Anyone not a fan of Quantum 6?

I figured that was it. Like I said the preamp modeling in 6.00 is the same as 5.xx except the parameters for the default tube type (12AX7A SYL) are different. The Sylvania 12AX7A is more nonlinear than other 12AX7As which results in more dynamics but will also result in more "background" distortion because the waveform is being distorted even when it isn't being clipped. The JJ version is more linear which will result in a tighter tone and less background distortion but less dynamics.

For 6.01 I've also added back the old 12AX7B type which is the most linear of the types and clips hard. People who play with lots of gain tend to like this as it results in tighter tone and more aggressive harmonic content.

There are two primary parameters associated with our preamp tube models. "Preamp Hardness" determines how abrupt the tube clips when it enters the saturation region. There is another parameter that determines how nonlinear the tube is between cutoff and saturation. This is currently not exposed to the user but I've been contemplating adding it.

I've also changed the default type for British amps to the ECC83 model as these amps typically were equipped with ECC83s (duh). The ECC83 was the European equivalent of the 12AX7A and tended to be a bit more linear and clip a little harder.

Great info.

If there are extremes to the nonlinear control that are not available to us without the control I would look forward to its implementation if you decide to make it accessible.

I've also changed the default type for British amps to the ECC83 model as these amps typically were equipped with ECC83s (duh). The ECC83 was the European equivalent of the 12AX7A and tended to be a bit more linear and clip a little harder.
Thanks! I opened a wish thread about this a few months ago ;)

I figured that was it. Like I said the preamp modeling in 6.00 is the same as 5.xx except the parameters for the default tube type (12AX7A SYL) are different. The Sylvania 12AX7A is more nonlinear than other 12AX7As which results in more dynamics but will also result in more "background" distortion because the waveform is being distorted even when it isn't being clipped. The JJ version is more linear which will result in a tighter tone and less background distortion but less dynamics.

For 6.01 I've also added back the old 12AX7B type which is the most linear of the types and clips hard. People who play with lots of gain tend to like this as it results in tighter tone and more aggressive harmonic content.

There are two primary parameters associated with our preamp tube models. "Preamp Hardness" determines how abrupt the tube clips when it enters the saturation region. There is another parameter that determines how nonlinear the tube is between cutoff and saturation. This is currently not exposed to the user but I've been contemplating adding it.

Cliff, the 4.01 beta modeled the first 2 Channels of The Hook - Amp was the best Firmware for me... crazy good! - 5.0 - 5.03 und 6.0 are not the same with the Hook - AMP - i don`t know what ;)happened?

Cliff, the 4.01 beta modeled the first 2 Channels of The Hook - Amp was the best Firmware for me... crazy good! - 5.0 - 5.03 und 6.0 are not the same with the Hook - AMP - i don`t know what ;)happened?

Then use that firmware. I can't be constantly chasing one person's idea of ultimate tone. FWIW, the modeling changes from 4.01 beta on have almost no effect on those models because they don't use cathode followers.

[EDIT]: I just checked and that model is identical between 4.01 and 5.xx. So I don't know what you think you are hearing. And the only difference between 4.01 and 6.00 is the power amp modeling which doesn't really have much effect on Master Volume amps (such as this).

Last edited:

This sounds like it's worthy of a Tech Note. Changing the preamp tubes seems to make a huge difference and also shuts lots of people up, it seems.

I like everything you say here including exposing the parameters, I prefer the high gain benefits of the quantum 5 preamp types/modes.

Then use that firmware. I can't be constantly chasing one person's idea of ultimate tone. FWIW, the modeling changes from 4.01 beta on have almost no effect on those models because they don't use cathode followers.

[EDIT]: I just checked and that model is identical between 4.01 and 5.xx. So I don't know what you think you are hearing. And the only difference between 4.01 and 6.00 is the power amp modeling which doesn't really have much effect on Master Volume amps (such as this).
;)
Maybe this and some more tweaks?

From a member: Predikament

i just went from 4.01b to 5.00b and noticed a significant volume & gain increase between the two FW's.

Fwiw...
To get 5 to sound like 4 I just had to reduce Input Trim from 1.000 to 0.100 & reduce preamp bias from .120 to .100
And bring the Harmonics back to 0.

Last edited:
I have tried switching preamp tubes before. Could never tell that much difference prior to this time.

I think you just have to try out the tubes and find what works best with each patch, I like the 12AX7A Syl more with some patches and the 12AX7A JJ more with others. I also like to fine tune the Preamp Bias and Hardness after selecting the tube to get it perfect.

Cliff, I love that you are on here interacting with us and I hope you never stop. I know that whatever you decide to change, modify or just leave as is will be a good decision. I have faith in your abilities. I hope you have a wonderful holiday, now go enjoy your time with family and don't eat too much!

Cliff, I love that you are on here interacting with us and I hope you never stop. I know that whatever you decide to change, modify or just leave as is will be a good decision. I have faith in your abilities. I hope you have a wonderful holiday, now go enjoy your time with family and don't eat too much!

"and don't eat too much!":D

Very true... That said seeing that were comparing amps into miked cabs... The amount of filters/eqs in firm if mic(s), pres, etc... Act as an equalizing device...
Someone like yourself with extensive professional experience and all the vintage gear you have access to can make the difference. But do average players like myself and most of the user base need to be so concerned about minor/major changes in the FW? I think alot of the discussion in this thread reveals all the pressure and needless nick picking that Cliff has to deal with can be counter productive.

;)
Maybe this and some more tweaks?

From a member: Predikament

i just went from 4.01b to 5.00b and noticed a significant volume & gain increase between the two FW's.

Fwiw...
To get 5 to sound like 4 I just had to reduce Input Trim from 1.000 to 0.100 & reduce preamp bias from .120 to .100
And bring the Harmonics back to 0.

The default value of Harmonics is zero for those models. So again, I don't really know what's going on but the models are identical. There was a mistake in 5.00b but that was fixed for the release version.

This is the last time I'm going to say this: The HOOK models are identical and did not change from 4.01 to 5.xx and only the power amp modeling changed (and only slightly) for 6.00.

....The Sylvania 12AX7A is more nonlinear than other 12AX7As which results in more dynamics but will also result in more "background" distortion because the waveform is being distorted even when it isn't being clipped. The JJ version is more linear which will result in a tighter tone and less background distortion but less dynamics.

For 6.01 I've also added back the old 12AX7B type which is the most linear of the types and clips hard. People who play with lots of gain tend to like this as it results in tighter tone and more aggressive harmonic content....

That explains why I always favored the 12AX7B (and why favor the JJ over the Sylvania). Can't wait to get it back with 6.01. :)

Back
Top Bottom