Anyone play a Zoom ms-50g?

Moltenmetalburn

Self-Admitted Software Thief
Wondering if this would be a decent backup for my axe2.

YES I know it pales in comparison, but I can't afford a second axe right now and don't want to spend real money as NOTHING else will actually satiate me.

That having been said is this pedal as good as the videos make it seem?

If it IS decent the price is amazing and I may throw one in my guitar case for impromptu jams and as an amp modeler backup.

I had a Zoom G3 which i think has the same engine, it sounded pretty good, but i sold it because it wasn't very convenient with only 3 switches. Having only 1 switch would be even more awkward, unless you are willing to switch with your hands while playing.
Sounds were pretty good though.

You can set up this line of Zoom pedals in a couple different ways. The pedals have presets that can chain multiple effects per preset. In one mode, you can assign a reference letter (A,B,C,D, etc.) to different presets on the main Preset list, and with each successive press of the pedal switch, it will scroll to the next preset in alphabetical order. Or, you and go into a different mode which calls up an individual effect within the preset, and pressing the switch will toggle that effect on or off (think of a chorus or distortion pedal in front of an amp). If you are creative enough, you can get yourself through a basic gig using these pedals. I have the bass version of the pedal (MS-60B) and use it for minimal grab-n-go shows. These pedals are huge bang for the buck, though, and worth exploring for an emergency backup rig, or non-critical minimalist setup. Even if you program 2 basic presets (clean/dirty) to get you out of a pinch, it is worth checking out IMHO. Completely different animal at all levels compared to the AxeFx, but still a nice little pedal for the money.

Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks guys.

I play bass also and it was the 60b that brought my attention to the 50g , I use my axe for both bass and guitar rigs.

Seems like these are no brainers as backups at those prices.

I have the ms50g as a backup. It's great, although I haven't had to use it during a gig yet. I set it up to cycle through three patches. Clean, dirt and lead. I plugged it straight into the board during soundcheck a few months ago. We were on a big outdoor stage. The Twin clean tone sounded great through the monitors and mains! Definitely happy to have such a small but useable tool just in case the Axe-fx were to die during a show.

Same as Sam, I bought a used ms50g to use as a backup and spent maybe an hour or so setting it up with three patches, clean, crunch and lead and just cycle through them. I haven’t used it with the band yet but it sounded great (for what it is) when I tried it at home. Getting a second AF2 would obviously be the ideal backup, but anything less than that and I think that it’s very hard to beat the ms50g. I found it easier and I think it sounded better than the Pod HD 500 I used to have, and it’s so small that it’s not hard to just carry in a spare pocket.

I am rescuing this old thread to share my experience with the Zoom MS50G

Last month, while I was visiting my family in Spain, my former band mates invited me to play a couple of songs with them in a gig. I could borrow a guitar but I couldn’t find an amplifier. So, after few research, I decided to buy the MS50G.

The factory presets really suck, so I programmed a couple of patches from scratch, connecting the output directly to an HI-FI player. A bluesy crunchy and a lead tone. The result was very satisfactory. I liked the tone very much.

I thought about selling it here in Thailand, because it is more expensive that in Europe, but I will keep it as a backup or to use when I have to go to a rehearsal or play without carrying much staff.

It is probably the cheapest and smallest reliable backup for the Axe-FX.

Here is a pic where you can see the MS50G on the floor during the performance. Simple and easy.

cVVT7T

Back
Top Bottom