Anyone have squeal on some patches but not others?

wknight2

Inspired
Decided to try some new lead patches. Normally, I can control squeal by keeping my hand on the strings. With these 2 patches, TDR Cornford and So Many Roads, nothing I do keeps it in check. I tried changing settings on the gate, but eventually the gate is so strong I lose dynamics and bloom.
I attached those 2 patches (in bundle format) as well as a lead patch (Juicy lead) that works fine for me.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated!
(note: Latest Axe FX II Mod 1 firmware, latest MFC Mod 1 firmware, and powered Atomic CLR)

View attachment TDR Cornford Lead.syxView attachment So Many Roads.syxView attachment Juicy Lead.syx

First, let's define "squeal."

Are you talking about the kind of feedback you'd get from a real tube amp when you're playing at volume, or a high-pitched, non-musical squeal?

Sounds like your gain staging is wrong, you shouldn't get any squeal at all, unless your sitting on top
of your cab at gig level. Check your input level first and then think input to output. Input should be
unity and then add gain with the amp etc... If it helps, I always start with a clean tone of high gain amp
make sure tone is good and volume, then crank the gain to desired level.

Its the high-pitched, non-musical.
First, let's define "squeal."

Are you talking about the kind of feedback you'd get from a real tube amp when you're playing at volume, or a high-pitched, non-musical squeal?

TDR Cornford was a Fremen preset, I should drop him a line. So Many Roads is an Axe preset. If no-one else has problems with that particular preset having unmusical squealing, it must be something with my rig. But most other presets are fine. Its just the occasional preset, like these meant for lead, that have more gain.

Sounds like your gain staging is wrong, you shouldn't get any squeal at all, unless your sitting on top
of your cab at gig level. Check your input level first and then think input to output. Input should be
unity and then add gain with the amp etc... If it helps, I always start with a clean tone of high gain amp
make sure tone is good and volume, then crank the gain to desired level.

Its the high-pitched, non-musical.
It could be "tweeter squeal." Your pickups can interact magnetically with the tweeter in a FRFR speaker, causing feedback. It tends to rear its head when you're running with high gain, and your guitar is physically close to the tweeter. It can also be caused by microphonic pickups. See whether you have the problem with other guitars.

The solution is lowering your gain, backing away from your monitor, or using pickups that aren't microphonic.

Thanks Rex, it looks like the problem is much worse when the guitar faces a monitor. If I turn away from all of them, its manageable.

It could be "tweeter squeal." Your pickups can interact magnetically with the tweeter in a FRFR speaker, causing feedback. It tends to rear its head when you're running with high gain, and your guitar is physically close to the tweeter. It can also be caused by microphonic pickups. See whether you have the problem with other guitars.

The solution is lowering your gain, backing away from your monitor, or using pickups that aren't microphonic.

Thanks Rex, it looks like the problem is much worse when the guitar faces a monitor. If I turn away from all of them, its manageable.
You're welcome.

I've found that the problem is usually manageable—there's a distance at which I get no tweeter squeal, but still plenty of good old "tasty" feedback.

Back
Top Bottom