Anyone know Stock Market software (ThinkorSwim) procedures? Options Trading?

Some say recession is comming
Some say the bull market will continue
..... almost depends on who you support politically

Some say looming pandemic
Some say early spring and an end to the flu season

The gold bugs are moving into precious metals, but we haven't pushed thru resistance levels yet... so if you follow the money.. early doomsayers are shifting positions but it's not yet a hard shift.

... the economy can be weaponized during an election year and we should notice the tools.... fear being the most obvious.... imminent zombie pandemic and recessions.

best to let someone manage your money.
it can effect you and when your able to retire.
I've lost my ass more than once.

Last edited:
I (and my buddies) have dabbled in the market over 40 years...but none of us are experts. I'm retired from work last year and enjoying the benefits of my 401k, Social Security, and Pension. The best advice I can give is, while you are young, save at least 10-15% of your money and invest in few good mutual funds...then don't watch them. Take a look at Berkshire Hathaway A Stock...here's some of their holdings. Yea, a share will cost over $300k...but there are other mutual funds that have done extremely well over the years. IMHO, the market is a long term game, unless you have a lot of time and expertise. Warren Buffett is has written and recommended a few books, if you want an education from an expert.

There’s BRK-B which doesn’t cost $300K. I own a bit of that. It underperforms S&P but it’s not as turbulent when shit hits the fan.

I wound up clearing almost 1800.00 on IMGN (paper money of course) after I figured out how to sell the option. It was my first and only option trade and it had zero skill involved. I had gotten 1 free share of IMGN by signing up for Robinhood so I bought a contract for what I thought was 100 shares. As it wound up it was 10 contracts therefore 1000 shares and that's why I made a bit more.

I can easily see scams coming out of the woodwork and I consider this akin to gambling never the less it fascinates me and I intend on continuing studying until maybe sometime I might feel comfortable to try a small bit of trading with real money. My tolerance to losing money is low so it may not last too long. Just an interest. I appreciate the conversation and ideas and warnings. Please continue at will.

Pure panic it looks like. I get why eg Apple is down, but Facebook? They aren’t even available in China.

You have picked the worst time for doing this. Gold and Silver physical is the way to go. If you want options Go to Greg Manarinos website Traderschoice.net. He was doing options exclusively up till about 3 months ago. All assets are rigged including the bond market and stock market. Good luck.

Pure panic it looks like. I get why eg Apple is down, but Facebook? They aren’t even available in China.
Facebook's primary revenue source is advertising. The pandemic will cause an economic downturn. In turn companies will cut their advertising budgets.

more people will be at home.. on Facebook.. viewing advertisements

its my sentiment vs yours... per say..lol... there's a logical view in both
Facebook.... down with the ship... that's all imo

with Facebook now it's getting down to creativity.. and available space... for more advertisements... adding new users is probably secondary to a market geared towards advertising vs new users who have to pay VAT...lol.. or who are in countries where advertising has no impact... nobody in Cambodia can very easily buy samsung TV? fir a lame example

I would argue that advertising is a bunch of bs anyways... not to the mass.. but me personally
I think Busweiser beer taste like shit... seeing commercials during the superbowl... doesn't make me go out and buy the beer

Last edited:
Facebook's primary revenue source is advertising. The pandemic will cause an economic downturn. In turn companies will cut their advertising budgets.
I actually don't think it will. It'll be SARS 2.0 - the press will scaremonger it to hell and back for clicks, and then, within a couple of months, it will dwindle to basically nothing. Something like 30K people die of flu in the US alone per year and it doesn't lead to an economic downturn or anything like that. We are nowhere near even those kinds of numbers in spite China being nearly 5x the US population, and in spite of their medicine being much less advanced.

TL;DR: We've been through this before, in 2003. It was contained and there was no economic downturn. This will be contained as well. Is it dangerous? Yes. Is this a black swan event for the markets? Unlikely, though the impatient will be taken to the cleaners, as usual.

Regardless, good call on exiting the markets until the dust settles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually don't think it will. It'll be SARS 2.0 - the press will scaremonger it to hell and back for clicks, and then, within a couple of months, it will dwindle to basically nothing. Something like 30K people die of flu in the US alone per year and it doesn't lead to an economic downturn or anything like that. We are nowhere near even those kinds of numbers in spite China being nearly 5x the US population, and in spite of their medicine being much less advanced.

TL;DR: We've been through this before, in 2003. It was contained and there was no economic downturn. This will be contained as well. Is it dangerous? Yes. Is this a black swan event for the markets? Unlikely, though the impatient will be taken to the cleaners, as usual.

I wish you were right!

Infection rate has gone exponential outside China. At least 1/4 million people will be infected by end of March. Death toll will be in the tens of thousands.

I've already stocked up on N95 respirators. We're stocking up on non-perishable food items, gloves, etc. You should too.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd rather be wrong and prepared than the alternative.

Markets are up though. We're always prepared, Cliff. Chest freezer full of meat, pantry full of beans, safe full of guns and ammo, and a kegerator with 10 gallons of beer. And we have several boxes of face masks (from years ago). We'll be OK. :cool:

They say the masks filter particulate matter greater than diameter of the masks mesh membrane but wouldn't filter out 100% of a virus....N95 would filter 95% and is worn by the medical community and is used by those who have a illness to limit what can become airborne from the one wearing the respirator ...that's why a doctor wears a type of mask when they operate on you..limit thier contaminates to you
N95 is the best... which is a respirator.. not a doctor's mask..which is different

Last edited:
There's already a run on respirators. Most places I've looked they are unavailable.

I already have a number of people in our building that are wearing masks.

Not one, but two antiviral drugs have been found to work: remdesivir (by Gilead, so you know it's gonna cost an arm and a leg) and chloroquine. The latter is very cheap and common in the US (used to treat malaria, 50 cents a pill). The former is already being made in China as we speak, ignoring US patents. That's probably why the stock market is up.

I think it is important to point out that this virus is no worse that the flu. The death toll will soar because the rate will soar but it is still around 2%....The lack of population immunity is the reason its spreading so fast. The biggest worry will be that everyone is sick at once. If your going to go full quarantine on this, then what about all of the other bugs that we're constantly exposed to that carry the same threat level?

Back
Top Bottom