Anyone not a fan of Quantum 6?

I've been having trouble getting a chunky, punchy heavy sound lately. I do a lot of of Pantera and Metallica type of palm mute stuff with plenty of gain. I haven't figured it out yet I did move my CLR's to the other side of the room.

For Pantera kind of tone, I found that Energyball works well with Q6 (with minimum sag and all the typical Dimebag settings).

Very happy with Q6. A few things needed to be tweaked, but I expected that. Personally, I think going into a new firmware release with the expectation that everything is going to sound the same is not reasonable. Not to be misunderstood here, I am not saying that the OP went into the release with unrealistic expectations. Not saying that at all. As a veteran of many releases, I expect that I am going to have to tweak a few presets, but I am always happy with the results. In some cases, I'm thrilled with the results as many of the releases have made significant improvements to an already great product. Just my $0.02.

Been struggling with it myself. The feel seems different and not so immediate, like before it was too immediate then it got better and not it's the other way...

I am very happy with this upgrade. I reset the amps on all my presets, and really love the results so far (playing solo and to backing tracks). Will see how it sits in a live mix at next rehearsal, but I am optimistic. I also tonematched against a few isolated guitar tones and got much closer / dynamic results than I have in the past.

My SLO preset, coming from Q4 to Q6 sounded a little more congested.

I checked it out in my DAW. With a very small amount of EQ it is pretty much spot on.

The changes for my preset were all in the 300-800hZ area.

upload_2016-11-22_9-55-25.png

upload_2016-11-22_9-55-49.png

upload_2016-11-22_9-56-28.png

love Q6 2.. reworked drives and distortion sound much better. Hoping for all drives to be reviewed in next version

I'm not a tone guru, but to my ears firmware updates go from tight to loose. Q6 is a loose release, which I like and think is more accurate modeling, but I don't play dropped tuning, palm muted stuff.

-cp

I'm not a tone guru, but to my ears firmware updates go from tight to loose. Q6 is a loose release, which I like and think is more accurate modeling, but I don't play dropped tuning, palm muted stuff.

-cp
I've noticed that also. There should be a tight and loose button. Haha! Perfect!

Q6 is amazing, and a very interesting and fun time to be playing in the modern guitar world as most of the major modellers
Seem to be upping their game .....gonna always be tough to top what we got

When we discuss tight vs loose ... are we talking dynamic range or response (sag?) of the feel? For me, Q6 responds better to the tone and volume knobs in a way that wasn't there on Q5.

My initial impression is that my main tones are slightly more 'in your face' and somewhat 'harsher' for want of a better description but not in a particularly bad way, just different. They have the impression of more drive or gain but I think it is more of an eq change than simply reducing the gain although I haven't had a chance to tweak them yet. I think I'll start with an amp block reset first and then look at the eq.

We went to the studio yesterday with Larry Mitchell. Shot a few IRs and did blind A/B comparisons between several real amps and their corresponding models. We'd set the knobs on the amps and then set the model's knobs to the same position. Even I was surprised at the accuracy. Perhaps Larry will chime in...

Back
Top Bottom