Anyone mic their SS PA and Cab?

I've done it in the past, especially on gigs/festival dates with quick changeovers. The reason being is if the FOH engineer is using a microphone mounted on a small stand, unplugging that cable and plugging into your AxeFX will change the signal from mic level to line level which could be a very big surprise for the FOH engineer.
That is a great example of when it would make sense.
Been to a few festival gigs with a shared backline cab and using the existing mic on that cab is much easier for an engineer.

I've done it in the past, especially on gigs/festival dates with quick changeovers. The reason being is if the FOH engineer is using a microphone mounted on a small stand, unplugging that cable and plugging into your AxeFX will change the signal from mic level to line level which could be a very big surprise for the FOH engineer.

Also, if they don't have a way to patch you into the snake quickly and gain stage it, your better option is to just move the mic in front of the cabinet.

I generally prefer to send the FOH signal from the AxeFX with Cab sims to have ultimate control of the sound, but there are situations, like the aforementioned where micing the cab works.
Seems like these examples would be provided backline. I'm to new to the IR world to understand it obviously..its the sound of a micd cab, yet we put another mic on that sound. I'll just stick to using a power amp and cab when no direct to FOH is available

Seems like these examples would be provided backline. I'm to new to the IR world to understand it obviously..its the sound of a micd cab, yet we put another mic on that sound. I'll just stick to using a power amp and cab when no direct to FOH is available
I don't think anyone here is agreeing we should ever put a mic on a speaker that is using an IR (which should mean it's a FRFR speaker).
When using a guitar cab, you should not be using an IR in your chain. In that case, a mic on the cab is fine.
But in that same scenario many folks use a second output on the Axe and apply an IR only to that second output, and send that to FOH (no mic)

I don't think anyone here is agreeing we should ever put a mic on a speaker that is using an IR (which should mean it's a FRFR speaker).
When using a guitar cab, you should not be using an IR in your chain. In that case, a mic on the cab is fine.
But in that same scenario many folks use a second output on the Axe and apply an IR only to that second output, and send that to FOH (no mic)
Thanks that's all I was really asking. Seems silly to ask I agree, but you never know. The original question was in reference to someone stating the house sound wouldn't accept his direct to FOH out of the back panel axe, so if you show up with an frfr speaker and he insist hes going to mic it... wow! Then what, run buy a real cab all of a sudden

One output to FRFR onstage, one to FOH. This way I can adjust either for volume, or anything else.

Thanks that's all I was really asking. Seems silly to ask I agree, but you never know. The original question was in reference to someone stating the house sound wouldn't accept his direct to FOH out of the back panel axe, so if you show up with an frfr speaker and he insist hes going to mic it... wow! Then what, run buy a real cab all of a sudden
Well yes, and they don't generally sound that good unless you get a chance to experiment with mic placement even on a "real" cab. My FRFR is not concentric cone, has 2 separate cone speakers (15" and 5") and a horn flare, so would really need at least 2 mics if they wanted them close. Every decent engineer I have worked with since my original Axe FX II has been given the choice of mono or stereo from an independently controlled direct output with IR. Those that have tried mono generally get around to asking if I can give them the other side of things too.

Liam

Last edited:

yes sometimes there's also backline cabinets with the mics already placed. More often than not they stagger the cabs on stage so they're all lined up single file. As each performer wraps their set, the cabinets are removed and the microphone(s) are just pushed to the cab behind it.

The earlier slots have the most cabinets on stage until the headliner has the full use of all the stage since every cabinet has been struck.

I think some people misunderstood my question. I was never referencing mic’ing an FRFR monitor or cab. I was asking whether those that use a SS PA and actual guitar cab (Bogner 112 cube in my case) ever just put a mic on the cab and not send a direct signal to FOH with a cab block/IR. Simply just using the preamp/poweramp modeling for your tone through a real guitar cab.

I think some people misunderstood my question. I was never referencing mic’ing an FRFR monitor or cab. I was asking whether those that use a SS PA and actual guitar cab (Bogner 112 cube in my case) ever just put a mic on the cab and not send a direct signal to FOH with a cab block/IR. Simply just using the preamp/poweramp modeling for your tone through a real guitar cab.
I actually really want to try it in order to compare a Real JP2C to the axe model.

I understood the OP, I just asked my question to piggyback vs starting another thread. And because users posted there are situations where FOH will not accept direct from AXE and your going to use a backline or mic your cab, so if your cab is FRFR would it sound like A**, so I got a yes to that question after around 13 replies, I would think micing your cab would sound good, seeing its a power amp and bogner 1x12. Rock

Communication is key. If you know you are being provided backline, let them know in advance you are XLR out to FOH. I’ve yet to get an answer of NO back. Most soundfolk are thrilled to not have to set up a mic for your cab in this case.

Back
Top Bottom