Anyone remove rubber feet and end rubber to mount to board?

Might hold firm? How is the screw connecting to the chassis going to change holding ability if the bumper is in place? It’s the same connection either way.
My response was subjective, because I've only tried working with the #6-40 ⅜".

Yes. The head is too close to the size of the perforations in the Temple Audio board to trust. I’d prefer a bit wider washers but these should work.

With the Temple Audio boards, I suspect it’s not even necessary to buy different screws if the bumpers are removed. Without the bumpers the factory screws should reach through the board and into the chassis with enough extra length to accommodate a regular thickness washer. I didn’t try that, it’s something I thought about after the fact.
Thank you again.

The ⅜" screws will allow for this (not using the rubber feet). My concern stems from wondering if the #6-40 ⅞" screws can reach into the FM9 screw wells with the rubber feet kept on the FM9. If the rubber feet's "thickness" is less than ½" and the screw wells are not deeply recessed, the ⅞" will work.

My hope was that you've already verified this, and from viewing your images above, it seems that you have verified.

Well,

I don't wish to burst anyone's balloons here, but I tried the M3.5 x ¾" with the rubber feet to no avail. Too small a thread diameter; kept sliding out the screw well. It may be that my source of materials isn't placing the correct screws in their respective bins, but common sense tells me that if one buys something designed to work correctly, it had better work.

Unfortunately, that's not how the world sees it. Retail stores take your money for products whether they work or not, and if you don't like it, you can always return what you purchased with a receipt.

So I've opted for some #6-40 x ⅞" screws from amazon, which may or may not work at all. What I can tell you is, the #6-40 x ⅜" screws I originally found at my home improvement outlet work with #6 zinc-coated 0.8mm washers when no rubber feet are attached.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I ordered some Monsterbolts #6-40 x ⅞" (20 pack), and #6-40 x 1" (20 pack). It may be that what I located at my home improvement store may be nothing like what Monsterbolts sells, but for the minimal damage done to my wallet with the ⅞" and 1" screws, I think I do not need worry about how much was paid.

My feeling is, check-out clerks stand around taking folks money every single day of the week. Whether we buy anything that is designed to work correctly may be the difference. (I think my tool kit now is home to a multitude of miscreant and non-working bits of screw parts. Let the buyer beware.)

Last edited:
My friend, I'm not sure what to tell you...the hardware store had them listed as M6/40s. Apparently, M6/40s are available only up unto ⅞" lengths, which may be the reason the numbers didn't match up when you tried ordering.

I'm gonna step back and let @unix-guy guide you by suggesting to keep the rubber feet on, and choose M3.5-0.60 16mm screws. I've got several sets of the 16mms arriving in the next day or so, and will report once I've tried re-assembling my board with the 16mm screws.

Because the M6/40 screws didn't work for you, and I trust @unix-guy's advice, I'd be more than happy to make up for your loss and send you how many 16mm screws you might need. I think I can spare about a dozen of 'em if this will set us straight.
Thank you for your generosity but no need to compensate. Just let it be known that M6-40 iz not the correct size of the factory screwz regardless of length. Length will depend on the specific needz to each personz setup. What's most important iz the correct size. I'm now confuzed how anyone could get an M6 in an M3.5 hole...

Thank you for your generosity but no need to compensate. Just let it be known that M6-40 iz not the correct size of the factory screwz regardless of length. Length will depend on the specific needz to each personz setup. What's most important iz the correct size. I'm now confuzed how anyone could get an M6 in an M3.5 hole...
It may be that the source materials that are designated as M6/40 are not correct, and that #6-40 x ⅞" is more accurate. The M3.5 x 0.6 16 mm is indeed metric, whereas the #6-40 is SAE (Imperial). They're very closely related, but one is metric, the other, SAE. That is the issue, and may be how we solve our problem.

What I can tell you is that #6-40 x ⅜" DO work correctly with #6 x 0.8mm thin zinc-coated washers for attaching your FM9 without the rubber feet.

Or, that the designation of M6/40 x ⅜ gun screws I located at my home improvement store is a separate description altogether.

Whatever the case, some M3.5-0.6 x 16mm screws arrived today, which I'll like give a wide pass on utilizing. I've also got some #6-40 x ⅞" and #6-40 x 1" arriving next week.

My feeling is that the M(x)-(y) x (?) designation is not correct when ordering online, and that ordering from Monsterbolts/amazon with the #(x)-(y) x (?) designation may be the correct item. It is important that when searching for screws, you need to enter the correct info in the search bar.

Searching for "Monsterbolts #6-40 x ⅞" socket head screws" should help you find what you need, but don't buy these yet. I'd like to find out if the screws I've got on order will work, or not.

My hope is that these or the 1" screws will provide a correct fit for attaching the rubber feet back onto my FM9. If the amazon screws don't fit, it will be necessary to just use my home improvement store #6-40 x ⅜" screws solely with my FM9 (no rubber feet).

Last edited:
I emailed Fractal Audio support and waz told that for both the FC-12 and EV-1 that the screwz are M3.5 x 0.6mm
Thanks. The EV-1 screws are larger diameter than the FM9's by a scosh. Some M3.5-.6 x 16mm arrived today, but I think I'll wait until my #6-40's arrive later next week.

