Anyone here go back to Fm3 after using the Fm9?

JPS225

Inspired
I know it sounds odd. I'm finding I don't use the extra foot switches at all. The main thing is the size, I really miss the size of the Fm3. The hard part is losing the DSP, especially the Reverb chip. However, I don't recall running into any DSP limits on the Fm3, other than having to set the reverb's do economy. Anyone make the move back, and why?

Great question. My name came up pretty early on the FM9 waitlist but I held off due to the form factor. If i never had the FM3 I would probably think the FM9 format was necessary, but since having the FM3 I have found the form factor is just right! Now, if they release one sometime down the road with double the processing power, I would be interested! But I get by pretty well with the FM3's limits, I don't think I have hit a roadblock of "Oh man, I can't even get close to that sound with this system" I do also use an MC6 for additional switches, but it still takes way less space than FM3/FC6 or FM9.

I almost went for an FM9 but decided to get the FC6 for extra buttons with the FM3 I already have. Happy with that choice and I like that I can still have a small footprint when I want it. I don’t use reverb live much so I’m not missing the extra dsp.

I'm still on the fence about the switch. My name came up a while ago and I held off. I really do like the idea of the extra DSP (I'll definitely use it) and having more button options. Additionally, I would love to run at least two expression pedals (with the FM3, I eat up one of my pedal jacks with my Mosky, so only have one expression pedal). If I do go to the FM9, I'm for sure hanging onto my FM3 as a gig back-up.

My main hesitation at this point is that I've got everything pretty dialed with my FM3. I have it on a PedalTrain Classic with a EV-5 and the Mosky. I use an external passive volume pedal and carry the whole set-up with cables on my shoulder in the soft case. Going to the FM9 will probably mean carrying the FM9 in one bag and a separate pedal board with my expression pedals.

Anyway, still on the fence myself.

I had 2 FM3s I was running in a tandem wet/dry config. I assumed I could move on
from both of these and just have the single FM9. I assumed wrongly. :)

I did purchase the FM9. I was all set too use it and implement it into my setup. Quickly,
though, I found that I just like the form factor of the FM3 more. It can more than handle
what I need from it, so DSP is not an issue. It fits on my desk. It fits on my pedalboard. It fits
into my gig bag for taking to rehearsals. I love the cute, little bastards!!! :)

Quickly,
though, I found that I just like the form factor of the FM3 more. It can more than handle
what I need from it, so DSP is not an issue. It fits on my desk. It fits on my pedalboard. It fits
into my gig bag for taking to rehearsals. I love the cute, little bastards!!! :)
Those are exactly the things I love about the FM3 form factor. I do still wish Fractal would release a "FM0" with FM9 DSP but no switches, slightly smaller than FM3.

Those are exactly the things I love about the FM3 form factor. I do still wish Fractal would release a "FM0" with FM9 DSP but no switches, slightly smaller than FM3.
I thought the same, give me the unit with a screen then I’ll pick a midi control of my own. It would also be sweet to get the unit blank and have an online gear room to fill it with what you want

I had 2 FM3s I was running in a tandem wet/dry config. I assumed I could move on
from both of these and just have the single FM9. I assumed wrongly. :)

I did purchase the FM9. I was all set too use it and implement it into my setup. Quickly,

So what happened to your FM9 - do you find you don't use it after all?

It's quite funny reading some of these threads discussing the form factor difference between the FM3 and FM9. When you consider what people used to haul around for just a local live gig, and now we're talking about the difference between just those two units. Clearly the small size of the FM3 has spoilt a lot of people! Surely though, the only reason to favour the smaller unit now, is if you are literally gigging with it all the time and it's easy to transport?

What put me on the fence was the prospect of getting an FM3 along with the FC6, which by that point is the same sort of footprint as an FM9 anyway so might as well buy the FM9 and have the extra power. Then the FM3 became attractive again because you can't get and FM9 doh!

I prefer the size of the FM3. The thing I will say the 9 would be better for (beyond the obvious more power, more switches, more everything aspect) is having an amp you can optimize for FOH and and amp you can send to a real power amp and cab onstage. As dumb as that may sound. I don't want to mic anything I don't have to. I find myself having a lot of "what if I do this's" in relation to a tube power amp and guitar cab for monitoring that this ability would render moot.

Going with a FM3 Mk2 or FM3 Turbo would be a lot better though. A FM0 + FC6 is basically again the FM9.

So what happened to your FM9 - do you find you don't use it after all?

It's quite funny reading some of these threads discussing the form factor difference between the FM3 and FM9. When you consider what people used to haul around for just a local live gig, and now we're talking about the difference between just those two units. Clearly the small size of the FM3 has spoilt a lot of people! Surely though, the only reason to favour the smaller unit now, is if you are literally gigging with it all the time and it's easy to transport?

What put me on the fence was the prospect of getting an FM3 along with the FC6, which by that point is the same sort of footprint as an FM9 anyway so might as well buy the FM9 and have the extra power. Then the FM3 became attractive again because you can't get and FM9 doh!

I find prefer the independent footswitch options of 2 distinct FM3s running independently
over the FM9.

I run the FM3s in a wet/dry config and can easily run it in a wet/wet setup or a dry/dry. The
versatility and options are inspiring. Perfect setup. For me. :)

I do not have an FM9 - I have an FM3. Like others, I am on the waitlist for the FM9. I was holding out hope the pitch block on the FM3 would be updated, so - I'm still on the fence. Realistically, at this point I don't need the updated Pitch Block, so I'll probably stick with the FM3 because of the form factor. But I'm waiting to decide until I get the purchase invite.

Yeah, I'm on the waitlist for the 9, and intended to jump on it until right now. After just reading about the 5.0 update, I'm in!

I have both. I leave the 3 setup to practice at home and I carry the 9 to gig with. I like the 9 better because of convenience but the 3 I use more for practice.

No, but I initially wanted the FM9 but then realised that I love the portability of the FM3 and never use more than 3 switches even on my real amp + pedals setup 😁

I tried a friend's FM9....it's amazing, but too many buttons for my live needs.
Bought the FM3 and fell in love.

Back
Top Bottom