Anyone running WDW, but using 2x FRFR monitors as the WETS with a real amp+cab as the dry?

Georgy

Inspired
* APOLOGIES IF THIS ISN'T IN THE RIGHT FORUM *

As the title suggests, I’m just curious to see if anyone is doing this with their setup at home/studio?

I’ve got a neat setup; Axe FX 3 with a pair of Yamaha HS7’s which are great. I also have a Wizard MC25ii and a 1x12 cab. What I’m trying to achieve is exactly as per the title, but I’m not 100% sure if that can be done..

Has anyone actually done this, and if so, how does it sound?
Any pro's and con's to this way of running WDW? (any tonal or volume sacrifices?

Interestingly enough, my Wizard MC25 has midi, so I could run it through the Axe 3 to change channels/boosts, whilst using it with the 1x12 cab..

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks guys

No cons only pros.
I use 2 CLRs for the wet and a 2x12 with G12-65s for dry. I feed the 2x12 from output 3 (before the cab block) into a Carvin power amp and just blend enough in to give it a more "amp in the room" feeling. I'm not 100% wet in the CLR's either. Best sound that I've ever had.

Yes, I built a couple rigs for clients just like this. Sounds great. Dry cab in the middle lets you get all kinds of feedback and response since the tone isn't clouded by wet effects. The Wet sides sound heavenly.

Outside of the setup time, weight etc It's one of the best ways to run the AxeFX

No cons only pros.
I use 2 CLRs for the wet and a 2x12 with G12-65s for dry. I feed the 2x12 from output 3 (before the cab block) into a Carvin power amp and just blend enough in to give it a more "amp in the room" feeling. I'm not 100% wet in the CLR's either. Best sound that I've ever had.

PM'd..

* APOLOGIES IF THIS ISN'T IN THE RIGHT FORUM *

As the title suggests, I’m just curious to see if anyone is doing this with their setup at home/studio?

I’ve got a neat setup; Axe FX 3 with a pair of Yamaha HS7’s which are great. I also have a Wizard MC25ii and a 1x12 cab. What I’m trying to achieve is exactly as per the title, but I’m not 100% sure if that can be done..

Has anyone actually done this, and if so, how does it sound?
Any pro's and con's to this way of running WDW? (any tonal or volume sacrifices?

Interestingly enough, my Wizard MC25 has midi, so I could run it through the Axe 3 to change channels/boosts, whilst using it with the 1x12 cab..

Any input is welcomed.

Thanks guys

Here's what you could do with that setup without having to buy anything else. This would be for using the Wizard for tone generation and the Axe for FX.

1) Guitar>Wizard>1x12 Cab
2) Wizard line out>AxeFX>Yamaha HS7s
This would be more of a true W/D/W setup. The Wizard tone can get some delay and reverb added in the Axe 100% wet and then just blend the monitors in with the knobs.

or this setup -

1) Guitar>AxeFX>Wizard>1x12 Cab
2) Wizard Line Out>AxeFX>Yamaha HS7s
With this setup you could get some FX like wah before your amp and then add in the wet spatial FX later. Blend knobs to taste.

or this setup -

1) Guitar>AxeFX>Yamaha HS7s
2) AxeFX>Wizard FX Loop Return>1x12 Cab

With this setup you get all the beauty of the amp tones in the Axe unit, with the power tubes of your Wizard feeding your dry cab. This one pulls your Wizard tone out of the equation but gives you some more versatility with all of the Axe amp tones.

Last edited:
Here's what you could do with that setup without having to buy anything else. This would be for using the Wizard for tone generation and the Axe for FX.

This would be more of a true W/D/W setup. The Wizard tone can get some delay and reverb added in the Axe 100% wet and then just blend the monitors in with the knobs.

or this setup -

1) Guitar>AxeFX>Wizard>1x12 Cab
2) Wizard Line Out>AxeFX>Yamaha HS7s
With this setup you could get some FX like wah before your amp and then add in the wet spatial FX later. Blend knobs to taste.

or this setup -

1) Guitar>AxeFX>Yamaha HS7s
2) AxeFX>Wizard FX Loop Return>1x12 Cab

With this setup you get all the beauty of the amp tones in the Axe unit, with the power tubes of your Wizard feeding your dry cab. This one pulls your Wizard tone out of the equation but gives you some more versatility with all of the Axe amp tones.

This is great – I Like experimenting with options!

Actually.. I should also mention this.. I do have a Suhr Reactive Load, and I also have an Alto powered wedge.. I think this gives me another option (I think?).

