Anyone running keys through their Axe?

Works extremely well.
You might consider a Jupiter X if that’s the sound you’re going for. I’d be cautious of an aging Juno which can be incredibly expensive to maintain and repair.

Works extremely well.
You might consider a Jupiter X if that’s the sound you’re going for. I’d be cautious of an aging Juno which can be incredibly expensive to maintain and repair.

For sure, I had a 106 and 2 voice chips went out, which they don’t make anymore, would of cost about 2x what I originally paid for the thing just to repair it.

Get a behringer deepmind 12, does all the Juno stuff and then some and for about 1/4th the price

When I got my III, my Ultra got wired into my mixer on one of the aux busses as a general purpose FX unit. My Juno sounds fantastic through it. I could do the same with the III but there's really no need.

I did it once a few months ago for a distorted organ section and I suspect I’ll do it quite a bit in the future, just haven’t had the reason to do it since I did it initially. I just got a subscription to East West for their Play VST and it includes a TON of different synths inside it, I’m sure there’s plenty of stuff in there I’ll get a kick out of running through the III, especially when I don’t feel like playing with internal effects in the VST as it’s quicker for me to just dial them in AxeEdit.

Thanks guys. Side tracking a bit to keys--- total newb here. Am I better off getting a cheaper (but reliable) keyboard, and getting my sounds from plug ins like Arturia? Or am I better off biting the bullet with a ~$800 keyboard and using the sounds included? Speaking in terms of both quality of the sound and number of presets available

Thanks guys. Side tracking a bit to keys--- total newb here. Am I better off getting a cheaper (but reliable) keyboard, and getting my sounds from plug ins like Arturia? Or am I better off biting the bullet with a ~$800 keyboard and using the sounds included? Speaking in terms of both quality of the sound and number of presets available

Personally, I use my keyboard as a controller about 85% to 90% of the time. There are a few samples/sounds I prefer in the physical unit vs. plugins, but I tend to use plugins the majority of the time. Having said that, I've never tried routing them through the Axe-Fx, though I know it can be done. If it were me, I'd buy a keyboard controller and some plugins. And plugins make it a breeze to change sounds in a project after the fact.

Am I better off getting a cheaper (but reliable) keyboard, and getting my sounds from plug ins like Arturia? Or am I better off biting the bullet with a ~$800 keyboard and using the sounds included?

If you’re playing live, you would probably want to start with a keyboard that had its own sound generating capability – unless you want to rely on a laptop every time you play out.

If it’s for use in a home studio, then you’re going to get a greater bang for the buck if you get a MIDI controller keyboard, and add as many plugins as you like or can afford.

One of the things that really pisses me off is that it’s very difficult to find organ style (unweighted) keyboards in full 88-note length … everything is either semi-weighted or weighted.

I’ve been playing synths for nearly 50 years. I used to have (literally) rooms full of synths, but as things became more and more computer-based, I liquidated the hardware and switched to controllers and plugins. The sheer variety and power of the plugins I have now absolutely dwarfs all the hardware I had before, and I had some monster synths – like an Oberheim 8-voice you can now transcend with Arturia’s SEM plugin.

And I do not miss having analog synths – I thank Bog and all his holy angels for the stability of digital. Guitars, of course, are something else altogether.

I reamp a few things through the 3. Keys, samples, snares (sometimes even the drum buss). Because it’s supereasy to run stuff through it I’m finding I’m recording just the reverbs and delays into Logic. They really do sound superb.

Personally, I use my keyboard as a controller about 85% to 90% of the time. There are a few samples/sounds I prefer in the physical unit vs. plugins, but I tend to use plugins the majority of the time. Having said that, I've never tried routing them through the Axe-Fx, though I know it can be done. If it were me, I'd buy a keyboard controller and some plugins. And plugins make it a breeze to change sounds in a project after the fact.

If you’re playing live, you would probably want to start with a keyboard that had its own sound generating capability – unless you want to rely on a laptop every time you play out.

If it’s for use in a home studio, then you’re going to get a greater bang for the buck if you get a MIDI controller keyboard, and add as many plugins as you like or can afford.

Thanks for the input, super helpful. Def not playing out with this setup (studio only) so the keyboard controller/plugins is the way to go. I'll grab a decent Arturia controller with a couple of their plugins (half off on SW right now) and be set. No keyboards to get damaged and repair-- I like it

I Post here, my question.. maybe it could be useful also for others :)
I have a midi keyboard, that i usually use for recordings with a plug-in dedicated. If i set from the plugin the axe fx3 asio4all, i can also listen the keys from the axe headphones out, or from the monitors which the axe is wired to.
But if i would like process the keyboard audio through the axe, which is the right procedure? I created a new preset with an input1usb, a chain of effects and at the end an output one, but no signal comes into the imput..i probably did something noob in the midi settings..:(
Someone has some advice?
Thank you in advance

I Post here, my question.. maybe it could be useful also for others :)
I have a midi keyboard, that i usually use for recordings with a plug-in dedicated. If i set from the plugin the axe fx3 asio4all, i can also listen the keys from the axe headphones out, or from the monitors which the axe is wired to.
But if i would like process the keyboard audio through the axe, which is the right procedure? I created a new preset with an input1usb, a chain of effects and at the end an output one, but no signal comes into the imput..i probably did something noob in the midi settings..:(
Someone has some advice?
Thank you in advance
Your connection from the computer to the Axe Fx needs to use correct outputs:

0CE76EFF-4208-40D6-A0A3-0F355D754FC6.jpeg

Outputs 7 and 8 on the computer send audio to USB input.

Back
Top Bottom