Anyone have experience using the acme b2 as an FRFR for axe fx ?

teamSKDM

hey guys ive been reading about the acme b2 and many times do people call these full range and suitable for use as PA monitors and even recording studio monitors. how do the high and mid frequency attenuators work or contibute to achieving a "true" or "flat" sound? if i hooked up my axe fx via a power amp to the acme b2 will the same sound come out as you would hear from going axe fx direct to a venues PA or front of house monitors? can they hold their own against other guitar based FRFR and active PA monitor solutions or will the b2 still be too colored and untrue as a "bass" cabinet?

heres some interesting lines taken directly from the b2 manuals.

" Model: Acme Low B-2 Series III Frequency response: +/-3 dB 41Hz to 22 kHz -6 dB at 31 Hz Power Handling: 350 Watts RMS continuous Recommended Power: 400-500 watts "
"Dimensions: 23"H x 15.75"W x 16.5"D Weight: 50 lbs/23 kg "

"A pair makes a very loud, versatile and compact rig. Stack them end on end for amazing dispersion and clarity or side by side for enormous kick. Use them as a high quality PA. For those occasions where true bass response is paramount, monitor your recordings with them. They really are that 'HiFi'! And the entire rig will still fit on the back seat of your compact hatch. "

"I'm writing today to tell you how good they sound as PA speakers. I'm sure you already know this but people comment everywhere we play on the quality of our PA and I always credit the Low B-2s and sell the heck out of them. Thanks for a great product!" Bill Armstrong

"Interestingly, the extended high end of our midrange driver made it possible to add an excellent tweeter at a low enough cost to make the Low B an outstanding full-range system, comparable in performance to studio monitors. The Low B-2 has been proven to be excellent for use as a PA speaker in smaller rooms and when very clean reproduction is important, as when amplifying acoustic instruments. The addition of this quality European tweeter is one of the unique things about the Low B-2 and Low B-4 systems. What was a very good bass guitar speaker has become an outstanding all purpose/bass/ keyboard/PA. It is a better hi-fi speaker than many commercial stereo rigs, and nearly as true as some popular studio monitors. "

it's a bass guitar cabinet. it was designed to focus on low end.

bass amps and cabs are typically "full range" but they can still focus on certain areas. guitar usually gets a lot of bass cut out, so you'll be fighting this.

if you have these already, you could probably make it work. if you are planning on getting them, i wouldn't use this for guitar because they are for bass.

with the announcement of the laney lfr212 im no longer considering the b2 for FRFR even though im sure it could do the job.

these speakers are great. i use them. and when i plug my bass send into the PA the sound guy doesn't have to eq my sound.

the thing to know is that the flat response comes at the price of power usage. you need a more powerful amp to get the same apparent volume as compared to other speakers.

Back
Top Bottom