never come to the US. The ones that do go from playing Wacken to some little club downtown to maybe 200 people. I don't blame them one bit.

I get the impression its a lot harder for Euro acts to play in the US due to legal reasons then the other way around. Legal stuff. And socalled post 9-11 security stuff too. Or weird stuff. Like Rammstein getting arrested in the early 2000's for doing their Buck Dich routine, which stopped them from touring North America for almost a decade.

I would imagine that he buys the toys at every tour stop or ships them to arrive at the hotel of his tour stops, otherwise he might not be able to travel as light as he purportedly does.

That is light? :confused: Never mind shipping that to Europe, just hauling all of that on stage, off stage, into the touring van, gig after gig after gig, that alone is enough to give anyone a heart condition.

How that would work in the EU or elsewhere, even if he didn't have his anxiety and heart issues, I don't know.

Like I said, too much stuff. Ditch the stacks and pedal board, get an Axe-FX and maybe his heart issues will go away? :D

Back
Top Bottom