Anyone own a Fender Bass VI or Squire Classic Vibe Bass VI

GotMetalBoy

Power User
Anyone own a Fender Bass VI or Squire Classic Vibe Bass VI? If yes, would you mind weighing it and letting me know how much it weighs? I'm thinking about buying one but the stores I've contacted only know the average shipping weight and not the average weight of the bass. I got a herniated disc in my neck in 2019, so since then I can only play guitars and basses under 7lbs or else the guitar strap irritates my neck and pinches a nerve which causes my left arm to go numb.

I just recently found out about the Bass VI when watching The Beatles documentary on Disney+. I've always played bass with my fingers because my picking hand is so used to guitar string spacing, I always miss strings when trying to play bass with a pick. The Bass VI seems like a cool concept because it's like a baritone guitar with a 30" neck and guitar string spacing but tuned down an octave like a bass, so I'd be able to play it with a pick. I can't really play a regular bass with a 34" neck since getting the herniated disc in my neck and I hate programming bass because it's too time consuming to make it sound real.

I picked up one of the Squiers. It is 8lbs 7 ounces. Great "little" bass to have around. :)
Thank you! How is its balance when playing with a strap? Does the headstock stay up? It's a little heavier than I was hoping for but if it's balanced with a strap and the headstock stays up, I think I can manage the weight.

Thank you! How is its balance when playing with a strap? Does the headstock stay up? It's a little heavier than I was hoping for but if it's balanced with a strap and the headstock stays up, I think I can manage the weight.

Yeah, it's still more in the bass category than a guitar. Bass player in a band I play in has a
Schecter 5 string and that is lighter and more ergonomic. Maybe it is me, but I feel like I am
wrestling the Bass IV a bit..... but I am not a bass player either.

With the 6 strings the neck is also wider than a 4 or 5 string bass. I still like it a lot, though. Not
sure it would work with your health issues, which sound like a bummer.

On a tangent, maybe you could avoid strapping on the bass altogether and use a special Foley stand? Then the weight isn't relevant...

I know @bradlake uses some cool stands for a similar purpose. Maybe he can provide some input if you're interested?

I bought a MBrace a while ago when you recommended it but I think the company went out of business. After waiting a few months, they never came back in stock, so I had my friend who's a carpenter build me 2 more Mbraces out of wood and I glued a Mic Stand Adapter into a block of wood to screw it onto a mic stand. I still use the MBrace stands but prefer to find light weight guitars and basses, so I don't have to use them. Also, I have 4 dogs and always worry they'll knock over the Mbrace stand.

These are the Mic Stand Adapters I used:
Amazon product ASIN B098P1527Q

Back
Top Bottom