Anyone notice a level diff between balanced and unbalanced on out 1?

Stadanko

Inspired
I caught this while experimenting with I/O.

to isolate, I A/B'd the left out into the same input on an amp without touching any levels and the balanced is several db softer than the unbalanced on out 1. I tried different cables to verify and got the same results.

Curious:ugeek

Oh right,

I forgot about instrument vs line level.....Its been awhile. I don't usually think in those terms when it comes to guitar gear. Derrr...I feel dumb.

Thanks all!!!

When I'm not running my balanced outs to my RME FF800, I use both outputs to send to different amps simultaneously. This is so I don't have to keep switching the cables when I want a different flavor(If you have multiple amps you might as well use them). It would be cool if you could set the balanced level to -10db but oh well...I've got a gain button on my Engl tube power amp for just such a purpose. :mrgreen

I still like to run tube power amp sections with guitar cabs while using just the preamp in the Axe. I use the FF800 and full amp/cab sim for recording. I also like to ramble...go figure.

I did find post #10 a bit confusing. Jay Mitchell states that if balanced is at +18db then unbalanced is at +12db, but unbalanced is louder...hmmmmm. Also -10dbu and +4dbu are ratios not levels. Equally confusing. Mr Mitchell seemed a bit condescending in that post so I guess its time to google that one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom