Anyone have experience with New PRS Paul's guitar or New PRS 35th anniversary custom 24??

A buddy's PG compared quite favourably to his wildwood 10 strat. And he's had some real nice pieces for comparison.

I wouldnt hesitate.

I have the 35th Anniversary Custom 24 and I like it a lot. The single coil tones are very Strat-like (at least compared to my other PRS guitars). It's a super flexible instrument, a really good all-arounder.

Last edited:
Looking at both. Intrigued by the true single coil option on the and the TCI pickups?
All smoke or real deal?
I bought in January a used Paul's Guitar from 2014 and there is a hard competition between this guitar and my McCarty 594 for playing time. For Humbucker sound it's McCarty and for single coil Paul's guitar. The rest of my guitars have mostly free time...

Semi OT, and not that I can afford one, but I watched some demos of the Special, and didn't think the 2 and 4 positions were much like they are on a strat, disappointing. On paper, that might be my perfect guitar, but it just didn't sound right to me. I should play one on the flesh.

I have the 2018 edition. It's a wonderful guitar, and built better than the Suhr GG I once had. The neck is perfect. In humbucker position, the pickups are quite dark. When split, they are very bright. They don't sound like a Strat though, IMHO.

Think I have settled on Paul's guitar. A lot of coin though. Doing that last bit of soul searching and taking stock of my gear and any shortcomings before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for responses and insights.

Yek , did you get the Paul or the 24?

Today I got to play three related guitars:
SE Paul's Guitar
SE Custom 24-08
SE Custom 22 hollowbody

This was Guitar Center, so they were somewhat neglected, in particular the old strings on the PG were quite literally a drag. Played through an AC30, pretty quiet.

I definitely liked the PG the least, tones and neck. It was the first I tried, made me glad I hadn't just remote-purchased one. Neck just didn't suit me, at the time I couldn't put my finger on why.

24-08 felt a lot better to play, thinner and maybe wider neck. Not a lot, but enough to matter. Sounded better to me too, even though I thought those were the same pickups.

The Custom 22 hollow was nice too, different tone flavor. Wouldn't mind if one of these and a 24-08 followed me home.

None of them blew me away, they're inexpensive instruments, but all except the PG were probably something I'd be pretty happy with.

I have a 2021 Paul’s Guitar with the TCI pickups. It’s beautiful and sounds fabulous. P90 and more traditional SC tones are legit. The pattern neck is very comfortable, a bit chunky. I love this guitar.

Great tones but they don't sound like a good fender.
SEs are good for the money but don't count as PRS IMO.

Yeah. Definitely not a Fender replacement. It’s something different entirely. Both tone and feel. But, I also haven’t reached for my Fender in a long time since getting this guitar.

Back
Top Bottom