Anyone know where to get a good Jimmy Page Les Paul tone?

EricP1954

Experienced
Paid or free, I need a good Jimmy Page Les Paul preset (i.e. The Ocean or Immigrant Song) for a recording project. If you have one or know of one, I'd appreciate it, or a source for Led Zeppelin multitracks. Thanks.

Last edited:
You might want to try the SuperTweed model. My understanding is that it was created to try to capture that sort of tone.

You might want to try the SuperTweed model. My understanding is that it was created to try to capture that sort of tone.

Thanks, I'll try that, but the guy in this video nails the tone on a Marshall Plexi with an Apollo Twin interface and a dial-up Plexi, I was surprised at how close he got.

Last edited:
Something else to keep in mind.
Jimmy kept the pickup selector in the middle position on his Les Pauls.
And rode the volume knobs for the pickups.
Big part of the sound, blending the pickups

Something else to keep in mind.
Jimmy kept the pickup selector in the middle position on his Les Pauls.
And rode the volume knobs for the pickups.
Big part of the sound, blending the pickups
Yes, and perhaps some studio EQ adjustments on Physical Graffiti and Presence, also. I just dialed The Ocean tone up on a real Fryette SigiX amp. I'm pretty sure he is in the bridge position on that tone, let me know if you disagree.

I've attached two presets a made a few years ago, one for the rhythm in Heartbreaker and the other for the solo.

I've also attached the Dancing Days patch I use in our band:
Scene 1 = verse
Scene 2 = riff (expression pedal to add quick harmony note)
Scene 3 = harmonies
Scene 4 = harmonies with some boost for the lead near the end
Scene 5 = I use this for the very end. It adds an octave harmony. I play high and the harmony is below. (Again use expression pedal to add quick harmony note). I'm not totally satisfied with this.

The Plexi50W Hi1 coupled with Factory Cab 55 gets me pretty close to Page. I remember making that preset thinking how much I was dialing back gain; he really didn't use that much.

Attachments

• Heartbreaker Solo.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Heartbreaker.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Dancing Days.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 54
Yes, and perhaps some studio EQ adjustments on Physical Graffiti and Presence, also. I just dialed The Ocean tone up on a real Fryette SigiX amp. I'm pretty sure he is in the bridge position on that tone, let me know if you disagree.

No dont disagree at all!
Didn't mean to make my last post so "finale"

I've attached two presets a made a few years ago, one for the rhythm in Heartbreaker and the other for the solo.

I've also attached the Dancing Days patch I use in our band:
Scene 1 = verse
Scene 2 = riff (expression pedal to add quick harmony note)
Scene 3 = harmonies
Scene 4 = harmonies with some boost for the lead near the end
Scene 5 = I use this for the very end. It adds an octave harmony. I play high and the harmony is below. (Again use expression pedal to add quick harmony note). I'm not totally satisfied with this.

The Plexi50W Hi1 coupled with Factory Cab 55 gets me pretty close to Page. I remember making that preset thinking how much I was dialing back gain; he really didn't use that much.
Wow, Granding, thank you!!

These presets should work out great with my Tele, and I'll keep what you said in mind about rolling off some of the gain. It's my understanding that on Dancing Days, Page was using a Danelectro DC-59 for the slide parts, but that tone was red hot!!

Jimmy used a variety of amps, guitars, and effects thru the years in the studio, and a not to distorted tone. I believe the AXE can get close to most of those sounds. Live, it was a little different.. mostly Marshall amps boosted for more wattage, and Orange amps. His electric guitars live were mainly the 59 Les Paul, Dan Electro (for DADGAD tuning) and Gibson double neck. Also his old Tele on some studio recordings... like most of the 1st album and the solo on Stairway to Heaven

Jimmy used a variety of amps, guitars, and effects thru the years in the studio, and a not to distorted tone. I believe the AXE can get close to most of those sounds. Live, it was a little different.. mostly Marshall amps boosted for more wattage, and Orange amps. His electric guitars live were mainly the 59 Les Paul, Dan Electro (for DADGAD tuning) and Gibson double neck. Also his old Tele on some studio recordings... like most of the 1st album and the solo on Stairway to Heaven
It's strictly the studio tone I'm going for, just hammering out some finishing touches on The Rain Song. I built a Danelectro out of a Variax I have for the clean electric guitar, and getting that tone took quite some doing, and now the heavy guitar in the power section, something that sounds a lot more similar to The Ocean or Immigrant Song.

Last edited:
Paid or free, I need a good Jimmy Page Les Paul preset (i.e. The Ocean or Immigrant Song) for a recording project. If you have one or know of one, I'd appreciate it, or a source for Led Zeppelin multitracks. Thanks.
here's my take on the Ocean. May have a bit more gain than needed, so you can dial it in to taste. Made on a II XL +. Cheers, Perry

Attachments

• Da Ocean.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 64
here's my take on the Ocean. May have a bit more gain than needed, so you can dial it in to taste. Made on a II XL +. Cheers, Perry
Thanks, Perry! You've nailed it as close as possible without selling my soul to the devil! :D The gain staging is perfect with my Burstbucker bridge. You even duplicated the slap-back effect with the small spring reverb setting. Really appreciate this, man!

Thanks, Perry! You've nailed it as close as possible without selling my soul to the devil! :D The gain staging is perfect with my Burstbucker bridge. You even duplicated the slap-back effect with the small spring reverb setting. Really appreciate this, man!
Glad to able to help Eric. Cheers, Perry

Back
Top Bottom