Again, what I located at my home improvement store may again not be the correct fit regards the M3.5. The bin that contained the screws said M3.5 x 16mm, but did not describe the diameter, which is vitally important for finding the correct size fit.

Thanks. The EV-1 screws are larger diameter than the FM9's by a scosh. Some M3.5-.6 x 16mm arrived today, but I think I'll wait until my #6-40's arrive later next week.

Again, what I located at my home improvement store may again not be the correct fit regards the M3.5. The bin that contained the screws said M3.5 x 16mm, but did not describe the diameter, which is vitally important for finding the correct size fit.
The diameter of M3.5 is 3.5mm, what do I miss?

The link below is for a 1" M6/40 screw. There doesn't seem to be one for a 1-⅛" but might be one for a 1-¼".

Click Here

This link is for a 1-¼" M6/40 hex head screw. There were also several other lengths that might work, including ¾" and ⅝".

Click Here
We understand you're trying to help, and just to help you out, the links are NOT for M6 screws, they are for #6 screws. You keep saying "M6" but there's a big difference; M3.5 screws are equivalent to #6 as the difference between them is about 2/100". M6 screws are almost twice as thick.

Fractal has confirmed that the screws used on their units are M3.5. They are the only authoritative source on this.

I followed what @unix-guy said which agrees with what Fractal said, and had no problems, except for getting the screws aligned. Once they were aligned the screws spun in without problems and the board and unit are now firmly connected.

The diameter of M3.5 is 3.5mm, what do I miss?
That is correct. What may still be wrong regards the so-called M3.5 x 16mm screws I located at my home improvement store is that the thread pitch is not correct. As was said, some M3.5-.6 x 16mm phillips head screws arrived at my home today, though it might be wise for me to not try swapping out my #6-40 x ⅜" socket head screws yet.

Although I'd really prefer to wait a few more days until my #6-40 x ⅞" and #6-40 x 1" socket head screws arrive, then, if necessary, spend an allotment of time working with each set of screws, until a viable solution occurs.

I'd rather not break up the workshop session into several days of putting the Duo 34 board up on my work surface and messing with the board more than once or how many times it takes. One session will solve (or not) what will allow my FM9's rubber feet to be replaced back on the FM9 and still attach the FM9 to my Duo board.

I'm patient enough, and believe in delayed gratification. I don't need a solution immediately.

We understand you're trying to help, and just to help you out, the links are NOT for M6 screws, they are for #6 screws. You keep saying "M6" but there's a big difference; M3.5 screws are equivalent to #6 as the difference between them is about 2/100". M6 screws are almost twice as thick.

Fractal has confirmed that the screws used on their units are M3.5. They are the only authoritative source on this.

I followed what @unix-guy said which agrees with what Fractal said, and had no problems, except for getting the screws aligned. Once they were aligned the screws spun in without problems and the board and unit are now firmly connected.
You are correct, and if you've followed my more recent posts, you'll see that I've re-worded what is available on amazon (their designations and sizes.)

My issue is not with either FAS or anyone else on this forum. It's my home improvement store that has M3.5 x 16mm socket head screws that don't fit my FM9. What I've tried to say is that the #6-40 x ⅜" gun screws from my home improvement store do fit, though my home improvement store-provided M3.5 x 16mm screws are too "narrow."

These may not be the M3.5-.6 x 16mm screws @unix-guy referred to. The M3.5's I've got are socket head screws. @unix-guy's were phillips head. So there is a difference. I've just not been able to locate at my store what's needed yet.

Meanwhile, my previous post describes what's on tap soon. Once all screw sizes arrive, it''ll be easier for me to try to put things up on my work surface and see what's up.

My issue is not with either FAS or anyone else on this forum. It's my home improvement store that has M3.5 x 16mm socket head screws that don't fit my FM9. What I've tried to say is that the #6-40 x ⅜" gun screws from my home improvement store do fit, though my home improvement store-provided M3.5 x 16mm screws are too "narrow."
Then that's between you and the store, right?

These may not be the M3.5-.6 x 16mm screws @unix-guy referred to. The M3.5's I've got are socket head screws. @unix-guy's were phillips head. So there is a difference. I've just not been able to locate at my store what's needed yet.
Again, that's between you and the store.

Socket head vs. phillips head is a moot point. The important issue is the underside of the screw head. If it's not flat it'll reduce the effective length of the screw and could keep it from meshing with the threads in the hole in the chassis. I used socket head screws and they worked fine. Fractal uses phillips head screws, and the same diameter and thread with a little extra length will work fine.

I see too much anguish and worry about something that's a very simple problem with a simple solution.

A #6-40 screw and a M3.5-0.6 screw are very similar. Their nominal outer diameter is almost identical at 0.1380" and 0.1378" respectively. The thread pitch is very close too at 40 threads per inch and 42.3 threads per inch respectively. Depending on the tolerances and depth of the tapped hole, they could possibly be used interchangeably. That said, if Fractal says it's an M3.5-0.6 screw, I'd highly recommend going that route.