I can run the Wizard > Suhr Reactive Load > Axe, and then just load an IR or cab of my choice for the Wizard. If I set this up properly, I should then be able to route it so that the Wizard’s tone comes from the Alto as the DRY, but still use my Yamaha HS7’s as the WETS…? Does that sound right? Just need to make sure I set up the outputs correctly.. I think?! By doing it this way, there’s no further need for using the Wizard + 1x12 as the ‘real amp + cab’ for this setup. Everything is technically FRFR and should be a true WDW setup, given I’m using 3 FRFR speakers.

Otherwise, I should just be able to your first recommendation which was:

Does the line out represent the Suhr Reactive Load > Axe FX > HS7s?

Sorry for the noob questioning.. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Thanks

I used to run W/D/W a while back when I had the Axe II,

Guitar >> Mesa TC50 half stack as dry source in the middle.
Mesa FX out >> Axe in.
Axe out 1 >> Matrix power amp >> 2 x XiTone cabs L+R.

Sound? Crazy.
Weight? Impossible crazy.
Setup / mobility? Forget it mate, this space shuttle is staying at home and doesn’t go anywhere.
There is programing of course needed for FX only and the wiring and hassle, not worth the pain.

After a while when I got the III I decided to complicate it more and run the Mesa in 4CM so I can push it with overdrives comp' wha etc and also some FX into it when i want.
Again, the results were phenomenal but seriously, it is useless in live situation as the PA doesn't have "middle" as well as for recording.

Its pure fun for home use and tests, not more than that.

Last edited:
Mine is a home setup only... It started out as a A/B test between the monitors and the guitar cab.... What I found is I like a mix of both cab and monitors the best... Just for fun and my enjoyment only

This is great – I Like experimenting with options!

Actually.. I should also mention this.. I do have a Suhr Reactive Load, and I also have an Alto powered wedge.. I think this gives me another option (I think?).

I can run the Wizard > Suhr Reactive Load > Axe, and then just load an IR or cab of my choice for the Wizard. If I set this up properly, I should then be able to route it so that the Wizard’s tone comes from the Alto as the DRY, but still use my Yamaha HS7’s as the WETS…? Does that sound right? Just need to make sure I set up the outputs correctly.. I think?! By doing it this way, there’s no further need for using the Wizard + 1x12 as the ‘real amp + cab’ for this setup. Everything is technically FRFR and should be a true WDW setup, given I’m using 3 FRFR speakers.

Otherwise, I should just be able to your first recommendation which was:

Does the line out represent the Suhr Reactive Load > Axe FX > HS7s?

Sorry for the noob questioning.. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Thanks

Yes you can run the Alto as your middle dry cab but for me personally, I like a real guitar cab in that spot. W/D/W is the best tone that I've ever got from the Fractal units.

You can certainly run the Wizard into the Suhr RL for a line level out but you already have a line level out on the back of the amp. I looked up an image of the back panel because I had never seen a Wizard MC25 before. If you run the Wizard as your tone generator (1st or 2nd config), when you turn up the master, it should also increase the line out level at the same time so when you get all of your outputs/volume levels set where you like them, you should be able to turn that one knob on the amp and hear your dry cab and wet monitors increase at the same time.
I'm getting stoked for you. You're gonna dig it.

46934_Wizard_MC25_4_9a1b0bea-1661-4378-80a0-2d5121c4f1d9_800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you can run the Alto as your middle dry cab but for me personally, I like a real guitar cab in that spot. W/D/W is the best tone that I've ever got from the Fractal units.

You can certainly run the Wizard into the Suhr RL for a line level out but you already have a line level out on the back of the amp. I looked up an image of the back panel because I had never seen a Wizard MC25 before. If you run the Wizard as your tone generator (1st or 2nd config), when you turn up the master, it should also increase the line out level at the same time so when you get all of your outputs/volume levels set where you like them, you should be able to turn that one knob on the amp and hear yourand dry cab and wet monitors increase at the same time.
I'm getting stoked for you. You're gonna dig it.

46934_Wizard_MC25_4_9a1b0bea-1661-4378-80a0-2d5121c4f1d9_800x800.jpg

DISCLAIMER #2 from me.. whoops!! My Wizard was built for me by a friend who builds amps.. it's a clone, but it's a modded clone..

On that note, it's like a stock MC25 but with a few nifty additions.. Both channels have 3x boosts and it has midi (perfect for my FX8), however it doesn't have a line level out.. that's ok though, I can use my SRL to compensate for this.

Overall though, you've made a good point and have convinced me to use the Wizard instead of my Alto wedge. This means I'll need to set my levels right because my Wizard doesn't have line level out, meaning I can't turn the amp and the Axe 3 up at the same time (?).

No stress my man, I'll figure it out.

Many thanks again for the input 🤘

1599093371597.png

Back
Top Bottom