Anyone put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in a Les Paul?

Yeah I used the Super Distortion in bridge position a while ago but turned then to SD Pearly Gates (by the way the only SD-pickup I ever wanted to keep - and I played way a lot). The sound of the Super Distortion is simply fallen out of time imo.

Yeah I used the Super Distortion in bridge position a while ago but turned then to SD Pearly Gates (by the way the only SD-pickup I ever wanted to keep - and I played way a lot). The sound of the Super Distortion is simply fallen out of time imo.
The SD Jazz neck is that SD pickup for me. Loves a 250k pot and fits well in my one Tele.

The Super D in the bridge spot in my SG Special is a keeper. It is punchy and thick with good clarity, and not too loud. Lotsa louder pickups. It does "that '70s thing" like breathing. As you say, it fell out of time. The Gibbo mini humbuckers it and the Virtual P90 replaced were so overwound that the pickup swap to the Super D and Virtual P90 made the guitar both quieter and brighter, freeing top end that was just weighed down previously, and the balance between the two is amazing. The pickups they replaced were just a little dull-sounding, and stupidly high output....

I agree but my complaint is they are a total one trick pony. If I was buying Les Paul Pickups today it would be these ;
https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-throbak-sle-101-mxv.html
These do it all and back again. Get gain from your other gear and tone from you guitar.

$562 :eek: and even more for a rusted version! I would love to borrow them to compare them with one of these $35 Chinese PAF, like at this video. Last week I ordered a set of $22 (the pair) P90 from Aliexpress to compare them with my Harmonic Design Z90, just for fun. I am waiting to receive them

Last edited:
$562 :eek: and even more for the rusted version. I would love to borrow them to compare them with one of these $35 Chinese PAF, like at this video. Last week I ordered a set of $22 (the pair) P90 from Aliexpress to compare them with my Harmonic Design Z90, just for fun. I am waiting to receive them
They are worth every penny, as good or better than original Paf. I have A/B blind tested them and preferred them to real ones. They are sublime.

I have a drawer full of pickups due to reading internet posts...every time I go back to Dimarzio super distortion in the bridge. It is a VERY versatile pickup contrary to popular comments. About a year ago I swapped my push pull from coil split to parallel and that opened up a whole new tonal pallet.
They're cheap enough, buy one a solder it in and I bet you'll love it...if not you can ship it to me😎

It seemed like nearly everyone had Super Distortions in their LPs back in the 70s. It was the big thing at the time, as the whole “pickup replacement” thing was just starting then. People couldn’t wait to replace the pickups you pay big money for now! I swapped the T-Tops out of my 72 SG for Dimarzio Super II pickups then, and they worked great for what I was playing.

The Super Distortion pickup is a part of rock history. Give it a shot, it might surprise you!

It is just a numb overwound ceramic pickup that was meant to push volts out. The surprise is that anyone would still want it when there are now SOOOO many better ways of doing that ,not to mention better high output pickups if you are set on no clean sound.

I would call the Super D a mid-gain humbucker these days, and though it may be a one (or two) trick pony, it's a great trick. If it's '70s rock tone you want, it delivers it, with no apologies. Is it a frou-frou, artisinal sauerkraut sort of thing like some modern pickups? No. It's plain ol' regular sauerkraut, but it gets the job done for a lot of folks.
0526210959.jpg

Back
Top Bottom