Anyone makes Effects Packs?

Its a bit hard to find something in one Thread. Maybe there could be a sub forum for effects emulations?

This is all I am saying. The forum has a place for sharing presets, why not have a place for sharing effects emulations? If people want to copy certain effects and then share the fruits of their labors, they would have a central location to post them. Then others could download and try them. No pressure, and no obligations. Just a place to share. Not sure of a good way to get around the differing platforms issue.

I’d like an updated Mother of All Effects thread. Boss CE-1, Echoplex, Binson Echorec, TC1210, etc.

Trick with things like a Echorec is that there are a lot of different sounds based on different settings.

All 4 heads active vs swell mode, the sound of just 1 Head vs head 1+2 vs head 2+3, and then how you have the tone knob set and it’s relation to the delay time, which head your using etc

I had a Dawner Prince Boonar and a CB Echorec, and I could dial in a very similar sound (swell mode on the Boonar is tricky though) for a given setting of the pedal, but if I changed the heads, changed the level of the repeats, changed the drum age setting, it would sound totally different, and there wasn’t just a one to one parameter tweak in the Axe to account for.

Essentially I could say I matched it based upon how I sent my hardware pedal, but if you used your hardware pedal differently, you’d say my settings don’t sound at all like your pedal.

If there was a way to make, say a tone knob, only affect from X freq to Y freq, it could closer match knob settings of a pedal, and have more of a 1:1 tweaking ability, but, in the Axe the knob might have twice the range, so setting it to 8 virtually doesn’t sound like setting the real deal to 8, you actually want to set the Axe between only 1-4 to match the range of 1-10, so on and so forth.

Net result is that it’s hard to match a given pedal and have it cover the same range of sounds as the hardware it’s based on. You can really only match the sound of a specific setting, and you have to hope that it’s the same settings most users would want.

Sometimes there are popular ones, like minimum gain, tone and volume at noon on a Klon, but other stuff is totally different with 10 different users liking 10 different variations of mix, depth and speed on a chorus.

But where do you go (besides doing a search) to find the settings?...A lot of people here have been willing to share these settings, so I don't think there needs to be a charge for it. Just a library of them would be nice.
So... it’s too much hassle to dig up and apply all those settings, but someone should do that work for you for free?

So... it’s too much hassle to dig up and apply all those settings, but someone should do that work for you for free?

I missed the part where I said anyone SHOULD do anything. So according to your philosophy the Mods should eliminate the Preset Exchange section of the forum too? FYI it is not something I am all that excited about since I'm not sure I would ever use it, but many people (especially new users) would probably really appreciate it. But since you don't like the idea, I suggest you not contribute anything. (Please reread my comment about no pressure or obligation.) Just a place for people to do it if so inclined.

I don’t really know if effects blocks really represent something of significant value at this point to where it wouldn’t seem a bit shady trying to “sell” them.

Like if someone takes the phaser block, tweaks the bias a bit and then sells it saying it’s a “_______” model uni-vibe. Is that really original or did they just copy the settings I’ve shared, or Yek has shared etc?

Is the “electric mistress” someone wants $10 for any different than the settings that have been already shared in past threads ?

Is any delay block setting not going to be copying off soemthing Simeon has already shared ?

For that matter, how do you protect your “intellectual property” as a creator ?

If your ‘secret’ is changing the LFO to a triangle wave, what’s to stop someone else from purposely, or accidentally, sharing the same idea in another thread ? Then it’s like “oh shoot, you just shared what I was trying to sell for a profit”.

Just seems really hard to have a product out of what is essentially just a handful of parameter settings, and most of the blocks really aren’t that deep.

I guess if someone chained together multiple blocks in a unique way it could have a little more substance, but blocks alone.... I don’t know

I agree with you, but it's really no different than selling presets. In fact, I'm not a lawyer but I think common decency is the only thing stopping me from buying all commercial presets, changing a value by .01 (or maybe not at all) and then sharing them with everyone for free. I don't know that presets are IP.

I missed the part where I said anyone SHOULD do anything....Just a place for people to do it if so inclined.
I misread your post. I thought you were suggesting that Fractal should provide such a product for free.

I had a Dawner Prince Boonar and a CB Echorec, and I could dial in a very similar sound (swell mode on the Boonar is tricky though) for a given setting of the pedal, but if I changed the heads, changed the level of the repeats, changed the drum age setting, it would sound totally different, and there wasn’t just a one to one parameter tweak in the Axe to account for.

Swell mode on the Boonar is why I still have that pedal.

The swell is basically a single tap from each head and then any delay head and number of repeats you have selected. It’s quite similar to a reverbered delay.

The multiplex delay can do something quite similar, and then lots more, and the multi-tap delay can be set up with “heads” at 75/150/225/310ms, or longer if you dial in subdivisions instead of ms. Or you could set up multiple delay blocks in parallel and/or....

Essentially lots of ways to produce the effect, just a bit time consuming to really get an exact setting. I’ve played around a bit and gotten things really close, but haven’t saved anything, as it’s not quite perfect enough, and I’m not sure the ways I’ve done it are the best way. I need to spend some time with the multiplex delay as that does some really cool ambient reverb type sounds so should be well suited.

Of course cool thing about doing it in the Axe and not the pedal is you can have tap tempo for those cool rhythmic delay patters, which none of the pedals or the real unit ever offered

Probably one of the trickier pedals to match though, as the preamp does color the tone and attacks of the repeats a little. Might need a modifier linked to envelop to get some more dynamics.

On the pedals (I’ve never played the real thing) you can play more staccato and get more of a defined percussive repeat, but playing softly it’s a bit more of an ambient softer repeat. Pretty cool stuff, but I don’t doubt it can be achieved.

As for me, I found with the pedal, I just didn’t use it that much, just for a few Gilmour sounds, and mostly used other stuff for his later tones anyways. Cool pedal, but wasn’t seeing $350 worth of usage.

Tried the Echorec by Catalonbread as well and after the Boonar it just felt so dark, dull and dead.

I going to try emulating the boonar. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I’m a perfectionist, and I know people much more talented on the Fractal have tried.

I have pulled the trigger on a Boonar right now, on ebay. Waiting deliver from Australia to Bangkok.

I think that $270 was a good price. I can resell it for more here, if I ever manage to clone it on the Axe-FX or if I get tired of it

well... to get the ball rolling - here are the amp blocks from a bunch of factory presets that I cherry picked... named with the orig preset.

Attachments

• FactoryAmplifierBlocks.zip
    77.1 KB · Views: 17
I took the stock reverbs... set them at 100%mix for a sidechain (this is just how I like to do it... many ways) but basically filled in the 4 channels with all the 'like' reverbs. It's sort of utility as when I add reverb to a preset, if I add spring for instance, I get small/med/lrg in A/B/C and something else I like in D. I have a bunch more reverbs that I've snagged from presets but I don't want to step on any toes.

Attachments

• MVReverbBlocks.zip
    5 KB · Views: 15
couple of peq blocks... basically 4 eqs setup to give me progressively more blocking on the lows/highs... and some with differing mids valley.

Attachments

• MVPEQGtrBlocking.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom