Anyone not a fan of Quantum 6?

sirus1987

Inspired
Just wondering if everyone unanimously likes it or not. I copied my main preset over to an empty slot and change the settings to quantum 6 and it did a lot of undesirable things to the tone. I use a 4 amp setup where each scene activates a different amp so its kinda like a 4 channel setup and some of the amps are very sizzley and another sounds very muffled. The only one that made a positive change was my clean sound. Maybe I need to tweak a bit more, but so far I really didnt like it.

Keep tweaking. 6 has it's own 'thing' for sure...but I think it's a dramatic leap forward. I think you'll end up loving it.

Everything fell right into place for me with all the quantum updates. Which version are you updating from?

Here is the preset Im referencing if anyone is interested. Im running the Axe into a QSC power amp and a into a marshall 4x12 with v-30s and gt-75s

Attachments

• Bogner Rig.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
Everything fell right into place for me with all the quantum updates. Which version are you updating from?
I stay pretty up to date with the firmware so Im updating from like Q5 firmware. I generally like the changes and my tone improves, but not so much with this one

Last edited:
Scenes 2 and 4 are slightly muffled because of the T808 with low Tone setting.
The Drive blocks have been changed in 5.x.

I had a minor setback on a patch: What I did was note the differences from "stock" I'd made in that patch, then built it again from scratch. I realised it sounded better with about half the the changes reapplied (and slightly) adjusted, the rest weren't necessary.

It sounds better with less tweaking... the "natural" tone is better. Take another crack! :)

I've been having trouble getting a chunky, punchy heavy sound lately. I do a lot of of Pantera and Metallica type of palm mute stuff with plenty of gain. I haven't figured it out yet I did move my CLR's to the other side of the room.

[ Obviously ] not speaking for Fractal [ or Line 6 Helix ] etc ...... buy to my ears, I think the main thing going on with modellers in the last 1 - 2 years is that the designers are now moving away from what was initially heard / perceived as tones that were too polished / smooth / un-naturally compressed / lacking bite etc..... to tones that to the greatest extent possible truly mimic a real amp.

Dont

If you still have you own favorite amp, do this

- set up your favorite clean / cruch / dirty / solo tones
- turn it up loud - to at least stage / live volume
- stand in fraont of it liek you would on stage
- then tilt / angel up the speaker so that it is hitting you diectly at your ears

When you do this, like %99.99 of live players, you will be shocked at just how raw / ugly / gritty / spitty it sounds [ all great and necessary things for great tube amps :) ]

This is where [ i belive ] Fractal [ and Helix ] is are now well and truly aiming and i might add, nailing big time.

For example, Metallica who are now using Axe for all [ ? ] their live tones .... I've not seen them live ..... by all reports, their live sound is as good, if not better than ever ..... however ..... there is no way known that their Axe signals are going to FOH without further processing ..... they will be going through great desks, EQ'd to the room with nothing but the best of rack Comps, EQ's, Para EQ's, Filters, Exciters, Rev's, Delays etc..... to create "the sound".

Ben

Last edited:
It took me 2 nights of playing with it before I found the sweet spot.

Main points:
-RESET AMPS.
-I (personally) had to cut High and low frequencies in the cab block. Big time.
-SAG which I might have had dimed had to come down....even quite a bit.

No excuses. There were a few amps that I just plain had to start again. I ran a comparison after I had done some work and found that they far exceeded my earlier efforts.

It's a major upgrade folks, you have to rethink it all again...this is the price of evolution. There is also NO shame in sticking with what has worked for you in the past.

First Off, don't ridicule me for this but I grew up playing on small solid state amps then when I got older I went to rack gear stuff like ADA and Quadraverb. I suppose I'm use to the polished kind of of sound. I think Cliff has done a wonderful job with these updates and getting a more real tube sound. I've purchased some really high end tube amp heads and while they had incredible tone, I could not get my heavy palm mute chunk out of them. I am not going to stop using my AxeFx gear but I would like to get that awesome tone of tubes with the polished tight chunk of solid state. call me crazy.

I have to mention that the preset I posted didn't have the amps reset. that was the original preset. reset the amps to hear the difference

Not that this is about Q6, but only I started doing it just yesterday.

With only amp + cab presets using passive pickups, I mostly ended up with a too dark, or too thin tone.
Yesterday, I got my guitar with active pups, and after the cab, I used a ten band GEQ (cutting the 250 - 500 bands about 3db, and 1k band at .5). After that I used a multiband compressor to control the lows, as a member suggested recently, and voila!

I found out that I also like the polished sounds. And by using EQ and compression, Q6 is my fav so far.

Back
Top Bottom