Anyone have any adice on audio interface and studio monitors

im wondering what equipment is best for recording my fractal into my laptop
i was told M-Audio Fast Track Pro was a good choice-
any opinions?
any advice on studio monitors would be great too;]

thanks
:mrgreen:

Re: Anyone have any adice on audio interface and studio moni

i use the fast track pro for direct recording [ im a new axe user] and its great. record in stereo.

no idea about monitors though ,until i get my pair of rokit 5's which should be arriving any minute. :)

jimbop said:
no idea about monitors though ,until i get my pair of rokit 5's which should be arriving any minute. :)
I've been running a pair of it in the last month and half, they're pretty good for bedroom/closet-studios. The basses won't make your guts go upside down but they're quite good for this range of product. Good sound overall, they're not tiring too.

For the interface I have a TC Electronic Konnekt 8 that offers all the I/O you'd need, the only problem is that it doesn't handle very well the firewire chipsets other than TI, and the driver are not very stable, so both combined I have quite often some disconnections, and unfortunately I'm far from being the only one. But sound-wise it' good too, and can run stand alone.

Wow thanks i need all the help i can get- this is all new to me
let me know how the rokit 5's work for you?
my friend recommened the yamaha msp5-
i was checking them out at the guitar center
then was looking for info on youtube and ran into the Adam a5
im confused :shock:
I wonder what rick ruben would do?

I have them plugged in my TC Electronic Konnekt 8, the Axe and the TC are linked via S/PDIF. Quite easy setup, this way I use my monitors both for just Axe FX playing and "studio"/multimedia purposes.

I was also hesitating with the Adams, but after a test in a shop (I raise here the usual IMO, FWIW flags) I didn't think the difference of sound matched the difference of price. The Adams were better in the basses, but I can't say I was found of the ribbon tweeter. But I'm also known as half deaf, so :lol: That's why I chose the KRKs which have, for me, one of the best bang for the buck. And I liked more the design, too (yeah, I know, very good criteria ! :oops: )

I didn't try the Yamahas.

Rick Ruben would have a better budget than we have and would take some super Genelec :mrgreen:

I've got a TC Konnekt24D which is nice and compact with lots of features but TC has been having driver problems for the longest time.
I've also got the fast track pro but almost never use it.

The one that kicks ass is the Fireface from RME. I've got the FF800 and have been using it with great results for several years now. RME's support is excellent. Aside from having good converters and decent preamps it has lots of options when it comes to connecting with other equipment and the drivers are awesome (well... as driver can be... it's important though). RME supported firewire 800 while the OS (Windows XP) did not (for some reason M$ decided at one point to slow down firewire connections down by half or even more). RME had 64bit support very early on and from a stability point of view they leave at least TC in the dust.

EDIT: As far as studio monitors go, I've got Genelec 8040A's paired an Adam8 sub. Sounds great. Before i had Yamaha MSP5's which are good for the price but soundwise don't compare to the genelec's of course. I also have a pair of Avant Mixcubes as my secondary monitors - I like them and they've saved my mixes a couple of times but I don't really have a reference point.

tgunn said:
I've got a TC Konnekt24D which is nice and compact with lots of features but TC has been having driver problems for the longest time.
True, they're a total crap :? I lost MIDI with the last version, hopefully I managed to go back to the previous version.

I'm not confident about the reliability anyhow, some connectors are strange, mainly the S/PDIF and firewire ones.

Back
Top Bottom