anyone here don't keep their modeling mode at "authentic"

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
and if you do, what sort of amps do you deviate from it (clean or mid gain or hi gain)?
just curious if this feature is used much.

I was one of those who found the jump from FW9 to 10 (or was it 11?) quite a shock to the system having found comfort and succor in the creamy smooth tones the AxeFX provided up to that point. When Cliff provided us with the different modes I was mighty relieved thinking I could have the best of both worlds.

The thing is, the more I used authentic mode the less I actually liked the smooth/ideal ones, I started to prefer the way the authentic mode reacted more dynamically to my playing and sounded more 'real' and alive, conversely the ideal/smooth modes had less feel and sounded rather flat and unresponsive. I guess Cliff knew that all along but had to nudge some of us gently down that path rather than drag us kicking and screaming. Clever really. Having said like I still like the option being there like a little safety blanket.

So the answer to your question is no, .........eventually!

High gain - never, I've had grid modelling off since I understood what it did.

I've hated "hairy" distortion from day one and that's why I moved away from tubes. While I KNOW the Axe FX emulates tubes it allows for much more tone shaping that a regular head and ominous amount of pedals could ever do, imo. The tones that I aim for are unrealistically smooth, mastered, album tones though ... this will obviously not appeal to the players out there looking for a Marshall crunch sound.

Definitely do NOT nuke.

Last edited:
I have no current use for it as I tend to prefer old school tube amps and their idiosyncrasies and imperfections. That said I prefer that all advanced parameters be left in place and welcome more as Cliff chooses to expose them to users. I'd rather the "Authentic" switch remain part of the advanced parameter set in the Amp block.

I've hated "hairy" distortion from day one and that's why I moved away from tubes. While I KNOW the Axe FX emulates tubes it allows allows for much more tone shaping that a regular head and ominous amount of pedals could ever do, imo. The tones that I aim for are unrealistically smooth, mastered, album tones though ... this will obviously not appeal to the players out there looking for a Marshall crunch sound.

Definitely do NOT nuke.

I really don't understand your opinion at all... hairy distortion??? what the hell is that?

I played through 14.02 last night on a patch I last used with 14.01 over the weekend. I noticed it sounded fizzy-er.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Tube amps all generate some amount of "blocking distortion" which could be described as "hairy".

Ok...so i searched the Blocking Distortion term and most of its description and dealing with is too technical for my head right now ( Too much nitro lacquer smelling refinishing a Les Paul...). But i did not read the term Fizz associated with it, is it A.K.A Fizz?

I've hated "hairy" distortion from day one and that's why I moved away from tubes. While I KNOW the Axe FX emulates tubes it allows allows for much more tone shaping that a regular head and ominous amount of pedals could ever do, imo. The tones that I aim for are unrealistically smooth, mastered, album tones though ... this will obviously not appeal to the players out there looking for a Marshall crunch sound.

Definitely do NOT nuke.

Grid Modelling? How does it affect your high gain patches?

Definitely do NOT nuke.

interesting..
i have pretty much left the modeling mode default at "authentic" ever since the feature was first introduced.
i was just messing with it the other day and reaslised that setting it to "smooth/ideal" gave me a slightly more pleasing rounder (for lack of a better word) tone, which i kind of like. i wonder if this meant i would have preferred the tones from the pre-mimic days.
in any case, i'm glad the tonal option is available and wanted to know if anyone else had gone that route.

Since 14 lots more hiss and noise. The whole noise gait thing has thrown me off. I've turned it back globally to near zero but it still has me wondering if something else changed.

I feel like my sustain is choking more when noise is improved. More so than prior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone got a clip of hairy distortion handy :D

EDIT: its not the "SHHHHHH" sound is it?

Exactly that ... Like the sound of frying bacon always "underneath" your guitar tone, sounds horrible to my ears.

Grid Modelling? How does it affect your high gain patches?

It makes them less fizzy, that shit could take your head off at high volumes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom