Anyone only use one IR?

tysonlt

Power User
I have found that @2112's TV Mix 2 suits my taste and is working well for most amps I try. I get a bit overwhelmed with IR choice trying to find the 'correct' one and it has been easier sticking to just one and tweaking the amp to suit it. (I feel like I'm at a certain type of meeting.....)

I figure IR is a special type of EQ so if I find one that works predictably with our PA etc... but I wonder if it's really that simple.

Does anyone else just use one IR for everything? Am I seriously missing out by doing this? Are there 'magic' sounds that can come from IR, or does the magic all happen in the amp?

i use just one IR setup - since i'm in stereo i use 2, one for left and one for right, but same concept. there are no rules to this. but i like using the same IRs all night because as i change tones, i want a consistent sound from my guitar in the mix of the rest of the band. in my experience, changing my sound too much during the night changes the mix of the band as a whole and could put too much or too little bass suddenly in the mix.

others find great success using an IR for each Scene in many Presets during the night.

but for me, just one Cab sound the entire night works. it worked when i used real amps and one cab too.

In a full band setting I stick with just a small number of irs....3 - 4. My cleans I prefer certain irs as well as for midgain and higain situations.

In my backing track gigs (duo and trio)....I'm all over the place with irs.

@tysonlt that's spey cool that you're enjoying that IR. The beauty of a platform like the Axe-Fx is you can use as much or as little as you need to get what's you want to go.
Yes sir, thank you very much for uploading it. Your taste seems to match mine exactly, nice and bright and chewy!

I spent almost 8 years using just one factory IR for almost all my guitar presets until recently...yeah, I discovered another factory IR that I dig (which is just a different flavor of the other one) so I am going back and forth between these two, again, no matter tha amp I use.

That's with my AxeFx2 but I doubt it will change when I finally receive my AxeFx3...

PS: in the end, one of these two cabs will prevail, so I am all about using just one IR for everything (except for some very special/specialized recordings).

Last edited:
I'm still using my 2 favorite IR's from ML Sound Labs Cab Pack 7.

I've even purchased newer ML IR's, but I haven't really felt the need to improve on something that's perfect for me.

I use the same 2 IR's for every preset of mine, clean or dirty.

Still getting compliments regularly.

I’m still using V30 with dyn112 95% of the time, my presets were built upon it and don’t sound right without it.

I couldn't do just one, but I don't use a ton. I pretty much know what I like and don't have a hard time finding what I'm after. Only time I struggle is when messing with an amp/amp-type I don't have real-world experience with.

Back
Top Bottom