Then that's between you and the store, right?

Again, that's between you and the store.

Socket head vs. phillips head is a moot point. The important issue is the underside of the screw head. If it's not flat it'll reduce the effective length of the screw and could keep it from meshing with the threads in the hole in the chassis. I used socket head screws and they worked fine. Fractal uses phillips head screws, and the same diameter and thread with a little extra length will work fine.

I see too much anguish and worry about something that's a very simple problem with a simple solution.
Yes, between me and the store.

I'm not worried about how much cash has been spent chasing an ideal situation. Once I've found what I need that'll will work for all FM9 owners, then I'll report back if the #6-40 socket head screws fit correctly, otherwise, I'll also verify what many are using per FAS's recommendations.

My original post regards attaching my FM9 had said that my home improvement store had M6-40 x ⅜" socket heads that worked. Apparently, the store's nomenclature is wrong, or that the gun screws themselves have their own nomenclature that I've not found elsewhere.

It very well may be (and is more likely) that the designation is #6-40 x ⅜" and the store has it labeled wrong.

That is correct. What may still be wrong regards the so-called M3.5 x 16mm screws I located at my home improvement store is that the thread pitch is not correct. As was said, some M3.5-.6 x 16mm phillips head screws arrived at my home today, though it might be wise for me to not try swapping out my #6-40 x ⅜" socket head screws yet.

Although I'd really prefer to wait a few more days until my #6-40 x ⅞" and #6-40 x 1" socket head screws arrive, then, if necessary, spend an allotment of time working with each set of screws, until a viable solution occurs.

I'd rather not break up the workshop session into several days of putting the Duo 34 board up on my work surface and messing with the board more than once or how many times it takes. One session will solve (or not) what will allow my FM9's rubber feet to be replaced back on the FM9 and still attach the FM9 to my Duo board.

I'm patient enough, and believe in delayed gratification. I don't need a solution immediately.
I would just go with the M3.5. X 0.6 that is specified by Fractal. I have too much experience with thread that seems to fit an locks up during fastening due to a small difference in pitch or diameter.

I would just go with the M3.5. X 0.6 that is specified by Fractal. I have too much experience with thread that seems to fit an locks up during fastening due to a small difference in pitch or diameter.
I've got the M3.5-.6 x 16mm screws at home now...though they're phillips heads should make no difference...will try these later this afternoon and see if they fit...just hoping that my #6-40 x ⅜" have not spoiled the screw well holes in the process...wish me luck installing these...

A #6-40 screw and a M3.5-0.6 screw are very similar. Their nominal outer diameter is almost identical at 0.1380" and 0.1378" respectively. The thread pitch is very close too at 40 threads per inch and 42.3 threads per inch respectively. Depending on the tolerances and depth of the tapped hole, they could possibly be used interchangeably. That said, if Fractal says it's an M3.5-0.6 screw, I'd highly recommend going that route.

Just installed the M3.5-.6 x 16mm screw set in each of the FM9's corners. Was mildly concerned when the screws sank into the screw wells without attaching, but with some elbow grease and concerted effort, the screws with #6 x 0.8 mm thin washers, seated correctly in the wells. Am satisfied with the work.

Will wait for there ⅞" and 1" #6-40 screws to arrive, but will let these sit unused. No need to use these if the M3.5-.6 x 16mm's have allowed the rubber feet to be attached again and solved the problem.

Just installed the M3.5-.6 x 16mm screw set in each of the FM9's corners. Was mildly concerned when the screws sank into the screw wells without attaching, but with some elbow grease and concerted effort, the screws with #6 x 0.8 mm thin washers, seated correctly in the wells. Am satisfied with the work.

Will wait for there ⅞" and 1" #6-40 screws to arrive, but will let these sit unused. No need to use these if the M3.5-.6 x 16mm's have allowed the rubber feet to be attached again and solved the problem.
Good to hear that the screws fit and you are satisfied with the result!

Good to hear that the screws fit and you are satisfied with the result!
Thanks. There wasn't much time for guitar practice today (immediate family visited) and it was necessary for me to get down and clean my floors to get of the salt, snow and mud that had been tracked in. Looks OK now, but I'll run the vacuum around Saturday now that family has gone home again.

The M3.5-.6 x 16mm screws did work, it just involved a little extra time to be sure things would hold. I'd like to try to do the same for the EV-1, but I think trying to line up the rubber feet with the screw wells/perforations (all 4 of these) might prove a tad difficult.

If others have tried attaching their EV-1s to their Temple boards, what size screws (designations/lengths) did you use?

UPDATE:
For any who might like to try the #6/40-⅞" or #6/40-1" hex head socket screws, I've got 20 of each I can mail out to you folks no charge. If your request is for just the FM9, FM3, FC6, FC12, I'd be more than happy to provide a set of 4 plus washers for each device you own.

First come, first serve until they're gone.

I just use 3M dual tape in the gap between the rubber feet. The 3M dual tape it’s awesome. Very strong.

Attachments

• AE380F89-EB41-48FB-9EEB-84E40E061B50.jpeg
    AE380F89-EB41-48FB-9EEB-84E40E061B50.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom