Anyone have an electric car?

It's really hard to avoid inferring generalities from experience. But bigger data sampling suggests BMW is pretty good. Not Lexus and Acura good. But in the upper quartile.

Tesla needs to stop avoiding the game and play it -- give up real maintenance records to the surveyors. This would end the debate of whether they are or are not reliable.
Acura isn't what it used to be either. Lexus is still top dog. Hyundai's Genesis brand is challenging Lexus for that spot. Supposed to be really good cars for the price.

I'm a Porsche guy. They have excellent reliability and quality but you pay for it.

90% of Land Rovers are still on the road... The rest have finally made it to their destination.

Seriously though British cars are notoriously unreliable. My friend had a Triumph TR-7. I've never knew a car could break down that often. If it was a moving part it broke. Everything from radiator fans to the steering box to the rear end. Ridiculous. Oh, and electrical problems, yikes.

A guitarist I knew had a TR-7. Caught fire one day, burned completely. Fortunately it was parked at the time with no one in it.

90% of Land Rovers are still on the road... The rest have finally made it to their destination.

Seriously though British cars are notoriously unreliable. My friend had a Triumph TR-7. I've never knew a car could break down that often. If it was a moving part it broke. Everything from radiator fans to the steering box to the rear end. Ridiculous. Oh, and electrical problems, yikes.

My girlfriend has an old Discovery that's been parked for about two years now. It's totally tricked out and really awesome in every way except that every time you fix something, something else breaks at an unbelievably inconvenient time. The last breakdown which brought it to it's current resting place was a 150 mile tow from the Appalachian mountains.

All it needs is between $1500 and $3000 worth of work to get it running...

Reactions: ESW
Acura isn't what it used to be either. Lexus is still top dog. Hyundai's Genesis brand is challenging Lexus for that spot. Supposed to be really good cars for the price.

I'm a Porsche guy. They have excellent reliability and quality but you pay for it.

Lexuses are fantastic cars. SC430 is still one of my favorite ever drives.
My family grew up with Jaguars; unbelievable maintenance headaches. Absolutely unreal.

Last edited:
CarMax has stopped selling Teslas because of all the reliability problems. The last reliability study I saw Tesla was dead last. Even behind Land Rover, Jaguar and (shudder) Fiat.

Land Rover reliability is legendary.
Teslas use younger tecnologies. Electronic and firmware scare normal people, but if it's you Cliff... you could upgrade their firmware in a few hours... :D

My neighbors have a mid-90s Land Rover Defender. One day I asked, "Does it run?" She said, "Oh, sure, it runs fine. We just need to get the chassis replaced, and you can't drive it in the rain or the electrical shorts out."

My friend had a Triumph TR-7. I've never knew a car could break down that often. If it was a moving part it broke. Everything from radiator fans to the steering box to the rear end. Ridiculous. Oh, and electrical problems, yikes.
Yeah, but they used La Villa Strangiato in the TV ad, so it's all good.

I wish I could find it on the internet.

Ah the Tr-7...I have guitars that stay in tune longer. What an engineering example those were.

Tesla is intriguing, and may restore my faith in US made at some point...until that time, I’ll only buy vehicles from countries that lost WW2 :tearsofjoy:

If it was a moving part it broke. Everything from radiator fans to...
Funny that you mention the radiator fan. Back in the day, my friend had an MGB GT. One day it was making a funny noise under the hood. He leaned over the hood to open it, at which point he heard a loud WHAM!, and looked down to see a brand-new bulge in the hood, just below his throat. Turns out that the radiator fan threw a blade. If he’d opened the hood two seconds earlier, he would have been decapitated.

I have recurring nightmares of the Discovery I had for too many years. It’s like they included wheels, engine, and body in the initial design drawings, but everything else was an afterthought. It was great for refining my diagnostic skills, but (to me) long term reliability is king and these don’t have it. Like a bmw - never get a land rover, unless you’re the type that lease vehicles, and give them back just as the warranty expires.

Thanks
Pauly

My girlfriend has an old Discovery that's been parked for about two years now. It's totally tricked out and really awesome in every way except that every time you fix something, something else breaks at an unbelievably inconvenient time. The last breakdown which brought it to it's current resting place was a 150 mile tow from the Appalachian mountains.

All it needs is between $1500 and $3000 worth of work to get it running...

The new Rav4 Prime looks quite interesting...potentially cake and eat it too being a plug in hybrid.
Hybrid means twice as many things that can break and will need maintenance. Not to mention take up the space.

As a Porsche guy as well, I concur. I own 2 Porsche’s today, one being a Macan GTS as my daily driver and the other a Boxtser S for the summer. Never a single issue with either. I’ve owned a half dozen Porsche’s and they have all have been amazingly reliable (I did have a rear main seal leak on my C4S, luckily Porsche fixed it under warranty). It certainly isn’t cheap but I grin every time I drive. I have been looking at the Taycan but I’m waiting until they work out some of the issues.

Back
Top Bottom