Anyone play steel guitar ?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Curious if anyone enjoys playing either lap steel or pedal steel ?

I started with a cheap Chinese 6 strong lap steel and now own quite a few lol. Pretty cool that’s you can still obtain some 1950’s or even earlier pre WWII instruments as reasonable costs and seeing how simple they are, they typically still play great.

Haven’t jumped to a pedal steel, though I do have a b-bender tele which gives a few of those country sounds.

Overall though I more enjoy the old Western Swing style stuff on a lap of console steel. Have a 8 string which I tune to A6 and it’s quite fun to play

Also have a Asher style with humbuckers, tine that to open D and it sounds massive through a Plexi model, just a massive wall of sound and great drones and other noises, especially with the Axe delays and reverbs.

I just play with fingers, can’t get used to the tip picks, but I’ve found it makes my finger picking a lot better on my normal guitars. Ben Harper finger picks and isn’t half bad.... lol

I’ve seen MF have some cheap basic steels for like $79. Not a bad instrument to start on with, and it’s jist fun to play.

Stuff like “great gig in the sky” and other Floyd hits are really easy to learn too

I’d really suggest giving the instrument a try if you haven’t.

I play pedal steel and also some non pedal and dobro. I use my AxeFx2 for pedal steel and Ax8 for electric guitar and sometimes acoustic guitar.

It would be a blatant lie to say I 'play' pedal steel but I have a beautiful Mullen Discovery with a Telonics pickup. I noodle and experiment with chords and it does sound stunning thru my Fractal.

I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a pedal steel. I love the sound. My only fear is that I'll never come out of the basement again.

Back
Top Bottom