Anyone is using a head paired with a floor based multi FX?

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi all.
I'm tired of the pedal setup for my amp head (can't find a configuration I'm happy with) and thinking to go back using a digital floor based multi FX solution for FX to pair with the amp.
There are 2 limitation for the external digital unit, it must be small and include a relay so it will be able to switch channels in the amp.
Of course, the 1st thought was FX8 but it's too big.
FM3 doesn’t have relay output.
Leaving m with Line 6 FX or maybe even Line 6 HX Stomp although it's too small and not enough switches.
While HX Effects is an FX unit only the L6 stomp includes amps and cabs so 4CM could be a nice addon but anyhow it's not a must.
Anyone is using a setup like this?
Insights?

Why not a stomp + morningstar MC6?

I ran a JCM800+412 plus a Blackface reissue Twin with the FX8 for a while, no issues. If you can get accustomed to the size, that's your best bet IMO. Fits nicely on a pedaltrain PT-2.

Why not a stomp + morningstar MC6?

Couse its not what I'm after,

What I'm looking for is an FX unit to be hooked in the FX loop of an amp head and it will also control my amp channel switching.

I ran a JCM800+412 plus a Blackface reissue Twin with the FX8 for a while, no issues. If you can get accustomed to the size, that's your best bet IMO. Fits nicely on a pedaltrain PT-2.

Yes, FX8 is a option which covers all but it's too big.

Perhaps the new TC Plethora X5 with the right RJM product? Or the BOSS MS-3?
The BOSS does exactly what i nead ++
The Plethora as you mentioned doesnt have switching option but its a t.c product known for a very good guitar FX.
They both cost more or less the same as L6 HX while the L6 has the screen for every switch thing...
I should go and check these units.
Thanks.

If you don't need amp modeling, the Boss MS-3 is perfecly suited. I used it several years with the 4-cable method (until I got my FM3) - it's flexible, small, well-build and reliable (at least for me) and there is an easy to use SW editor.

Just received a Boss MS-3 to use with my bass rig. I’ll be testing it out today.
got it lightly used for less than 300 total on reverb.

If you don't need amp modeling, the Boss MS-3 is perfecly suited. I used it several years with the 4-cable method (until I got my FM3) - it's flexible, small, well-build and reliable (at least for me) and there is an easy to use SW editor.

Thanks, what do you think about the editor, is it user friendly like the Fractal AE?
What about the quality of the FX, it is after all an older unit than these days mufti FX but I wonder how was the overall sound specifically compressors, boosters, drives, distortions and reverb.

Just received a Boss MS-3 to use with my bass rig. I’ll be testing it out today.
got it lightly used for less than 300 total on reverb.

That's a good price, in less than a cost of a good pedal you get plenty more.
Would be happy to read your impression about it.
Thanks.

Thanks, what do you think about the editor, is it user friendly like the Fractal AE?
What about the quality of the FX, it is after all an older unit than these days mufti FX but I wonder how was the overall sound specifically compressors, boosters, drives, distortions and reverb.
Yes, the editor is user friendly. You can download it for free and use it in offline mode (without having the device connected). That's a good opportunity to get familiar with the capabilities and effect content of this thing before actally buing it.

As for the effects quality, I feel it is certainly not as good the Fractal stuff. But I would not describe it as bad either. But I only used the device in a high gain context to "add" a lead channel to my 1-channel amp with the 4-cable method (using drive, parametric EQ and delay - controlled via external footswitch). For my application this worked flawless a I had nothing to complain about.

However, that being said, you should definitely consider buing the FM3!!
Even though it has no amp-ctrl-out for relay-based amp channel switching, that does not matter:
You can use the FM3 with your amp and the 4-cable method. Then you can switch between presets that use either your "real" amp's own preamp or any pre-amp model that is available in the FM3. This way you can have an almost-infinity-channel setup with your amp.

The BOSS does exactly what i nead ++
The Plethora as you mentioned doesnt have switching option but its a t.c product known for a very good guitar FX.
They both cost more or less the same as L6 HX while the L6 has the screen for every switch thing...
I should go and check these units.
Thanks.
No problem. I hope you find a solution for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom