Anyone knows what processor/DSP is used in the AX8?

Allan

I don't know if Cliff will (or if he can, with all these NDA things) disclose what processor it uses (as he did say the standard Axe-FX II used dual TigerSHARC's), but he did say that the FX8 and the AX8 used the same chip, with the difference that the AX8 haves two of them, one dedicated for effects and another for the amp. But the AX8 can only run one amp at a time, and thus have two lower-powered processor than the Axe-FX II.

Maybe a lower-grade TigerSHARC? or a better version of the 'standard' SHARC? I doubt it's a Line-6 grade SHARC.

Yes, i know it doesn't made a difference in tone, because it's all on how the power is used. But my nerdier side loves to knows what it's packed on these little magical boxes.

I don't know if Cliff will (or if he can, with all these NDA things) disclose what processor it uses (as he did say the standard Axe-FX II used dual TigerSHARC's), but he did say that the FX8 and the AX8 used the same chip, with the difference that the AX8 haves two of them, one dedicated for effects and another for the amp. But the AX8 can only run one amp at a time, and thus have two lower-powered processor than the Axe-FX II.

Maybe a lower-grade TigerSHARC? or an the more 'standard' but an higher-end version SHARC? I doubt it's a Line-6 grade SHARC.

Yes, i know it doesn't made a difference in tone, because it's all on how the power is used. But my nerdier side loves to knows what it's packed on these little magical boxes.
Two dual-core 450 MHz ADSP-21469s and two microcontrollers. One is dedicated to amp modeling, the other to effects and housekeeping.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AX8_amp_modeling_and_multi-fx_pedalboard

Ohhhh thanks! Not as brutal as a TigerSHARC (the SHARC ADSP-21469 cost around $25 por chip, instead of $250 on a ADSP-TS201 TigerSHARC), but well, the TS is an somewhat old chip, not updated anymore, aging. It's possible that the latest generation of the SHARC line was powerful enough for the AX8, especially since it has lots of accelerators for common audio-related operations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom