Anyone looking forward to TC Electronic’s Plethora X5?

i don't need it, but i like that concept a lot. only one knob per slot, so i'm curious how you actually dial it in. but cool.

I think you have to use a phone.

Looks like a dumbed down competitor to the Boss MS-3 (fewer features, no on-board editing, but a really nice screen)....

Hadn't heard of it - makes sense cool idea there.
Honestly, I have been so thrilled with the fractal world the other stuff just doesn't interest me as much anymore.

Agreed with other stuff not interesting me so much anymore (except 13pin/synth stuff)

BUT I saw this earlier today and thought it was the coolest thing! If I didn't live in the Fractal Audio world I'd DEFINITELY get one of these!

A+ for great concept and taking the progression of pedals and pedalboards to a whole new level!

Could this make traditional pedals and pedalboards obsolete?

Nah, people who like pedals and pedal boards tend to hate all digital stuff. But this looks like it will make for a great backup board. Kinda like the Tech21 Flyrig, only infinitely customizable.

i don't need it, but i like that concept a lot. only one knob per slot, so i'm curious how you actually dial it in. but cool.

Once its dialed it I usually don't need any knobs any more.

Hadn't heard of it - makes sense cool idea there.
Honestly, I have been so thrilled with the fractal world the other stuff just doesn't interest me as much anymore.

I have that too. When I still had a traditional pedal board there was something new and shiny in pedal land every week. Now that I use the Axe-FX I'm going that sounds cool, but......, I don't use pedals any more, plus my Axe could probably do something like that. So meh. Saves me so much money on pedal GAS that I can now sink into guitar building GAS.

I never want to use hardware that doesn't work by itself but requires some other hardware that might become obsolete one day. That app won't be supported forever and one day won't run on the latest OS version anymore. No thanks!

I never want to use hardware that doesn't work by itself but requires some other hardware that might become obsolete one day. That app won't be supported forever and one day won't run on the latest OS version anymore. No thanks!

and we all are still playing ultras too. ;) Digital guys tend to move on as evidenced by everyone.

I think it’s awesome, nothing like it on the market.

At some point the Fractal apps we have today won't run on current os and/or hardware either, that's already happening. At some point you have to either freeze your entire computer system in its current state, upgrade everything, or use only standalone hardware, nothing on the computer. I edit mostly on the front panel, but the utilities are great to have.

True, BUT all Fractal units can be used without those applications! Are there any limitations to the front panel compared to Axe-Edit? Loading IRs can be done - at least with the Axe I, Axe II and afaik the AX8 - in a standardized way through MIDI, which makes us independent of Fractal Software. E.g. Fractalbot isn't required and tbh I don't use it and never really have. I even still load new firmwares onto my II with a simple MIDI software. Even backups work without Fractalbot.

It's true that we always depend on other hardware, even the Kemper needs a USB stick to load stuff from outside (iirc). USB might become obsolete one day, before that the downwards compatibility might get removed, so newer sticks couldn't work anymore. And what filesystem can the Kemper read? Only FAT32 I guess. Good luck formatting a stick with that already today on Win10 ;)

As long as standard ports (e.g. USB) and protocols (e.g. MIDI) are being used, we are pretty safe at least for the near future. But being dependent on some app?! I have not looked into it, but I'm very confident they don't use any kind of standard protocol for the communication between the app and that X5.

You can't currently configure the quick access screens from the unit itself, has to be done in Axe-Edit I think. That's the only thing I'm aware of that isn't accessable from the front panel.

From TC site:
  • MASH technology turns all 5 footswitches into expression controllers with customizable mapping
Pressure sensitive expression footswitch? That's pretty cool! News to me but apparently this is on older TC pedals.. any of you tried it?

So the recently announced Neural QC thing will have footswitches that double as control knobs/rotary encoders. Line 6 has capacitive touch footswitches that take you direct into relevant sub-menus via finger touch. Seems to me all this tech could be combined into a single footswitch.

Pretty cool! I like the streamlined layout. I have a few Toneprint pedals (Corona Chorus, Hall of Fame Reverb, Transition (Flashback) Delay) and like how they sound. This could be a replacement for all three of those.

From TC site:
  • MASH technology turns all 5 footswitches into expression controllers with customizable mapping
Pressure sensitive expression footswitch? That's pretty cool! News to me but apparently this is on older TC pedals.. any of you tried it?

Check out the SoftStep for the ultimate in expression foot switches.

Interesting pedal. TC makes great stuff.
Before switching to a Fractal rig I used the G-system and EVH halfstack's for about 7 years. And before that a G-Force and Ground Control Pro.
I've definitely become spoiled on hitting one button and have it do a zillion things! 🤣

I'm still analyzing the concept and I think what it is is no more using separate pedals instead the pedals are digitize within one system, right?

I'm sure it's still cheaper than buying individual pedals...

Pretty cool! I like the streamlined layout. I have a few Toneprint pedals (Corona Chorus, Hall of Fame Reverb, Transition (Flashback) Delay) and like how they sound. This could be a replacement for all three of those.

Back
Top Bottom