Anyone know how to simulate a clean 12 string

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
the cover band I recently joined is doing "ticket to ride" and I would love to be able to emulate the 12 string
part of this.
anyone?

The key thing is the IR. Ideally you want to match the sound of your neck pickup to the mic'd acoustic you want to simulate. Do you have a twelve string you can do this with?

With the IR you can build your own patch. Use six blocks: Amp, multiband compressor, graphic EQ, parametric EQ, impulse response and reverb. Working backwards through the effects. The parametric EQ is there to take out any resonance peaks. The graphic compensates for the response curve of the microphone used to make the IR. It can also reduce the low end, say below 150hz, to make the bottom E string clearer.

The multi-band compressor is there because an acoustic guitar sustains differently from an electric in different areas of the spectrum. There are no easy answers about the settings. I use a three band, divided at around 375hz and 3750hz, with compression ratios between 1.5:1 at either end, and 3:1 in the middle.

The amp is a studio pre-amp, with everything set flat.

The other thing is to add a touch of pitch detune, using two shifts at something around +8 and -8 to get that 12 string shimmer.

I unfortunately do not have a 12 string of my own and I am using the Axe in 4CM mode so no IR's, no modeling

The other thing is to add a touch of pitch detune, using two shifts at something around +8 and -8 to get that 12 string shimmer.
Good one. I often do that with a touch of chorus.

Something which often confuses people is that there are many different acoustic guitar sounds, and on recordings they are often heavily EQ'd. For example, One Republic's Counting Stars. The acoustic guitar drives the song forward, but it's a very thin sound. It works well in the song, but you'd never want to listen to it in isolation.

I unfortunately do not have a 12 string of my own and I am using the Axe in 4CM mode so no IR's, no modeling
In which case you will need to increase the upper frequencies which a normal guitar cabinet cuts. There are a couple of IRs around which do this.

yeah, i do use a bit of 12 string effect on my piezo acoustic patch. i use two pitch blocks in parallel. the first is a detune (one voice only) with the low cut at about 400hz and the second is a fixed pitch at +12 (one voice only) with the high cut at 2000hz. the idea of using the cuts is to try and make the shifts audible on the lower strings only and the detune on the higher strings only. kinda works ok if it's not mixed in too loud. remember to run parallel blocks at 100% mix.

Simeon sent this one while back...

Try my tone 4 scenes. The basis of tone blocks Yeks, Mokes and others from the forum. Cab x-gtrbody (in free publication), Cab-y from paid presets Mokes. Pedal Exp 1 - MultDly level (string sound). All claims to Google translator.

Attachments

• ACOUSTIC SIM 4 AA.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2017-07-17_180805.png
    2017-07-17_180805.png
    340 KB · Views: 115
  • 2017-07-17_180907.png
    2017-07-17_180907.png
    342.8 KB · Views: 99
yeah, i do use a bit of 12 string effect on my piezo acoustic patch. i use two pitch blocks in parallel. the first is a detune (one voice only) with the low cut at about 400hz and the second is a fixed pitch at +12 (one voice only) with the high cut at 2000hz. the idea of using the cuts is to try and make the shifts audible on the lower strings only and the detune on the higher strings only. kinda works ok if it's not mixed in too loud. remember to run parallel blocks at 100% mix.
Simeon sent this one while back...
Thanks ATR. I've tried something similar by setting each of the two blocks to be controlled to fade in by the Pitch controller instead of hi/low cuts. But it got too confusing and hard to nail... I'll have to try Simeon's method.

One thing to note......
There has been some talk of 'Acoustic' IRs and such in this thread, but the OP was asking about a 12-string (Electric) sound?

However, the 'Pitch' block advice in this thread has been solid.

you can add a bit of envelope follower to the amount of detune, to simulate the strings going slightly out of tune when you whack them hard

Try my tone 4 scenes. The basis of tone blocks Yeks, Mokes and others from the forum. Cab x-gtrbody (in free publication), Cab-y from paid presets Mokes. Pedal Exp 1 - MultDly level (string sound). All claims to Google translator.
Does @Moke allow you to share an IR from a preset he sells?

thanks guys I'll take a look at these and try the 2 Pitch blocks as mentioned above. this is for an electric in 4CM mode so o amp models or IRs, I think the 2 pitch blocks may be plenty good enough, I'll let you know :)

Back
Top Bottom